Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #481
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna be hilarious when Masai trades Trent back to the Blazers for Dame to complete the circle.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #482
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair to say they just wrapped the best week of the season, one of the best weeks in franchise history really. Even without a true superstar this is a championship caliber starting five.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #483
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Fair to say they just wrapped the best week of the season, one of the best weeks in franchise history really. Even without a true superstar this is a championship caliber starting five.

Hate to be that guy, but I will. This isn't a championship starting five. Not even close. They're far exceeding expectations and playing very well as a group, but the starting five as a group have natural deficiencies relating to size and talent that won't be fixed by virtue of who they are. I'm all for giving them a shoutout, but champion calibre it's not.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #484
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
What would a guy like Marvin Bagley cost? Young, talented and wants out of Sac Town? He'd be quite the piece to add.
I get the impression he'd be really cheap, like probably only a 2nd and matching salary. But he's a free agent this year, with a higher qualifying offer than his likely salary, which is tough: you extend the qualifying offer, and it's overpaying him. You don't extend the qualifying offer, and you lose restricted free agent status and might lose him for nothing.

I admittedly haven't watched a lot of Sacramento this year, but my worries from what I've heard Sacramento fans saying are that he tends not to play within the flow of the offense, and has a poor defensive IQ... But for a guy still on his first team, there's always a chance that those sorts of issues have more to do with the team mismanaging his development than a lack of potential.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #485
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I get the impression he'd be really cheap, like probably only a 2nd and matching salary. But he's a free agent this year, with a higher qualifying offer than his likely salary, which is tough: you extend the qualifying offer, and it's overpaying him. You don't extend the qualifying offer, and you lose restricted free agent status and might lose him for nothing.

I admittedly haven't watched a lot of Sacramento this year, but my worries from what I've heard Sacramento fans saying are that he tends not to play within the flow of the offense, and has a poor defensive IQ... But for a guy still on his first team, there's always a chance that those sorts of issues have more to do with the team mismanaging his development than a lack of potential.
Thanks for the notes on his free agency status. If his cost is that low then you bring him in and see how he gels with the group and if he doesn't you just walk away in the summer.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #486
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess let the Dame sweepstakes begin

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491069131541688321
Old 02-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #487
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Woj, Portland’s plan is to retool their roster around Dame (not rebuild) by using their picks, cap space, and other acquired assets to bring in talent now.

We’ll see what happens
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #488
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Portland missed the boat with McCollum, should have traded him way sooner when his stock was higher. Highly doubt they'll be able to retool around Dame and build a contender with him ... fully expect him to force his way out this summer.

In terms of asset management, it just looks worse and worse with every deal they make. They basically turned McCollum, Trent, Nance and two 1sts into Hart, Alexander-Walker, Johnson and a 1st. That's got to be infuriating as a Blazers fan, and fearful of what package they might actually accept once they do decide to trade Dame.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #489
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings trading Haliburton is insane too. But hey, hard to pass on two Jeremy Lambs.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491116804848033793
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #490
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say "What are the Kings doing", but this is the franchise that passed on Luka and Young for Bagley, so with that in mind this is quite on brand.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #491
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

13th in the West.

Makes a win now trade.

lol
Old 02-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #492
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like New Orleans' move. The fact they were able to land a player like McCollum without dipping too deeply into their impressive collection of draft assets is great for them. If Zion comes back, this will be easily the most talented team he's played for, and they still have the assets to make opportunistic improvements.

Portland... I don't know. I get they're probably doing a fire-sale and might be giving Lillard signs that they want him to move so they can start a proper rebuild. Still, I've got to think they could get a better return, both for CJ and Powell.

Sacramento... probably a bad move. I guess they're going to try to make a push for the playin this year, but with the Pelicans improving that looks like a longshot. Haliburton was a young potential star who was saying all the right things about finding a way to make the team a winner. And now their roster is this weird mix of all guards and centers.

Indiana... Good that they finally moved on from their center logjam, and got good value in the process. I feel like they need to make more moves for a proper rebuild, like moving Brogdon, but good for them finally picking a direction.

Last edited by octothorp; 02-08-2022 at 03:07 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #493
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Underwhelming performance tonight defensively but absolute domination all night on O. Gary Trent Jr has really taken a step this year and Pascal is on another planet lately.

Interested to see if/what they do tomorrow. If they are serious about making a run in the east I think we need to pickup 2 bigs. Just don't see how Precious plays are sort of serious role when the games get serious in the playoffs.

ACC is going to be rocking when they get people back in the stands. This team deserves that lift.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:50 AM   #494
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

as someone who dislikes both the concept of friendship teams and the Lakers in general, I take an unhealthy amount of pleasure in watching the Lakers fail. They blame Westbrook for their demise, yet lose without him to a D-League team from Portland. A gift that keeps on giving.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #495
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, and Toronto Raptors discussed a three-team trade at length Wednesday night into Thursday morning. The framework would send Cam Reddish and Alec Burks to the Lakers, Goran Dragic and draft pick compensation to the Knicks, and Talen Horton-Tucker and Nerlens Noel to the Raptors, league sources told HoopsHype.

https://hoopshype.com/2022/02/10/nba...-goran-dragic/
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #496
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
The Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, and Toronto Raptors discussed a three-team trade at length Wednesday night into Thursday morning. The framework would send Cam Reddish and Alec Burks to the Lakers, Goran Dragic and draft pick compensation to the Knicks, and Talen Horton-Tucker and Nerlens Noel to the Raptors, league sources told HoopsHype.

https://hoopshype.com/2022/02/10/nba...-goran-dragic/
This would be hilarious from a Lakers perspective if this went down. Refusing to include Horton-Tucker in a trade for Lowry last season only to give him up to acquire Reddish & Burks would be great.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #497
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raptors and Mavericks may have engaged in some discussions about a deal involving Kristaps Porzingis, according to Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report (Twitter link).
Fischer’s report includes some hedging — he doesn’t outright confirm that Toronto and Dallas are negotiating a deal, but says the rumor that the two teams are discussing a framework has made the rounds among NBA front offices. Fischer adds that it’s not clear how serious those talks might be.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/toronto-raptors
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #498
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Porzingis would be interesting so long as it isn't a huge cost.

Edit: Nevermind

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491816212837380100
Old 02-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #499
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1491817913803841541

Sounds like more will be coming back in the Dragic trade
https://twitter.com/user/status/1491817442246643716
Old 02-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #500
Senator Clay Davis