Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Another Desktop Build Thread

I didn't want to add on to another thread since I have a bit different requirements. I'm pretty new to this stuff so please bear with me.

I'm looking to build a daily use desktop mainly for browsing, newsgroups/usenet, streaming HD video, ability to hook up to my tv via hdmi, and casual gaming. For gaming, I just want something that will allow me to play newer games at medium settings. I would also like to not require any upgrades for about two years.

Please take a look at my configurator from ME and let me know where I can cut and what I need to upgrade. And let me know if I need anything else, like heatsinks, coolers, network cards, sound cards, adapter cards etc. If possible, I'd like to get this to around $800 - $1000. Thanks.

Configurator Summary
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Case, Black
$69.99

Intel Core™ i5-3570K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache
$229.99

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 8GB)
$99.99

Crucial M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GB
$119.99

WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
$99.99

Asus BC-12B1ST 12x Blu-ray Combo Drive, SATA, OEM
$69.99

MSI N650 Ti Power Edition OC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI
$169.99

Antec Basiq VP-450 450W Power Supply
$44.99

Asus P8Z77-V LK w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI
$144.99

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (x64) DVD - OEM
$119.99

Memory Express Assemble Hardware + Load O/S
$70.00

Sub Total:$1,239.90
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

you should look into doing the assembly yourself. i didn't think i would be able to put my PC together, but memory express puts the CPU and the motherboard together (hardest part) so all you have to do is pretty much screw the stuff in place and wire it properly. also i'd look at places like redflagdeals and the parts picker/price checker sites out there to PM at memory express since if there's a good sale on you could probably get a better part (ie. video card) for a similar price)
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secol For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though they are amazing and improve your experience by a lot, an SSD isn't required, so thats 120$ there.

I wouldn't bother with 16 GB RAM unless you are going to do video editing, audio work or 3D modelling. So that's another $50 off.

I was going to say with the saved $50 from ram I'd upgrade your videocard to a 660 OC because it gets far better performance (about 70%-80% better performance for only a 33% cost increase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Contrary to what PsYcNeT says, I think the SSD is the most vital part of your build and will do the most for your PC to actually make things feel faster and snappier.

Keep the SSD, switch out the 1TB black for a larger capacity drive (Green?)

You can live with 8GB of ram for now and can expand later on. I doubt you will ever use up all 8GB anyway.

Upgrade your videocard with the savings and perhaps look into a higher wattage PSU. If you were building this yourself, I would have recommended a modular PSU but if MemEx is handling the cable hell of a standard PSU, go with that.

Skip the Blu-Ray drive unless you really want to watch Blu-Rays. I stopped putting optical drives into my PCs years ago.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh don't get me wrong, I can't even fathom building a PC without an SSD at this point, but the average user may not care all that much, and he wants to get his total under $1000. Cutting corners is required for that, esp if you're paying someone else to build it.

But yeah, throwing another 5-15$ at the thing to get a 500/600 watt PSU is a good idea.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nice build. Very similar to mine. I'm in agreement with the recommendations above.

Definitely stick with the SSD
Build it yourself...save the $70...just an FYI about the mobo if you do build it yourself...install the wifi component before screwing the board to the case.
At least a 650W power supply
8GB of RAM for cost reduction
Upgrade the video card to the 660
1TB drive should be lots unless you are a packrat
Ditch the OD for cost reduction...but depends on if you use a lot of disc media

Any chance you have an old copy of Windows 7 64bit lying around to use instead of Windows 8? Cost and headache reduction there.

Use shopbot.ca and get memoryexpress to price match the component.
If you are willing to wait for a major ME sale you could probably get $200 of the desktop you already spec'd out without having to change anything.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
At least a 650W power supply
Why so large if he's not going to SLI? Video card watt loads keep going down. 600 is generally all any casual builder needs.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can cut costs by reducing your SSD to 60-64gb, but I wouldn't remove it entirely. Even only keeping the OS and a few vital programs (games) on it would be well worth it.

Disclaimer : I don't have a SSD on my main desktop but the work I have done for clients installing them has me drooling, and waiting for the chance to pick one up for myself.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
You can cut costs by reducing your SSD to 60-64gb, but I wouldn't remove it entirely. Even only keeping the OS and a few vital programs (games) on it would be well worth it.

Disclaimer : I don't have a SSD on my main desktop but the work I have done for clients installing them has me drooling, and waiting for the chance to pick one up for myself.
I don't recommend that. A 60-64GB SSD will have almost no space left over after Windows installs.

A 128GB is a decent spot in terms of price right now and you can get them cheaper if you wait for sales or look around. I sold my new Crucial M4 128GB for $100 last week. I've owned like 5 SSDs and won't use conventional hard drives for anything anymore. It's the most important development in computer technology in 10 years in my opinion for taking away the biggest bottleneck.

SSDs also grow faster with size which is one funny thing about it. A 128GB SSD will be faster than a 64GB SSD.

I would also look for a cheap Windows 7 rather than a new Windows 8.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't recommend that. A 60-64GB SSD will have almost no space left over after Windows installs.

A 128GB is a decent spot in terms of price right now and you can get them cheaper if you wait for sales or look around. I sold my new Crucial M4 128GB for $100 last week. I've owned like 5 SSDs and won't use conventional hard drives for anything anymore. It's the most important development in computer technology in 10 years in my opinion for taking away the biggest bottleneck.

SSDs also grow faster with size which is one funny thing about it. A 128GB SSD will be faster than a 64GB SSD.

I would also look for a cheap Windows 7 rather than a new Windows 8.
I don't agree with it having 'almost no space' after a Windows install, but after checking pricing now that I am back at a computer, I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense to get a 60gb drive right now.

The 128gb drives have dropped enough in price that it is likely a much better long term purchase.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a shame, MemEx had Crucial M4 256GB SSDs on for $169 last Tuesday I think, on one of their daily deals. Damn straight I bought another (oh god at least motherboards have at least 2-4 SATA 3 slots).

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't imagine ever going with a SATA drive over SSD for my Windows. Spend the extra 180~ and get the SSD. It's more important than the CPU and memory. Windows is faster, crisper, and it improves literally everything. Dont skimp on this!

As for the mem ex build, skip the OS load. You can do that yourself and its easy. but pay 40 for them to ut your machine together in a professional and neat manor. It's worth the 40 imo.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One thing I would like to do is have my system integrate better with my SSD and mechanical.

Is there an efficient way to either specify or have Windows prompt a location to download and install things to?

I'm sure there is a fairly easy or overlooked way. But I'm not in front of my PC right now.

I'm always dragging and dropping from my SSD to my mechanical.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
One thing I would like to do is have my system integrate better with my SSD and mechanical.

Is there an efficient way to either specify or have Windows prompt a location to download and install things to?

I'm sure there is a fairly easy or overlooked way. But I'm not in front of my PC right now.

Never select "Express" install. Always use "Custom" and select your mechanical drive.

Even Steam has the option to choose your drive for most game installations now.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

Most apps let you specify the directory, and yeah even Steam now lets you say where you want to install the game (which is awesome).

For downloads, that's a browser or other app (bittorrent client, newsgroup client) thing and they'll each have options for setting the default download directory. I have my browsers always prompt me where I want to download something.

You can also change the place of the "Downloads" directory for Windows (and other ones like Music and Photos and stuff) if you want, I can't remember how but I've done it lots of times (I just google it when I need to remember how).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I create symbolic links on my mechanical drive so my machine thinks the folder is on C:\ (the SSD) but its not so I don't have to deal with configuring things all the time.

I've got my Steam folder on two different physical harddrives but the OS thinks it's the same place.

Same is done with my downloads folder, a few caching/temp folders, etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think you can also mount a drive under a folder on another drive through disk manager (symlinks could be more flexible though allowing for more different places).
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm posting from my rig right now. I ended up keeping the SSD, upgrading the video card, and upgrading the PSU. I was able to get close to my target price through price matching and rebates. I also saved some cash from building it myself. It was actually pretty easy and was fun to learn something new. I'm sure it's not as tidy as if ME had done it but they quoted a week turnaround and I didn't want to wait.
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdso For This Useful Post: