Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #3481
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had my R3 for about 4 years now, and I've used the original saddle since I bought the bike. I've thought about upgrading it for a while, but figured I'd do it next year, or after my two upcoming fondos. With my registration in the PGAMO, I got 20% off any in stock Specialized saddles at my LBS. One looked pretty good, and they said I could return it, so I bought it. I didn't want to mess with my current set up, so I figured I'd put it on after my July 10 ride. I ended up putting it on last night, as I have no will power or patience.

It's awesome! I wish I had done this much sooner. I've only biked about 20 minutes on it, and it's so much more comfortable than the previous one. There is a lot of pressure taken of certain points. I'll be doing a 40km ride tonight and a 50 km on Sunday, to ensure everything still feels good, but I'm very impressed.

It's the Specialized Power Expert https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/co...-expert/105546. With my 20% discount, it cost me $112. I liked the Power Pro, but the regular price was $220 (Expert was $140). I didn't feel the $80 more was justified, for the seat to weight 20 grams less, but I almost got it because the Pro comes in red. My tires, water bottle holders, bike accent colours, and most of my cycling gear has red in it. Yes I understand that the only time you can see the red is when you are not riding on it, but it looks really cool at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #3482
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

they make great saddles. I've had one on my roadie for years.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #3483
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dodged the rain on the way home today!
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #3484
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone taken bike lessons? I'm a decent biker, but I'd like to be better, faster, more efficient, etc. I looked online, and can't seem to find anything. Some google searching has lead me beginner courses, safety courses, and maintenance courses. I can find lessons for swimming, running, math, Chinese, and cooking, but I can't find anything for cycling.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #3485
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Has anyone taken bike lessons? I'm a decent biker, but I'd like to be better, faster, more efficient, etc. I looked online, and can't seem to find anything. Some google searching has lead me beginner courses, safety courses, and maintenance courses. I can find lessons for swimming, running, math, Chinese, and cooking, but I can't find anything for cycling.
I have never taken lessons per se, but I have received instruction from clubs I have belonged to.

The ABA has some events for skills development, too, but you might have to wait until 2017.

http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/events

Momentum has clinics/camps:

http://www.momentumcycling.ca/

I don't know anything about them; they just turned up on a Google search.

If mountain biking is your thing, Winsport offers lessons. If you're willing to travel, places like Fernie and Silver Star offer instruction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #3486
andywtong
Draft Pick

Quote:
My wife and I have taken lessons and they were amazing. So much progress in so little time. We travelled to whistler a few times to take a course put on by Trek Dirt Series (they only offer the coed camps in whistler). Amazing coaches who aren't there to show boat or boost their ego. You'd never know it but the coaches teaching the higher level groups are World Cup racers. Highly recommended and we are thinking about doing it again this summer.

Andy
Old 07-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #3487
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

no riding this weekend? Took my oversized carcass on a 100km ride. Did not too bad, averaged just under 25km/h even with the massive headwind on the turnaround.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #3488
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ no riding for me this weekend as we were away at a family reunion in the middle of nowhere Alberta.

I still have yet to get my Thunderbolt out on dirt thanks to all this rain in the evenings.....getting very frustrated
Old 07-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #3489
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still getting used to some of the rules on cycling downtown, I have what may be a novice question. Hopefully this makes sense to those of you familiar riding downtown:

If I'm using the cycle track on 5th street (headed south) and eventually need to turn right onto an avenue without cycle track (I live on 14th ave), what is the proper way to do so?

There is no bike turn box like there is when connecting with other cycle tracks, there is lots of bike traffic behind me and also coming the other direction, and there is vehicle traffic running alongside the bike track. Where am I supposed to stop to make that right turn without blocking off the lane on the cycle track?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #3490
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
I've had my R3 for about 4 years now, and I've used the original saddle since I bought the bike. I've thought about upgrading it for a while, but figured I'd do it next year, or after my two upcoming fondos. With my registration in the PGAMO, I got 20% off any in stock Specialized saddles at my LBS. One looked pretty good, and they said I could return it, so I bought it. I didn't want to mess with my current set up, so I figured I'd put it on after my July 10 ride. I ended up putting it on last night, as I have no will power or patience.

It's awesome! I wish I had done this much sooner. I've only biked about 20 minutes on it, and it's so much more comfortable than the previous one. There is a lot of pressure taken of certain points. I'll be doing a 40km ride tonight and a 50 km on Sunday, to ensure everything still feels good, but I'm very impressed.

It's the Specialized Power Expert https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/co...-expert/105546. With my 20% discount, it cost me $112. I liked the Power Pro, but the regular price was $220 (Expert was $140). I didn't feel the $80 more was justified, for the seat to weight 20 grams less, but I almost got it because the Pro comes in red. My tires, water bottle holders, bike accent colours, and most of my cycling gear has red in it. Yes I understand that the only time you can see the red is when you are not riding on it, but it looks really cool at that point.
Was your old saddle the Seta one?

My ass is constantly in a battle with that seat after about 30 km. might have to check out the one you've got now.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #3491
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I'm still getting used to some of the rules on cycling downtown, I have what may be a novice question. Hopefully this makes sense to those of you familiar riding downtown:

If I'm using the cycle track on 5th street (headed south) and eventually need to turn right onto an avenue without cycle track (I live on 14th ave), what is the proper way to do so?

There is no bike turn box like there is when connecting with other cycle tracks, there is lots of bike traffic behind me and also coming the other direction, and there is vehicle traffic running alongside the bike track. Where am I supposed to stop to make that right turn without blocking off the lane on the cycle track?
Marking. My current method, because it works, is to slow down on the cycle track until the light turns and then I turn onto the non cycle track street with the light (for me, it's 12 Ave to 10 St). There isn't much cycle traffic, though, folks can get around me if need be. If it was just me, I would move onto 10th and position my bike towards my destination but I pull a chariot behind me and I can't do it without jackknifing the bike&trailer.
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #3492
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

this can definitely be a little tricky. if it's a green, i will continue through the intersection and then stop and try to realign my bike heading in the new direction behind the crosswalk. if there's room I try to pull a "J" so I end up behind the crosswalk and out of the way of the bike lane. the person in the car behind me now might be a bit pissed, but don't really see another way to do it without a bike box. or go in front of the crosswalk and bike lane if there's room. or dismount and walk you bike on the sidewalk.

I'm sure the city has something to say about this but might have to browse the website a bit to find it. The city also sent out a flyer detailing some of this stuff, it's taped to my door right now but it's on the map side not the instruction side and i'm not gonna go look at it for you at the moment. sorry, maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by worth; 07-04-2016 at 11:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #3493
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Down 10 lbs as of last night!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #3494
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ nice

I seems to be on a bit of a lucky streak as the last 5 times it has rained hard in the afternoon, I was able to get home with 5-10 minutes to spare before it started raining.

Now, if only it would stop raining this week and the sun would come out and dry out the trails for the weekend......
Old 07-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #3495
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Was your old saddle the Seta one?

My ass is constantly in a battle with that seat after about 30 km. might have to check out the one you've got now.
My previous saddle on my R3 was a Fizik Arione. It's basically this saddle http://www.fizik.com/eu_en/men/saddl...e-classic.html but was black with a red stripe down the middle.

I did about 75 km on it Sunday and it still feels great. There is so much less pressure on my man parts, and that's by design. Going down into the drop bars is much friendlier on my boys. It's an aggressive saddle, and is much shorter than a regular saddle, so getting it fit properly was key. Because the back and width of the saddle is slightly different from my Fizik, the pressure points on my sit bones are slightly different. The first day was a little more sore there then I'd like, but after a few days of riding, my butt has gotten used to it and adjusted well. I'd highly recommend the saddle for use on a road bike, and longer rides. If you are just going around town, there are probably better options that aren't as aggressive.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #3496
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

60% chance of no rain before 1 pm in bragg creek tomorrow - my plan is to get up early and be back home by 10.30.

looking forward to giving the new thunderbolt as taste of dirt
Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #3497
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
60% chance of no rain before 1 pm in bragg creek tomorrow - my plan is to get up early and be back home by 10.30.

looking forward to giving the new thunderbolt as taste of dirt
Take that sweet bike out and get it dirty.

Oh yah... pictures or it never happened.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #3498
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

When do you get used to clipless pedals? I switched over about 30 kms ago and I feel like I am going to have an epic wipeout at any moment.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #3499
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ took me about two or three weeks to get used to them, even still I get a little nervous at times as I feel like I will have a slow speed tip over
Old 07-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #3500
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

^. I had a slow speed wipeout the other day. As I tipped over, I was laughing as my foot just wouldn't release from the side I needed.
Closed Thread