Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #3881
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
Old 10-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #3882
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Who wants 9M a year

Hanifin is 23 and Bennett is 24 also

I'm not sure I would do it honestly
Tkachuk will need 9 mill at a minimum in 2 years. While the cap is still flat.
Depending on the progression of the players, it might be better value paying Laine that amount. Assuming he gets 50 goals before then.
Right now, I would rather have Tkachuk. But I do think Laine is more likely to put up 50+ goals or 90+ points.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #3883
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Tkachuk will need 9 mill at a minimum in 2 years. While the cap is still flat.
Depending on the progression of the players, it might be better value paying Laine that amount. Assuming he gets 50 goals before then.
Right now, I would rather have Tkachuk. But I do think Laine is more likely to put up 50+ goals or 90+ points.
He better have a pretty great next two years then...you don't pay 60-70 point guys 9M
Old 10-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #3884
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think moving on from Bennett now, after all these years, when he's finally showing signs of living up to his draft ranking is a bad idea. Like if "playoff Bennett" is regular season Bennett under Geoff Ward, you have to see how that plays out, no?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #3885
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He better have a pretty great next two years then...you don't pay 60-70 point guys 9M
Don't think the Flames have any choice.
I believe that will be his QO.

Its a poison pill for sure and hopefully Tkachuk lives up to it.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #3886
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Don't think the Flames have any choice.
I believe that will be his QO.

Its a poison pill for sure and hopefully Tkachuk lives up to it.
They can negotiate an extension prior to needing to qualify him at that number though, and the extension dollar figure doesn't need to be $9M.

Depending how the economic situation is looking around the league, if the Flames were to offer a $8M x 8 year extension for example, I doubt he opts to just take the 1 year $9M qualifier.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #3887
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
They can negotiate an extension prior to needing to qualify him at that number though, and the extension dollar figure doesn't need to be $9M.

Depending how the economic situation is looking around the league, if the Flames were to offer a $8M x 8 year extension for example, I doubt he opts to just take the 1 year $9M qualifier.
I see. Thanks; was not aware of that.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #3888
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Time will tell, I mean he did hold out until preseason to get that deal and (future) qualifying offer.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #3889
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I see. Thanks; was not aware of that.
Of course the risk is that Tkachuk says "I just want the 1 year qualifier and take my chances at free agency". At the press conference for his last extension however he specifically talked about wanting a long term deal but was aware the money was tight at that time.

So hopefully he and the team figure out a significant extension early.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #3890
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I they can't sign Tkachuk to a multi-year extension before his qualifying offer is due, then trade him at that point (as much as I hate to think about it).

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-26-2020 at 12:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #3891
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think moving on from Bennett now, after all these years, when he's finally showing signs of living up to his draft ranking is a bad idea. Like if "playoff Bennett" is regular season Bennett under Geoff Ward, you have to see how that plays out, no?
"playoff Bennett" - or even 85% of that - would be the best centre on this team in my opinion.

but I'm completely expecting him to be back on the 4th line, probably centred by Simon and opposite Zac Rinaldo, by game 2 of the regular season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #3892
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would be surprised to see Rinaldo anywhere near the opening night roster, particularly if the team runs with just 22 players to start.

I think Bennett will have pretty solid linemates wherever he plays. Even Simon and Leivo would probably be good on his flanks.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #3893
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
"playoff Bennett" - or even 85% of that - would be the best centre on this team in my opinion.

but I'm completely expecting him to be back on the 4th line, probably centred by Simon and opposite Zac Rinaldo, by game 2 of the regular season.
I guess we'll see. I think the Sam Bennett we saw in the bubble is the best he's ever looked. And I would say that until that point, I would consider myself a Sam Bennett "hater". Or rather, resigned to the fact that he was just a useful bottom 6 forward. You have to at least try Bennett and Dube as a pairing, since they were great together.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #3894
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

It will be up to Sam. Not sure what to expect.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #3895
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sam will be back to his old ways but thats alright. The team is good enough to make the playoffs and he can turn it on as usual.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #3896
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So, you would balk at 1 year’ $9M but jump at a 8 year, $8M?

The fact of the matter is, Tkachuk is squarely in the drivers seat with his next contract. He can sit back and take a huge 1 year deal if he wants to remain in control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #3897
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Sam I want him to have a chance at Center for sure and there are two combos I’d like to see given a try.

First combo

Mangiapane - Bennett - Dube

Super young line still with a ton of growing potential still, lots of speed and tenacity and a ton of finishing ability too especially if Bennett can play to his potential.

Mangiapane - Bennett - Tkachuk

It’s long been stated that Tkachuk has the potential to be an offensive beast on his off wing and I can totally see why, he had an awkwardly good release off the wing and if you can get him firing the puck closer in the slot come from his off-wing I think he could be a 40 goal guy. Mangiapane is a 5 on 5 beast and would fit in well with the style of this line and a great chance for Bennett to play with a top end player in Chucky.

What I’m loving is the shear amount of potential combinations with the roster now! Extremely excited to see how this team looks on the ice!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #3898
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
So, you would balk at 1 year’ $9M but jump at a 8 year, $8M?

The fact of the matter is, Tkachuk is squarely in the drivers seat with his next contract. He can sit back and take a huge 1 year deal if he wants to remain in control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Contract totals of $64M vs $9M.

Given the current economic reality and the likely slow cap increases in the NHL for years to come as a result, I suspect the smarter players in similar situations around the league will prefer the long term assurances if they are happy with their current teams vs risking a reduced salary as a UFA just to sign the bigger 1 year qualifier.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #3899
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its pretty obvious to me why Bennett can't play that style in the regular season...he wants to have a career.

Look no further than Ferland or even Benett himself (torn triceps in play in round)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #3900
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its pretty obvious to me why Bennett can't play that style in the regular season...he wants to have a career.

Look no further than Ferland or even Benett himself (torn triceps in play in round)
Plus when he tries to play that hard in the reg season he just gets called for a million penalties
Closed Thread