Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Final Fantasy XIV

So who is going to give this a shot. Pretty much thinking of passing on Cataclysm to give this a real shot. Really looking forward to Diablo 3 so this should fill teh void until then. Can't believe the headstart they give for collectors edition but with everything it looks to be worth the extra cost. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Raekwon; 07-05-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gotta pick myself up a new PC for this and Diablo3.
I sunk 5 years into FF11....
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

What was FFXI like? I remember hearing it was pretty much just a non-stop grind-fest replete with gold farmers galore. (Paraphrasing, of course).

I'm a FF fan, so I am interested in hearing about this some more. Hopefully it's not the same as FFXI.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I took a look at this.. but I heard terrible things about FFXI. Basically what FanIn80 said, just a non stop grind fest and levels were painfully slow.

I'll have to take a closer look at the PvP as we near launch time.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, after playing DAoC for 5 years (back in the day), I don't think I could handle another grind-fest.

I'm always keeping an eye out for new games to try, though. With my current amount of spare time (not very much), I need something that is quick to play and doesn't take a degree in brain surgery to figure anything out. Log in, get something done, log out.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

FFXI was not for the casual gamer if you intended on doing anything "end game"

Leveling parties were brutal, from level 15-75 you pretty much required 5 other people to play with. Consisting of a tank, healer, support, damage dealers. Some people found it really hard to put up with this, the communities died out quickly. Server sizes were about 3000-5000 people, depending on when you played.

Japanese and NA played on the same servers, and there was an "Auto translate" function which allowed you to get across the language barriers to function together in the game, this feature will be in FFXIV as well.

If you liked WoW, you probably won't like Final Fantasy online. If you hated how easy WoW was and how annoying little kids were, then final fantasy might be the game for you.

It's hard to say how much FFXIV has improved over FF11's flaws, I haven't read much of the alpha/beta testers reviews.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am currently Beta/Alpha Testing it, but that is all I can say based on NDA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
As soon as that NDA is lifted I expect a full report for everyone to base their decisions
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucky you Ethaniel. The last game I beta-tested was Diablo 2. I'm still holding out hope that my friend can get me a Cataclysm beta copy. He knows people that work for Blizzard.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a good PC for this?
I heard the SE benchmark download is pure BS and you just need anything dualcore with a decent enough video card. Intel i5 recommended though.

I'm looking to pick up an i7 with an ATI 5870 card for this game and Diablo3.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes the Alpha Settings were very high and I had no issues though.
For the BETA the Settings have dropped slightly, but not dramatically. Alot of Testers are actually debating getting a new computer for the game.

Minecraft and more!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yeah, after playing DAoC for 5 years (back in the day), I don't think I could handle another grind-fest.

I'm always keeping an eye out for new games to try, though. With my current amount of spare time (not very much), I need something that is quick to play and doesn't take a degree in brain surgery to figure anything out. Log in, get something done, log out.

Really you thought DAOC was bad? I always thought that WOW was so much worse. At least in DAoC when you built a template it was relevant for a year or more, in WOW you have to grind new gear every 6 months. A FULL SET, in DAoC it was like a new one or two pieces (besides TOA).

TOA was a grind fest for sure, the first two years of DAOC were not bad at all, then when TOA hit the work load just trippled. They have even said in the past that they woul do it over again if they could... but even that for me didnt compare to having scheduled raids for a chance at gear etc..

But I also had a lot more free time back in the DAOC days so maybe that is why... either way DAOC > WOW I played on Andred and Mordred so we didn't have to deal with Artifacts or ML's since nobody had much of either heh..
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah the beginning was awesome. I loved Classic and SI. ToA is what killed it for me. I played on Gaheris and was a raid leader on the server. Man, oh man. Leading random newbs through those ML runs was nasty.

I loved doing ML7 privately with my guild/alliance though. 9 and 10 were pretty fun too. The other ones were a huge pain in the ass for me, and the worst part was that most of the rewarded skills were PvP-focused. Even on the Co-Op server. Our server TL brought it up time and time again, and they refused to change it for Gaheris.

Before all that stuff, I led server raids on the three epic dungeons in SI. Now that was fun. 100+ people zerging everything. For a while, there was only myself and one other guy who had successfully led raids against all three dungeons.

TG was my favourite, followed by Sidi and then... a long ways away from the other two... Gala.

Edit: I'm such a geek.

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-06-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All I can specify is that Beta has begun on FFXIV and it is much improved compared to the Alpha Version. It just started in the last week, so I have lots of testing and reporting to do.

Minecraft and more!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All I can specify is that Beta has begun on FFXIV and it is much improved compared to the Alpha Version. It just started in the last week, so I have lots of testing and reporting to do.
You sir, are at the top of the mountain when it comes to professions. I applaude you, and wish I could be in that industry some day.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I doubt I'll give this one a go, which will be a shame as I do really enjoy FF in all its incarnations (well except maybe X-2, I really didn't like X-2 that much)
It's just odd that FFXIV is coming out after SE went and made a whole bunch of changes and improvements to FFXI with more scheduled in the coming months as well.
I know alot of the people that I currently play XI with will be getting and moving over to XIV, but I just don't have the kind of time that I used to, to seriously take starting a MMORPG from scratch.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You sir, are at the top of the mountain when it comes to professions. I applaude you, and wish I could be in that industry some day.
You want to be in the oilfield industry too?
Just a tester man signed up and luckily was selected.

They increased the time period in which the Tester can play to about 60 hrs a week from 12 hrs so it is progressing nicely. I still feel they need to simplify/modify alot of things if they expect to take some WOW players.

Minecraft and more!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe they should simplify the download process as I am going on 3 days now... Ugh.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So open beta started yesterday. Tried getting in but the servers were hammered and now they are no longer accepting applications to open beta Anyone have an extra key by chance? Anyone get in?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to ask: How are people handling the Fatigue system (EXP gains drop after 8 hours of playing a week)? I've heard it's been a near revolt because of it...but...I have only been asking 15-18 year old kids with nothing else to do.