Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #381
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Nope. We'd have been subjected to your usual drivel the first time he had a couple of bad games. Like how Fred is probably the worst contract in history or how Rashford is the next Welbeck.

Wtf? The fee wasn't astronomical? They were just looking for the third most expensive free in history after Neymar and Mbappe. Nope.....not astronomical at all.

You keep going on about how Woodward miscalculated.
Explain then why he walked away and didn't return with a late offer of asking price?

Sure he was their #1 target. They didn't get him because they chose not to pay the asking price.
For whatever reason there wasn't a rush of clubs ask lining up to hijack the deal at that price. Why is that?
Fred has been a disappointment for how much he cost, surely you won't dispute that. He had a nice run of games last year, but that Matic has supplanted him says it all. Rashford is better than Welbeck ever was, so yeah cool? Of course the fee for Sancho is high, but he's young, already producing at a world class level, and of course he's English. He isn't cheap, but he shouldn't be either. I don't think the price Dortmund were asking was something absurd, and based off the reports it's not like United weren't offering at least €100 million, they clearly think his valuation is pretty close, they just didn't go all the way. I guess the better question for you is what do you think he's worth?

As for why there wasn't a rush of clubs after him, the financial situation at many clubs is in flux right now, other clubs that may have been interested spent money elsewhere, and many of the top clubs were set at the position. A year from now, who knows? But that's it, you could have had him now if you paid. This time next year? Sure you might get him, and for cheaper, but you also might get him and pay more, or you might not get him at all. Right now I think the price is high, but so is the talent level of the player.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #382
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Are you saying he shouldn't be on TV because of what he said about Zaha or in general?

The former I won't disagree with you but if you're saying in general because of his level of punditry then bs. Or do you prefer a more sterile bland emotionless type of pundit?
Its a fine line admittedly but I find him to be a combination of hot headed and unintelligent that is just awful... the zaha comment was bad, he should have apologized and he refused to do it, leaving the female anchor to step up for him, and for me he'd be a better fit on mutv.

I like passion in the commentary but for me insightful and thought provoking is different from a populist just saying dumb stuff under the banner of "calling it like they see it". I do like Roy Keane a lot for his passion and fire... maybe I am being harsh on him for the language barrier? Great manager but I dont think klopp would have been so brave to roy in person tbh and his commentary for me me was spot on despite Jurgen's indignation the other week.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #383
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sancho transfer saga is equivalent to the Oilers standing pat over the difference in their locker-room renovation budget.

What was it? United offered 92M Euro? Dortmund wanted 100m?

It doesnt even matter. Sancho was just something to paper over the cracks.

It would have been a media coup to get him but he doesnt solve the squad problems.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #384
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Sancho transfer saga is equivalent to the Oilers standing pat over the difference in their locker-room renovation budget.

What was it? United offered 92M Euro? Dortmund wanted 100m?

It doesnt even matter. Sancho was just something to paper over the cracks.

It would have been a media coup to get him but he doesnt solve the squad problems.
Yeah. They were only 20M apart. Small change.

And yeah, adding a player like that that would immediately strengthen the squad quotient help solve the squad problems.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #385
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozil saving gunnersauras might make the fans love him
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #386
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ozil saving gunnersauras might make the fans love him
Short of curb-stomping Kroenke it might be his only chance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #387
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess we’ll see how it shakes down, but he’s not going to have the time and space in the PL. Regardless though, they’ve effectively swapped Gunnersaurus for Partey, and I’m not sure that’s a great deadline day!
Ozil might be stepping to the plate to save Gunnersaurus, so that saga might not yet be over.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #388
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozil could just be Gunnersaurus at this point, at least he'd have something to do.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #389
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ozil could just be Gunnersaurus at this point, at least he'd have something to do.
The world's most expensive Mascot.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #390
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Fred has been a disappointment for how much he cost, surely you won't dispute that. He had a nice run of games last year, but that Matic has supplanted him says it all. Rashford is better than Welbeck ever was, so yeah cool? Of course the fee for Sancho is high, but he's young, already producing at a world class level, and of course he's English. He isn't cheap, but he shouldn't be either. I don't think the price Dortmund were asking was something absurd, and based off the reports it's not like United weren't offering at least €100 million, they clearly think his valuation is pretty close, they just didn't go all the way. I guess the better question for you is what do you think he's worth?

