Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #2701
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Being in a walkway - think about snow shoveling issues also when making a cover.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #2702
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I was actually thinking of building a small "platform" to secure a lockable metal cover similar to what speede5 recommended. It would be a few inches high and slightly larger than the hole itself. Something kinda like a well cover type of design.

That way it's a cover that no kid(s) can kinda just flip over or open up with basic tools while still easily be opened without to much effort to look inside if needed. The metal mesh suggestion is a good one. I might consider that too so no one can accidentally drop a phone down there when flipping the cover open to check it or whatever.

Because it is on the concrete walk way, I guess I am also over thinking a scenario where someone is standing on top of that cover when it's covered in snow and it just gives out. With a raised cover, in theory, it is less likely someone is accidentally be standing on top of it.
What I would do is find an aluminum or galvanized steel plate, and screw it down to the good wood. Treated plywood not a bad option either.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #2703
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Seems like previous owner did you a solid and did the grunt work to install one of these. Would provide a cover and you'd get cold beer, win win.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #2704
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Here is a pic of the hole. Also, my memory was way off on the size of the hole.

Spoiler for size:
Spoiler!

The hole is 91 inches deep x 11" x 14" and is 10" from the side of the house.

The underground sprinkler cover idea would have been great had the hole not been situated smack dab in the middle of concrete. Are there any other hatch options that would work for this scenario but made of metal. That way it might work while still allowing the necessary ventilation and whatnot. I don't think I could screw it into the wood directly. That stuff is just as rotted as the plywood cover on it before.

I've temporarily taken a concrete stepping stone from my back yard and placed it where the rotting wood cover used to be. I wouldn't want a kid to step on that plywood and have it snap under their weight.
OMG, that's so deep. What a crazy hole.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #2705
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

That is absolutely terrifying.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #2706
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's what he said.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #2707
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
And the semi-regular...Man I miss Fotze.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #2708
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's what he said.
You could drop a pickle down there and it could reach the bottom without ever touching the sides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Seems like previous owner did you a solid and did the grunt work to install one of these. Would provide a cover and you'd get cold beer, win win.

"Hey guys, want a beer from the concrete chasm cooler?"

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-15-2020 at 09:04 AM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #2709
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Double F just discovered that whoever owned their house before was a serial killer...
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #2710
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am refinishing hardwood floors. Whats the consensus on buffing them after adding the last coat?
How hard is that? Have a few real rough patches on my floor and I want to to do something about it but don't want to drop 5k
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #2711
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
How hard is that? Have a few real rough patches on my floor and I want to to do something about it but don't want to drop 5k
It's not a 'hard' job persay, but it requires patience, planning, and a bit of common sense when using the sanders to prep the floor for stain/varnish.

The drum sander is easy to manouver but you need a steady rhythm to get a smooth finish. The edge sander takes a bit of practice so best to start in the closets with it.

Also depending how much area you have to do you have to get all the furniture out, and the dust gets everywhere. The last house i did, a 900Sq bungalow, 3 bedrooms with closets, living room, dining room and hallway, we moved everything into storage on thursday, I started friday after work and we were back in on monday. It was a long weekend but turned out fantastic. haha
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 PM   #2712
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Here is a pic of the hole. Also, my memory was way off on the size of the hole.

Spoiler for size:
Spoiler!

The underground sprinkler cover idea would have been great had the hole not been situated smack dab in the middle of concrete. Are there any other hatch options that would work for this scenario but made of metal. That way it might work while still allowing the necessary ventilation and whatnot. I don't think I could screw it into the wood directly. That stuff is just as rotted as the plywood cover on it before.

I've temporarily taken a concrete stepping stone from my back yard and placed it where the rotting wood cover used to be. I wouldn't want a kid to step on that plywood and have it snap under their weight.
Super weird hole. Would it be drainage with wood on the side? I'm not sure that makes sense.
I wonder if you can create a wood cover with a smaller insert attached that drops into the hole a few feet? Easy enough to pull out for an adult, difficult for a child?

======
====.==
======
======
======
Old 05-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #2713
Ugly Kid Joe
Draft Pick

Quote:

Spoiler for size:
Spoiler!

My guess is that is a small well for a sump pump. The eye bolt and bolts were for a rail/lifting system to get a small pump up and down the "well".
Ugly Kid Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ugly Kid Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #2714
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler for size:
Spoiler!

Looks like you should start a reality TV show featuring the excavation of this hole with many pre-commercial break fade always of people over reacting about what the viewer is about to realize is really not anything. Diversity of excavation techniques and episodes featuring the finding of old rotted wood are encouraged.

Interviews with random old guys that heard pass down stories and old sketches will also be required.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #2715
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I have a smart lock on the front door of my house that needed batteries (4 AA) replaced. I replaced them but noticed within minutes the light was blinking red again indicating low battery. I took out the batteries case and on the bottom it was so hot it burnt my hand and the plastic was melting. This is likely a short in the wiring somewhere but I am glad I took out the batteries when I did before it got worse. The lock is about 7 years old and prior to this I've had no issues with it.

What should I do now? Contact Weiser and ask for a replacement and notify them of the safety issue, or contact local retailers like Home Depot who sell the lock to notify them of the safety issue (or both)?

Same type of batteries as before? I know some AA are different voltage. Whether it is enough to cause a problem, I don’t know.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #2716
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Looks like you should start a reality TV show featuring the excavation of this hole with many pre-commercial break fade always of people over reacting about what the viewer is about to realize is really not anything. Diversity of excavation techniques and episodes featuring the finding of old rotted wood are encouraged.

Interviews with random old guys that heard pass down stories and old sketches will also be required.
“Could it be the lost manuscripts of William Shakespeare?”
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #2717
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post

And maybe they will finally find the templars treasure several seasons later
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #2718
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Home improvement journal for today:

Swung by Lowes... saw the lineup, went home. Productive morning
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #2719
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

With a plug for the giant hole on the side burner for now while I wait to borrow some tools, I decided to quickly swap the dead Maytag FC10 garburator in my home. I nabbed an insinkerator and after a ton of confusion and chaos today, I think that whoever installed my granite sink used clear silicone to stick the sink flange to the sink rather than plumber putty. There's something clear underneath that feels like dried hot glue and can kinda rub off.

Is this a reasonable assumption? The flange is really stuck on and definitely doesn't pop out like all other DIY videos.

The Maytag flange is not compatible with the insinkerator flange.

How do I get this thing off? Should I try something like spraying WD40 from underneath till I'm high as a kite and the silicone is weak enough to rip off the old flange and install the new flange? I got a good deal on the garborator and prices have shot up lately, so I prefer this approach.

Or should I bail on the insinkerator and find a different garbage disposal that uses a 3 bolt mounting system because removing the flange is going to be Nigh impossible?

The waste water pipe is also going to need to be modified to connect it.

Should I DIY this whole thing or hire someone to do the PVC pipe related stuff?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #2720
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

PVC pipe stuff is easy. Use new cement and the correct kind for the plastic you are joining,, dry fit everything, follow directions, don’t force joints into place so have extra pipe for when you cut stuff too short

Also review rules on traps and slopes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote