Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #3081
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No one has said crypto is worthless, it is worth 55 today, it was worth 22 a year ago and 77 a year before that, what everyone is saying (including yourself with your last post) is that it's value is utterly based on how people feel about it, it's value isnt based on anything in particular but the market's perception of its wealth, Microsoft's value has massively increased due to its lead in AI, if Google drops an AI that is massively better than Microsoft's them it's value as a company drops and Google improves.

BTC has none of that, it's value, even events that should increase its value, halfing, ETF's etc are all based solely on the idea that people will value it more, they are all built on the same basic premise, that it will go up in value because it has before, now obviously it might, but if perception of value is all an asset has to give it value then it can also just as easily lose its value if the market decides it isnt going to go up, if it loses value for any length of time it can snowball into a total collapse, the whole thing is predicated on feelings, that makes it vunerable to wholesale loss
Is this why you never invested? How did that work out for you?

Put another way, who gives a ####? Would you rather have a death grip on your ideals or make money? I made a bunch of cash on LCID I never believed in the company.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:31 PM   #3082
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No one has said crypto is worthless, it is worth 55 today, it was worth 22 a year ago and 77 a year before that, what everyone is saying (including yourself with your last post) is that it's value is utterly based on how people feel about it, it's value isnt based on anything in particular but the market's perception of its wealth, Microsoft's value has massively increased due to its lead in AI, if Google drops an AI that is massively better than Microsoft's them it's value as a company drops and Google improves.

BTC has none of that, it's value, even events that should increase its value, halfing, ETF's etc are all based solely on the idea that people will value it more, they are all built on the same basic premise, that it will go up in value because it has before, now obviously it might, but if perception of value is all an asset has to give it value then it can also just as easily lose its value if the market decides it isnt going to go up, if it loses value for any length of time it can snowball into a total collapse, the whole thing is predicated on feelings, that makes it vunerable to wholesale loss
You might want to re-evaluate who you have been agreeing with and thanking posts of. BTC is worthless and dead according to them. We have post history.

Peak bubble was $3k its over man like years back. The value of BTC is the hands that hold it, do some research on who is buying BTC and who holds the most of it. It's not dying guys, it will fluctuate but it's not going anywhere. I tried to help people out and was attacked so here we are.

Last edited by dino7c; 01-20-2024 at 06:35 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:40 PM   #3083
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess I can understand the bitterness. I missed out on AAPL, NVDA, AMD* and and bunch of others. Back then I never thought about investing my life was my job. I finally got smart, identified companies I saw as the next Apple and went for it.

Those opportunities still exist today but you have to think long term, 10 years.

*I owned AMD in 2004 sold at around the peak when Opteron was a thing. That's what being short sighted gets you.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 06:41 PM   #3084
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I don't. A giant waste of resources that accomplished nothing useful, let those who contributed to the bubble provide a lesson to others. Not that it'll make any long-term difference, but the schadenfreude still tastes sweet.
Posted in 2018 with a $6000 BTC

thanked by the usual suspects
Old 01-20-2024, 06:44 PM   #3085
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Is this why you never invested? How did that work out for you?

Put another way, who gives a ####? Would you rather have a death grip on your ideals or make money? I made a bunch of cash on LCID I never believed in the company.
I'm 62, I tend to invest my life, because at 62 you cannot replace your savings if you eff them up the way you can at 30 and I dont fancy sleeping in a tent in Crab Park, in secure dividend paying shares and ETF's, I have a 10% 'wtf' fund I put on chancers, that's where my weight loss drug money went and that's paying me a fortune, I did make money on Crypto but I applied the gold rush rule, the guys that made money weren't the miners it was the guys that sold the shovels, I made a mint on NVIDIA because of crypto.

I'm old enough to remember and even made and lost money on the dot com boom, alot of people made a ton of money on those worthless grifts, it was all very Wolf of Wall St, hookers and blow everywhere and all that money is gone, the companies all worthless, crypto will probably be your generations dot com, doesnt mean you can't make many fleecing rubes yourself, it just means it's a bubble
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:45 PM   #3086
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
i have a nice line on some tulips if you are interested...i hear they are due for a bump.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #3087
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Posted in 2018 with a $6000 BTC

thanked by the usual suspects
Wow that's very unfortunate.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #3088
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsor_pilates View Post
dang, going to zero soon i'd guess.
So glad i didn't get into the bitcoin hype when every random person i met wanted to sell it to you like a drug dealer.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:50 PM   #3089
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha wow

It's funny to read these posts from 2018 and then see the smugness from the same posters now.

How can you be that wrong back then but still show up in this thread now to pile on the guy who was obviously right?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #3090
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only people that say crypto is worthless are people that haven't made any money on crypto.
You’re failing to distinguish. BTC isn’t crypto. Crypto isn’t BTC.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:54 PM   #3091
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

dino probably responding to my posts and thinking I’m reading his responses is hilarious.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:54 PM   #3092
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You’re failing to distinguish. BTC isn’t crypto. Crypto isn’t BTC.
Oh I see. So if you bought DOGE 6 years ago your investment would be at $0.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:04 PM   #3093
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I see. So if you bought DOGE 6 years ago your investment would be at $0.
Just continual broken record bull####. “Crypto is dead” “Crypto is dead” “Crypto is dead” and zero ability to converse about the differences between them. A lot of the views one way are about BTC not the entirety of crypto. Only one side of this debate makes any effort to separate. Hence why there’s one side having a discussion and the other side coming in seething like one who’s whole life is entrenched into a MLM scheme and there are views being expressed against it.

If only broken records were worth $45k you guys could be trillionaires.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:11 PM   #3094
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just continual broken record bull####. “Crypto is dead” “Crypto is dead” “Crypto is dead” and zero ability to converse about the differences between them. A lot of the views one way are about BTC not the entirety of crypto. Only one side of this debate makes any effort to separate. Hence why there’s one side having a discussion and the other side coming in seething like one who’s whole life is entrenched into a MLM scheme and there are views being expressed against it.

If only broken records were worth $45k you guys could be trillionaires.
Tell me how to invest, give me a strategy. Clearly I have no understanding of anything and am a broken record. School me I'm listening.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:12 PM   #3095
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
dino probably responding to my posts and thinking I’m reading his responses is hilarious.
yet he still talks about me...rent free. I get it he couldn't stand the heat. This is why I love math. It doesn't care about your personal digs or insults its just math. There is no debate in math, the numbers are the numbers and the numbers are on my side and IMO will continue to be.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:14 PM   #3096
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tell me how to invest, give me a strategy. Clearly I have no understanding of anything and am a broken record. School me I'm listening.
He goes to a bank and has someone not good enough at managing money to not have a day job manage his finances for a cool 5% a year.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:14 PM   #3097
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not here to tell people what to do or not do with their money. I don’t insist that others take my advice on anything and then rail on it for several years when they don’t give a crap about what I have to say. I’m also not here to publicize my financial position because I don’t need recognition from an internet forum.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:23 PM   #3098
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet here he is again and again and again to tell us how dumb Crypto is

Math

There is a thread about rap music on CP, I hate Rap music. Do I go in there daily to tell them how much it sucks? Nope I just don't go in that thread.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:25 PM   #3099
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Wow, interesting you found that.
As I've recently posted, I did end up buying in a few years ago and changed my tune. Not afraid to admit that, I was wrong about it and should have bought sooner.

Thankfully for me I've done very well and Vancouver real estate which I work in and understand better, so my investments have been just fine. I don't lose sleep thinking about the crypto I didn't buy.

I still feel Bitcoin is all speculation, but have come to realize that in itself is/was enough to make it a profitable investment. I was being too logical about it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 07:30 PM   #3100
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Wow, interesting you found that.
As I've recently posted, I did end up buying in a few years ago and changed my tune. Not afraid to admit that, I was wrong about it and should have bought sooner.

Thankfully for me I've done very well and Vancouver real estate which I work in and understand better, so my investments have been just fine. I don't lose sleep thinking about the crypto I didn't buy.

I still feel Bitcoin is all speculation, but have come to realize that in itself is/was enough to make it a profitable investment. I was being too logical about it.
I apologize, I may have confused you with someone else...I have been wrong about lots of things too.

I was more responding to "nobody said it was dead/worthless"

That was obviously inaccurate

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum