Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #201
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

People need to stop saying gifted. Vegas was gifted nothing.

They drafted players the team couldn’t keep and/or didn’t want to keep. They drafted a contender.

They bought a team and everyone agreed the rules were both appropriate and fair to build a competitive team (not a doormat). The fact Vegas outperformed expectations is down to good management and drafting, nothing more.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #202
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well hopefully they don't blow it again next year.
Well I think the general rule in the NHL is that at any time there are probably 5-10 active GMs that are just outright bad at their job....so I wouldn't count on it.

The biggest thing that I think is B.S. is that Vegas is exempt from this expansion draft for Seattle. That was B.S. favoritism for Vegas IMO, but they also don't get a share of the $650M so I guess that's fair .

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-18-2020 at 03:05 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #203
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

They drafted players the team couldn’t keep and/or didn’t want to keep. They drafted a contender.

They bought a team and everyone agreed the rules were both appropriate and fair to build a competitive team (not a doormat). The fact Vegas outperformed expectations is down to good management and drafting, nothing more.
Just because they played within the rules doesn’t mean I can’t hate them and be mad at the rules they were allowed to play within.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #204
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The biggest thing that I think is B.S. is that Vegas is exempt from this expansion draft for Seattle. That was B.S. favoritism for Vegas IMO, but they also don't get a share of the $650M so I guess that's fair .
In a way it is funny that 30 other owners want that extra 700 grand each so badly that they decide to willingly let the new team have a pretty significant advantage over them for what should be petty cash to these guys.

The way Vegas is playing...I think they would have disposed of the Flames in 4 unless Talbot was able to steal one. I still like to blame Bieksa for their success. Selfish doof won't waive his no trade....next thing they get Shea Theodore given to them. If I was Bob Murray...I would have all the mirrors taken out of my house.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #205
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya... thats a stretch. When the you bribe owners to let a new kid play the game they only see dollar signs not like the leugue needed a 31st team and recently a 32nd team.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #206
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas with as many trips to the 2nd round in 3 years as Calgary has in 30.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #207
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hoodwinking other GM's and superior talent evaluation is not what I would call being gifted. The Knights are a prime example of what can be done from scratch with top notch management and coaching. Even when they fired Galant they replaced him with another proven coach. Good organizations don't mess around with coaching hires.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #208
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hoodwinking other GM's and superior talent evaluation is not what I would call being gifted. The Knights are a prime example of what can be done from scratch with top notch management and coaching. Even when they fired Galant they replaced him with another proven coach. Good organizations don't mess around with coaching hires.
The bolded stands out for me.

I thought they had a lot of cast offs and misfit toys. I don't think I was close to alone. Boy were we wrong. Turns out they knew who was good and who wasn't more so than a lot of us and pundits and other GMs.

Look no further than Florida (sorry Cali) who got absolutely swindled. Vegas identified Florida's key players better than Florida did.

Some of it is you can't protect everyone - but I don't think that's the headline here. It was diamond in the rough from multiple teams - that's superior talent evaluation.

Last edited by Benched; 08-19-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #209
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

And don't forget they took a group of castoffs and made them into a great team. They had a great coach. The perfect coach for the group of players they had.

I just have to say that I admire the Hawks for their determination and desire. They fought the whole way.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #210
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas is going to be a tough opponent for any team that gets into the second round, though if the Flames do squeeze in, I'd rather play Vegas than Colorado.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #211
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were gifted the easiest expansion rules ever

With teams only being allowed to protect one goalie and 3 D it was pretty easy to make a good team right off the bat. How shrewd do you have to be to draft MAF? They made some good moves but with those rules and geography it wasn't rocket appliances.

No matter what you can't really compare their "build" because it's apples and oranges. Most of the league would trade their team for a draft with those rules IMO.

The Wings have to give Seattle a player but Vegas doesn't lol
Old 08-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #212
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

With teams only being allowed to protect one goalie and 3 D it was pretty easy to make a good team right off the bat. How shrewd do you have to be to draft MAF? They made some good moves but with those rules and geography it wasn't rocket appliances.

No matter what you can't really compare their "build" because it's apples and oranges. Most of the league would trade their team for a draft with those rules IMO.

Not a chance a team (outside of Detroit maybe) trades their roster for a draft with those rules.

It's been outlined in this thread multiple times already but the players the Knights were able to draft weren't world beaters.

What made them a contender was 5 GMs that made absolutely horrible moves instead of just losing one player.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Aside from MAF (who lots of people thought was on a downward path), what players they got were well known as top guys? I actually thought going in they had made the mistake of drafting a middling team that was not going to be in line for a top draft pick the following year, but was also not going to be a contender.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #214
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The league Didn't want Vegas to be ####. That is no good for revenue and league growth. The league succeeded and with that they got a lot of attention too the the Knights going to the finals the first year. The draft did what it was supposed to. Plus everyone thought their team was ####ty going into the league. They did not have anyone really flashy, but did great as a team and than added more parts. You cannot say they were gift anything when everyone actually thought they did bad in the expansion draft.