Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #61
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 07-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #62
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #63
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I misunderstood the question. When you say "it is impossible to add another quarter to the table without requiring an overlap" do you mean coins can be slid on the table and shifted around, as long as they never overlap? Or are they all locked into a fixed position?
Old 07-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #64
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by indes; 07-19-2022 at 09:21 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:09 AM   #65
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought someone said these would be fun math problems !!

You guys have a weird definition of fun!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:29 AM   #66
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood the question. When you say "it is impossible to add another quarter to the table without requiring an overlap" do you mean coins can be slid on the table and shifted around, as long as they never overlap? Or are they all locked into a fixed position?
This is a good question, imo.

I misread it initially, and my solution assumed the coins were touching each other, which wasn't stated in the problem.

In many ways this reminds me of a reservoir engineering problem. The spaces in between the coins would be porosity (just 2d instead of 3d). Having the coins not touching would make it a non-physical solution, but you'd have perfectly sorted matrix with exactly equal grain sizes.

I think the answer probably flows from your observation about the distance between the coins. I don't see the solution but have the following observations.

The number of coins given is 400, or 4:1 for the number of initial coins. That ratio isn't physical, but 4 is 2 squared, and we know the distance between the centers of the coins can't be bigger than 2D, because then you could fit another coin.

I think the proof will involve squaring that distance and demonstrating that 4x is enough coins to cover it somehow.

I didn't spoiler this because its just middle of the night musings, and could be completely unhelpful to anyone...

Last edited by bizaro86; 07-20-2022 at 12:44 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #67
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #68
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No, any given arrangement is fixed. But the proof must hold for all possible arrangements.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #69
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
This is a good question, imo.

I misread it initially, and my solution assumed the coins were touching each other, which wasn't stated in the problem.

In many ways this reminds me of a reservoir engineering problem. The spaces in between the coins would be porosity (just 2d instead of 3d). Having the coins not touching would make it a non-physical solution, but you'd have perfectly sorted matrix with exactly equal grain sizes.

I think the answer probably flows from your observation about the distance between the coins. I don't see the solution but have the following observations.

The number of coins given is 400, or 4:1 for the number of initial coins. That ratio isn't physical, but 4 is 2 squared, and we know the distance between the centers of the coins can't be bigger than 2D, because then you could fit another coin.

I think the proof will involve squaring that distance and demonstrating that 4x is enough coins to cover it somehow.

I didn't spoiler this because its just middle of the night musings, and could be completely unhelpful to anyone...
This is the type of discussion I wanted this thread to encourage. I hope others add their thoughts too!
Old 07-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #70
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seems things have died down on this problem. Here's the solution.

Spoiler!
Old 07-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #71
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think that is different than MG saying the Max distance between any two adjacent coins is 1/root2
Old 07-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #72
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think that is different than MG saying the Max distance between any two adjacent coins is 1/root2
I think there is a difference.

Spoiler!
Old 07-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #73
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post

Spoiler!
I think that’s it’s clear that if there is not a 1/root2 space between adjacent horizontal coins and a diameter diagonal space between diagonal coins.

The expansion to radius 2 of a coin effectively adds a diagonal space of a diameter which is what the root2 spacing is stating.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #74
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that your approach is much more precise, direct, and succinct than mine. However, I think there may be a problem with both your solution and mine (and really, the entire premise of the question). The problem is the corners. The center of the closest coin to the corner could be more than 2r away from the corner, yet no new coin could fit in the corner space there becuase it couldn't fit within the edges of the table. Hence, the contradiction you pointed out is not entirely true.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #75
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that your approach is much more precise, direct, and succinct than mine. However, I think there may be a problem with both your solution and mine (and really, the entire premise of the question). The problem is the corners. The center of the closest coin to the corner could be more than 2r away from the corner, yet no new coin could fit in the corner space there becuase it couldn't fit within the edges of the table. Hence, the contradiction you pointed out is not entirely true.
I think the edge case is taken care of by the fact that a coin doesn't have to be fully on a table. As long as the centre of a coin is on the table (even if it overhangs the edge) it is considered on the table.

The question could be more precisely stated that 100 coin centres are on the table.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #76
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the edge case is taken care of by the fact that a coin doesn't have to be fully on a table. As long as the centre of a coin is on the table (even if it overhangs the edge) it is considered on the table.

The question could be more precisely stated that 100 coin centres are on the table.
That still doesn't address what I'm getting at. Say you have a coin whose center is more than 2r away from the corner (no other coin is closer to the corner). That means, according to your solution, that another coin can be added to the table, since its center won't fall in the 2r zone. However, this contradicts what the problem says: "it is impossible to add another quarter to the table without requiring an overlap".

So the wording of the problem is causing the confusion here. When it says "impossible to add", does it mean you can't add another coin such that it rests entirely on the table, or does it mean you can't add a coin such that any part of the coin is on the table at all?

Last edited by Mathgod; 07-22-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #77
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The implication is you can't add a coin to the table without overlapping another coin, and so that the coin can stably remain on the table (ie the center of the coin is on the table). The coin can overhang the table.

Sent from my NE2213 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #78
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahhh I get it now. In that case either your solution or mine works fine.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #79
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, new puzzle.

Can you construct a convex polygon so that all the interior angles are equal, but the sides are of length 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (in some order)?

Convex polygon just means a polygon whose internal angles are < 180.

So a regular hexagon is convex, but something like:

/\/\
\ /
\ /

(supposed to be a 6-sided heart shape)

is not because the V at the top has an internal angle > 180.

Last edited by psyang; 07-24-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: heart ascii diagram didn't come out right.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:33 PM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Spoiler!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote