Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sonic Highways on HBO (Foo Fighters project)

Anyone else watching this? Basically Dave Grohl wanted to do something different with their next record so he came up with the idea to travel to different cities and record a song in each at an iconic studo based on the music and history of each city. At the end of each episode they debut the song they recorded. Fascinating stuff if you are into rock history. I have caught the first two so far and really enjoyed them.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you are enjoying this check out Grohl's sound city documentary, Foo fighters: back and forth, and Pearl Jam 20.

I love rock history so I am loving this series. I am finding the new Foo songs a bit screechy but otherwise good. Off to watch episode 3 right now.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Pretty sure there is an Edmonton song. Think I heard about it on twitter.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
mizzle
Draft Pick

I believe there will be 8 songs on the album. From the IMDB it is looks like Chicago, Washington, Nashville, New Orleans, Ney York, Seattle, Los Angeles and Austin are the cities.

Great series so far.
mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking very forward to the Seattle episode. Hoping to see some good Sunny Day Real Estate footage with a young Nate Mendel on bass....and of course, can't wait to hear the bands that Nate looked up to around Seattle as he was growing up.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw the Nashville one...it was very well done. Really enjoyed it.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been a huge fan of Steve Albini for years, that first episode shows why. What a badass mf'er, you would be hard pressed to find anyone else in the industry with as much integrity as that man.

Loved learning more about the history behind Minor Threat, Fugazi and Bad Brains. Those bands never got the recognition they deserve. Florida Georgia Line was hilarious and embarrassing, new country fans should be ashamed.

Fans of Rap, EDM, whatever, need to watch this show. Take a glimpse of how true musicians write and record. Fingers on strings, sticks hitting drums and moving the air in a room, filthy venues and studios full of feel and vibe and people with something to say. I don't even like the Foo Fighters but damn does Dave Grohl put out some great projects.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I've been a huge fan of Steve Albini for years, that first episode shows why. What a badass mf'er, you would be hard pressed to find anyone else in the industry with as much integrity as that man.

Loved learning more about the history behind Minor Threat, Fugazi and Bad Brains. Those bands never got the recognition they deserve. Florida Georgia Line was hilarious and embarrassing, new country fans should be ashamed.

Fans of Rap, EDM, whatever, need to watch this show. Take a glimpse of how true musicians write and record. Fingers on strings, sticks hitting drums and moving the air in a room, filthy venues and studios full of feel and vibe and people with something to say. I don't even like the Foo Fighters but damn does Dave Grohl put out some great projects.
I love Albini too. It was nice to see him get some recognition.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been following this show and love the concept. I've always been a Foo Fighters fan.

I really enjoyed the first Chicago episode, but I didn't much care for the DC episode. Can't say I ever really cared about the punk movement.

On another note - hopefully the Foo Fighters will roll through Calgary sometime next year. They put on one hell of a show.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have seen most of them now...very well done.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I happened to catch some of the LA one and it was pretty interesting. Can't say Im a fan of the Foo Fighters but I thought it was a cool idea.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Caught the New York one last night and became hooked. I finally found a use for Shaw on demand. Will continue my marathon of learning tonight!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen LA and Neww Orleans and have now started recording them.
Really cool stuff.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fantastic! The Seattle episode was great, it was extra special as it covered the evolution of the Foo Fighters (80s/90s grunge -> Nirvana -> Foo Fighters).
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that he is probably the biggest name in rock music over the past decade, he seems pretty down to Earth. I heard a clip of him on the radio and he said that all he does all day is drive kids around in a minivan and then goes and practices with the Foo Fighters. I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Considering that he is probably the biggest name in rock music over the past decade, he seems pretty down to Earth. I heard a clip of him on the radio and he said that all he does all day is drive kids around in a minivan and then goes and practices with the Foo Fighters. I thought it was pretty funny.
I was thinking the same thing, he looked really happy and even chatty with everyone around him. He was on Howard Stern last week and he came off very friendly and easy-going, it didn't seem forced at all - I loved it!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm interested in checking this out, but my cynical mind wonders if it is mostly a vehicle to promote a new record. I suppose it could be both - interesting and marketing an album.

http://www.stereogum.com/1716701/pre...re-evaluation/

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...onic-highways/

Last edited by troutman; 12-09-2014 at 09:49 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm interested in checking this out, but my cynical mind wonders if it is mostly a vehicle to promote a new record. I suppose it could be both - interesting and marketing an album.

http://www.stereogum.com/1716701/pre...re-evaluation/

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...onic-highways/

Oh, I don't think there's any doubt that documenting and broadcasting these was as much a promotional tool as it was a fun project for Dave. I have to give him credit though, they don't hold anything on the record back. They play the new song at the end of each episode.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Loved the NYC episode, almost as much as Chicago. To be in the position that you can make a project like this happen is just incredible, Grohl is a mf'er.

I was a pretty big Foo Fighters fan for the first 2 albums, bought the CDs, played a few songs in a cover band, etc. Completely lost interest when the "Learn to Fly" single was released, hook isn't horrible but it had no balls. Still love the guy though, wish there were more musicians like him. You know, people who love writing, recording a playing more than dressing up in ridiculous clothes and using the term "rock star". Posers, too many posers in the business.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
Completely lost interest when the "Learn to Fly" single was released, hook isn't horrible but it had no balls. Still love the guy though, wish there were more musicians like him.
Grohl mentioned this was his least favorite song, but admitted the single exposed them to a new level of success at that time.