As for why there wasn't a rush of clubs after him, the financial situation at many clubs is in flux right now, other clubs that may have been interested spent money elsewhere, and many of the top clubs were set at the position. A year from now, who knows? But that's it, you could have had him now if you paid. This time next year? Sure you might get him, and for cheaper, but you also might get him and pay more, or you might not get him at all. Right now I think the price is high, but so is the talent level of the player.

Fred up to the lockdown last year was United's best player and probably would have been player of the year if the season ended there. Him and McT carried that midfield. He's a workhorse. Never quits and regardless what happens to him I'll always remember him for the PSG game when Rashford was lining up his penalty. For whatever reason, on the restart Oli went with Matic.
Then in the last game of the season he was probably their best player against Sevilla.

I'm in the minority but I feel Fred is one of the better midfielders at United at the moment. I'd start him over Matic any day. The problem is neither of them in that position. The one that needs to be dropped is Pogba. That's Oli's weakness right there. He's going to run with the lazy clown that's going to end up getting him fired.
As for Rashford > Welbeck. Yes Big deal. Shows the stupidity and troll level of some of your statements and why you can't be taken seriously.

Sancho. Absolute BS that the only reason other teams didn't go in for him was they couldn't afford him. City and Chelsea or PSG could easily have swooped in. After all according to you he's a top end talent producing at a world class lever. Fact of the matter is they chose not to. The price was set out and no-one chose to go anywhere close to it. United were a good € 20M away. What do I think he's worth. € 80-90 tops. But then again if they'd paid that we'd be listening again to your drivel about how they paid a price that no one else was prepared to pay.

Why don't you enlighten us as to why he's worth the third most expensive price in history? Besides the fact that he's ... English? He's a very good player that would improve any team, no doubt. But what is it about him that makes you feel he is a superstar?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #391
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you underestimate the effect that bringing in top talent can have on the other players. Even Luke Shaw himself publicly said a couple of weeks ago that the club desperately need to strengthen ... and that's coming from a guy that knew that his starting spot would be in danger if they did. Bringing in a top player can lift your whole squad, even if you still have other holes in the team.

Either way, I kind of find it funny that people bash United for not spending €120m on a player while no other team spent more than €80m on a player during this window. I'm sure they'd mock them as well if they had done it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #392
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I like passion in the commentary but for me insightful and thought provoking is different from a populist just saying dumb stuff under the banner of "calling it like they see it". I do like Roy Keane a lot for his passion and fire... maybe I am being harsh on him for the language barrier? Great manager but I dont think klopp would have been so brave to roy in person tbh and his commentary for me me was spot on despite Jurgen's indignation the other week.
Here's Keane and Neville commenting on Pogba from a while back with a stoned Joe Hart looking on...
A year and a half later, what's changed?

He was the problem then, for me he's still the problem.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #393
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fred up to the lockdown last year was United's best player and probably would have been player of the year if the season ended there. Him and McT carried that midfield. He's a workhorse. Never quits and regardless what happens to him I'll always remember him for the PSG game when Rashford was lining up his penalty. For whatever reason, on the restart Oli went with Matic.
Pogba is the reason, he got healthy and of course Ole would put him straight in. And there's that belief that Pogba works best with Matic ... not sure I agree, but personally I wouldn't play Pogba anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #394
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the talent in the world, & he doesn't have the head for it.
I'll keep beating the horse, that is sell Pogba. Ed should be calling ZZ.

Oh and Cavani was given the esteemed #7. For fffffff sakes.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #395
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Oh and Cavani was given the esteemed #7. For fffffff sakes.
In fairness to Cavani it's more than lost its esteem in the last few years with the likes of Liverpool's ambassador wearing it so he could get a PL medal, Di Maria and Depay having wore it.

And that's before considering that he's taking it over from Sanchez.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #396
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness to Cavani it's more than lost its esteem in the last few years with the likes of Liverpool's ambassador wearing it so he could get a PL medal, Di Maria and Depay having wore it.

And that's before considering that he's taking it over from Sanchez.
well, im triggered.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #397
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

and like clockwork, Pogba goes on international duty and openly talks about how playing for Real Madrid would be a dream.

Just sell him already.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #398
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and like clockwork, Pogba goes on international duty and openly talks about how playing for Real Madrid would be a dream.

Just sell him already.
Who is going to buy him though? Maybe Real Madrid but I doubt you'll like the price.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #399
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who is going to buy him though? Maybe Real Madrid but I doubt you'll like the price.
either them or Juventus I think. There's been talk that Juve wanted to sign him before Covid struck, so who knows.

not too fussed about the price. I think it's actually a more balanced team without Pogba.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #400
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give him the Ozil treatment and let him rot.