Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #41
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Wish he had a little extra something. Speed, strength, skill, size, hands, IQ. If he was just a little better at one thing he would be really valuable player.
True, but a more valuably Mikael Backlund would be a more expensive player, and I don't think the teams who have that are better off.

If he had more speed, he'd be Matt Duchene, and wouldn't be paid 3.7M (6M)

If he had more skill, he'd be Mikko Koivu, and wouldn't be paid 3.7M.(6.75M)

if he had more size, he'd be Jordan Staal, and wouldn't be paid 3.7M. (6.0M)

if he had better hands, he'd be Ryan Kesler, and wouldn't be paid 3.7M (6.875M)

And I don't think there's anything about his IQ that's lacking. He's probably the smartest player on this team not named Gaudreau or Brodie.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #42
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

plus, he's got a deceptively hard shot.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #43
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think there's a tier of 2nd line centre types who aren't quite that good but still better than Backlund. Soderberg, Zajac, prime Legwand etc. And hell I'd take the skillset of one of those guys for an extra 3 mil any day.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's not really in the same ballpark as Duchene. I get that some people really like Backlund and think he's amazing and all but this team is 26th and he's not a core player.

Does everyone want to keep the exact same team together just because of chemistry or something?? If the team wants to improve through trade, someone of value has to be given up.

The do not trade list includes: Brodie, Gio, Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Ferland, Bouma, picks/prospects and now Backlund. So for this team to improve, they can trade our crappy players that we want to get rid of and we want players to improve the club.

Backlund is good, he's not great and he sure as heck shouldn't be considered part of the "core" or part of the future.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #45
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Thanks for all the discussion.

Looks like Mr. Backlund is a polarizing player among Flames fans.

I don't agree with the couple of comments about Backlund being soft, that he doesn't forecheck well, or that he has trouble battling for pucks down low in his zone. But anything I post here obviously isn't going to change any minds.

I'd suggest watching him closely next game, see what he does with his shifts. Watch how much the guy skates out there. Seriously he is everywhere. Watch how he supports his D down low. Watch how he leans on people and gets his stick in on the opposition. Watch his back check and how he is always positioned well when he doesn't have the puck.

Anyways I believe Backlund is playing some great hockey right now, hope he keeps up this level of play.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #46
buyakasha
Backup Goalie

Exp:

IMO he's too soft on his stick, especially in the offensive zone. Other than that, no real complaints about Mr. Backlund. He is what he is (3rd line centre) with flashes of power moves and slick hands. Hopefully he can find a way to make those flashes consistent, then he'd be golden!
buyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #47
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO It's one of those situations where it's sometimes hard for first rounders to re-define their role in the same organizations.

Fans want him to be the guy that showed 1st line promise when he was centering Iginla & Tanguay at the end of the season a few years back.

In reality he is a 2nd / 3rd line tweener that plays a solid overall game but is not really exceptional in any real area of the game. A guy that is nice to have, but also isn't untouchable if you think your team can get a better asset in return.

My only major critique of Backlund is his inconsistency (especially because when he's off he can be poor for decent stretches), if he played close to his top game night in night out he would be a much better player, he also would probably make much more than $3.7 million.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #48
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

His potential has pretty much settled into a 3rd line two way role. He does his job well enough which isn't enough for some people which want more given the lack of consistent secondary scoring after Gaudreau/Monahan.

Only concern I have as a fan of him is when he gets moved away from the 2nd line minutes and strictly into a 3rd line spot, if he can continue to out up a similar 0.45ppg
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't care less where he was drafted. At 26, he is what he is. I will judge him - and any player - on his play.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #50
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't care less where he was drafted. At 26, he is what he is. I will judge him - and any player - on his play.
Yes, and both Johnny Gaudreau and TJ Brodie say thank you very much for doing so.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hartley was praising his play on the Fan960 today. Talked about the play of Bennett and Backlund allowing them to balance the lines more.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #52
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, props to Backlund from Hrudey and what's his name on his work on the 3rd goal. But now they've been cut off. Maybe they shouldn't have mentioned anything.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mikael Backlnd's chemistry with our defensemen can't be understated. Being a good center isn't just about having chemistry with your wingers, it's about knowing when to pull back and support the puck, when your dmen are open, when to cover for a pinching Gio.

And with that, Backs has 4 goals, 17 assists +12 in 33 games since November. He keeps producing at this pace and he'll probably have a career year of around 46 points while shooting some of the worst percentages of his career on the team with the worst power play of his career.

He's not Bergeron, but his value to this team goes way beyond what the points tell you. He's not going to be replaced easily.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-21-2016 at 09:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #54
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Backlund centering Frolik and Bennet is turning out to be a great line combination.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #55
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund certainly can't fill in for Backlund yet.. Mr. Disappearing act after 5 call up games.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #56
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Granlund certainly can't fill in for Backlund yet.. Mr. Disappearing act after 5 call up games.
Backlund is stepping his game up big time. And Granlund is fading down the stretch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Backlund centering Frolik and Bennet is turning out to be a great line combination.
Not really a fan of Frolik on that line. Would rather see Hudler or Granlund on the RW there. Both Backlund and Frolik have the same kind of non-threatening shot.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #58
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Not really a fan of Frolik on that line. Would rather see Hudler or Granlund on the RW there. Both Backlund and Frolik have the same kind of non-threatening shot.
That's what Bennett is there for.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Frolik is great on that line what are you talking about?

Hudler is complete garbage ATM and Granlund shows very little offence. Frolik is playing 2-3 times better than either of those guys.

That's a real head scratcher of a suggestion. Are you actually watching the games or just doing some advanced stats work there to come up with that doozy? Break up our best line. Genius move for sure.

Based on merit Frolik is a top two line player and neither Granlund nor Hudler really deserve top two line ice time at the moment.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #60
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Are you serious???

Hudler has been dog crap since the beginning of this season and Granlund has been our 4th worst forward behind Bollig, Raymond & Colborne, since the first 4 or 5 games of his latest call up.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlund , mikael