Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2023, 10:14 PM   #5761
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually believe that.

It seemed clear Punk wanted to go back, probably as far back as when he was on that Fox TV show is my guess. I think he was doing that show to try to prove he could put the past behind him.

It was actually if Vince and HHH would take him back that was more in question. And it looked like they wouldn't, so he went to AEW and played the scorned ex card when he got there, but honeslty by the end it seems like he was trying to get fired so he could go back to WWE.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:41 PM   #5762
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think when he showed up backstage at RAW in April (I think) when WWE was in Chicago he was sending out feelers in case he left AEW.

He talked to The Miz and squashed whatever beef they might have had and then saw HHH and wanted to go somewhere to talk. HHH phoned Vince who wasn't there and he told him to ask him to leave which he did without issue.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:57 PM   #5763
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lash Legend gave Otis a bodyslam on NXT tonight. Pretty impressive feat, she really got him up there.

trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #5764
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

AEW returns to Calgary on July 10th, the Wednesday of the 2024 Stampede.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #5765
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good card for Wrestle Kingdom this year.

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/155710?showCards=1
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2023, 07:10 PM   #5766
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the Punk promo everyone has been asking for. I laughed at the "punching people backstage" line.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 07:38 PM   #5767
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pretty serious looking injury on NXT as ilja dragunov was dropped on his neck by Ridge Holloway and was taken off on a stretcher and neck brace.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:42 PM   #5768
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridge Holland is going to get a reputation for being unsafe, he's the one that broke Big E's neck too.

Hopefully Dragunov is ok
Old 12-13-2023, 08:44 PM   #5769
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

SRS says it's storyline.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:24 PM   #5770
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never like doing a neck injury as a storyline...seems like bad karma in an industry where you're always potentially an inch away from a devistating neck injury.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #5771
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is really cool. Kinda wish the American companies would get over their #### and do something like this together.

https://www.njpw1972.com/166568

Quote:
December 15, Tokyo Japan

New Japan Pro-Wrestling today announces that it is one of nine organizations that will constitute United Japan Pro-Wrestling, a new industry group representing professional wrestling in Japan.

Without an industry wide group for professional wrestling in Japan, the unprecedented crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic made it all the more clear that there was a need to consolidate and express accurate information and best operating practices between promotions, as well as to communicate effectively with national and municipal governments. In a bid to better anticipate and adapt to societal changes in the future, nine Japanese promotions at the forefront of pro-wrestling in the country will be be part of a collective industry group (henceforth ‘the Group’).

The members of the Group will maintain their individual business identities and competition in the marketplace, but the Group will provide a space to discuss issues that concern the industry at large, and to exchange information with an interest in maintaining its growth. The formation of the Group will be marked by an event on May 6 2024 in Nippon Budokan under the banner of United Japan Pro-Wrestling.

Mission statement

To further the presence of pro-wrestling and its cultural merit in Japanese society at large, allow professional wrestling to contribute further to cultural and sporting sectors, and work toward continued health and prosperity of the industry.

Group members

New Japan Pro-Wrestling (New Japan Pro-Wrestling Co. Ltd.)
All Japan Pro-Wrestling (All Japan Pro-Wrestling Co. Ltd.)
Pro-Wrestling NOAH (Cyber Fight Co. Ltd.)
DDT Pro-Wrestling (Cyber Fight Co. Ltd.)
Ganbare ☆ Pro-Wrestling (Cyber Fight Co. Ltd.)
Big Japan Pro-Wrestling (Yotsuba Industries Ltd.)
DRAGONGATE (DRAGONGATE Co. Ltd.)
STARDOM (BushiRoad Fight Co. Ltd.)
Tokyo Joshi Pro-Wrestling (Cyber Fight Co. Ltd.)

Further Group members will be considered in future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #5772
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will never happen in North America because it would really open the door to unionization.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:00 PM   #5773
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

It will never happen in North America because for-profit companies and the individuals who run them don't think about the collective good of their industry and the community in the way Japanese culture does.

It's called 'Wa' (和) and there's not really a North American equivalent.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #5774
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It will never happen in North America because for-profit companies and the individuals who run them don't think about the collective good of their industry and the community in the way Japanese culture does.

It's called 'Wa' (和) and there's not really a North American equivalent.

I think Paul Levesque the Wrestling Fan really wants to see it. I think Paul Levesque the executive knows he can't do it.

I think Tony Khan at the start of AEW really wants to see it. I think Tony Khan in the present has a line in the sand now where WWE is concerned.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #5775
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I think Paul Levesque the Wrestling Fan really wants to see it. I think Paul Levesque the executive knows he can't do it.

I think Tony Khan at the start of AEW really wants to see it. I think Tony Khan in the present has a line in the sand now where WWE is concerned.
Yup. And as long as WWE is a public company this will never happen.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #5776
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this really sucks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1735779104643858472
Old 12-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #5777
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

His hate for the WWE really has grown to the point where he's come off as unhinged at times.

I do think that at some point we could see Tony Khan try to start a wrestlers union just to stick it to TKO and the WWE.

Especially if they lose home grown talent like Jade and MJF to WWE...it would be the lever to try to keep them.

And really dealing with professional sports unions wouldn't be foreign to him...both the NFL and Premier League have players unions they have to deal with for the Jaguars and Fulham.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #5778
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
His hate for the WWE really has grown to the point where he's come off as unhinged at times.

TONY'S IN TO THE POWDER AGAIN, SOMEONE GET HIS PHONE QUI -- ####

Quote:
I do think that at some point we could see Tony Khan try to start a wrestlers union just to stick it to TKO and the WWE.

If, If he ever has to sell, or sees the end of the road for AEW I agree 100%. Hell, even if he can't sell I can see him cutting his nose to spite his face.

Quote:
Especially if they lose home grown talent like Jade and MJF to WWE...it would be the lever to try to keep them.

It hasn't been talked about here, but Cody coming out and saying he can see MJF in WWE eventually was probably one of those "Get Tony's phone" moments I just talked about. The balls on Cody to say that one.

Quote:
And really dealing with professional sports unions wouldn't be foreign to him...both the NFL and Premier League have players unions they have to deal with for the Jaguars and Fulham.

In the end, with the carny nature of wrestling it's the only way a Union would ever work. A major promoter stepping in and doing it himself.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-15-2023, 04:17 PM   #5779
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TONY'S IN TO THE POWDER AGAIN, SOMEONE GET HIS PHONE QUI -- ####

If, If he ever has to sell, or sees the end of the road for AEW I agree 100%. Hell, even if he can't sell I can see him cutting his nose to spite his face.

It hasn't been talked about here, but Cody coming out and saying he can see MJF in WWE eventually was probably one of those "Get Tony's phone" moments I just talked about. The balls on Cody to say that one.

In the end, with the carny nature of wrestling it's the only way a Union would ever work. A major promoter stepping in and doing it himself.
I think it will happen.

Honestly we hear a lot about AEW treats wrestlers so well, and AEW pays for travel and meals, etc etc.

So if you're going to do all that anyways then why not create a union to really spite your main competitor.

It won't happen right now, but if those perks don't keep wrestlers in AEW then I think he will do it just to spite WWE.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #5780
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
It won't happen right now, but if those perks don't keep wrestlers in AEW then I think he will do it just to spite WWE.

Wrestler's eschewed a paycheque and comfy travel in WWE to work high school gyms because they wanted more than what the money and comfort was providing.

Wrestlers are weird. Some of them will look across the fence and see a better opportunity and leave a life of luxury in a heart beat.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver