Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Some people ask me, do I need to remove the membrane?

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #22
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

-remove the membrane
-prepare a dry rub for the ribs, i generally use brown sugar, garlic powder, cumin, seasoning salt, pepper, cayenne...make your own up as you go
-let them sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight with the rub on
-set them down in a caserole dish, bones up, don't stack them and pour in a can or two of root beer or dr pepper around them so that they're 50-75% submerged, cover the dish with tinfoil
-cook for 3-4 hours at 300 degrees in the oven
-finish up on the grill for a few minutes each side, to crisp up a little and caramelize the outside. They don't need BBQ sauce, but if you want you can add it at this stage as well
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks all.

This is one of the rare saturdays without any hockey games so I am gonna get two racks out and take a run at them.

Cheers

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Remember, low and slow. For baby back ribs cook them @ 225 degrees F for 6 hours.
If you cook baby backs for that long they will be overdone. At 225 degrees F, it should only take approximately 3 hours for baby backs or 5 hours for St. Louis ribs.

The one thing that makes cooking ribs or any BBQ easier is a good digital thermometer. Temperature control is crucial if you want things to turn out properly.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #25
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, when they are done, don't pull them off the heat and cut into them immediately. Yes, I know they are going to look and smell incredible, but let them sit and rest for 5-10 mins at room temperature before you dig in.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
If you cook baby backs for that long they will be overdone. At 225 degrees F, it should only take approximately 3 hours for baby backs or 5 hours for St. Louis ribs.

The one thing that makes cooking ribs or any BBQ easier is a good digital thermometer. Temperature control is crucial if you want things to turn out properly.
Agreed. I have a Maverick Redi Chek with two temperature probes, one that clips on to the grate so you get the temperature at about 1 cm above the grill surface. A second to test meat temp. It has a remote transmitter and receiver as well. Something like 80 bucks at Barbecues Galore.

For ribs I emulate a smoker on the gas grill - I have 4 burners, put the smoke box filled with wood chips on the far right, beneath the grate right on the burner, maybe use the second from right burner if necessary to help maintain 225 F and put the ribs on the far left, in a rib rack, so the ribs slow cook getting smoke and indirect heat. - Really important to have the digital thermometer to do this as the temp indicator on the outside of the barbecue lid does not reflect anything near the temp where the ribs actually are.

Also you have to switch to use new wood chips every half hour to an hour as they burn out (best to soak them for a half hour first)

And I really like Char Crust hickory rub and have gotten compliments using it.

When the ribs are done, pick them up halfway with long BBQ tongs, and they will bend backwards and start to break away from the bones.

* Funny timing - Master Meats I just came from, they are open tomorrow til 5 and baby backs are on sale.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 11-14-2014 at 05:55 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #27
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

ucb - i just saw this thread now.... how did the ribs turn out??? awesome i hope!!!

here's what i do...

day before - remove membrane and season with dry rub (recipe below)

i do mine in a smoker. if you don't have one you should go buy one - they are awesome!! i wish i hadn't waited so long to get one!

i use the 3-2-1 method.

throw the ribs into the smoker at 225F-ish for 3 hours
then put them on tin foil and add a bunch of fruit juice (i like apple juice). seal up the tin foil and put them back in the smoker for 2 more hours
then remove them from the foil and cover them in bbq sauce (recipe below) and put them back in the smoker for a final hour

then... enjoy putting yourself into a pork coma!

for smoke i've tried a few different things. most recently i used about 1/3 cherry wood and 2/3 apple wood, with just a little hickory thrown in for good measure. the ribs were off the freakin' chart good.

if you're ever passing thru kelowna let me know and i'll fire up the smoker!

Basic BBQ Rub

Serves: 3 cups

Ingredients
• ¾ cup paprika
• ½ cup sugar
• ½ cup salt
• ¼ cup ground black pepper
• 3 tbsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp thyme
• 2 tbsp dry mustard
• 2 tbsp cumin
• 1 tbsp sage

Instructions
1. Mix all the ingredients together well and keep in an air tight container in the same place that you keep your spices.
2. To use: rub into the meat and let sit for at least 1 or 2 hours before grilling/smoking

Basic BBQ Sauce

Serves: 6 ½ cups

Ingredients
• 5 cups ketchup
• 1 cup light brown sugar
• 2/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp molasses
• 1 tbsp chilli powder
• 1 tbsp dry mustard
• 1 tbsp hot sauce
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce