Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #301
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Lol you fail to see my point, this record flatters us, the way the Flames have played they deserve 5-6 wins at most. If we don’t start playing better our luck will soon run out.
eh

the Flames have the eighth best pts% in the west, and eighteenth best in the NHL.

They have the 18th-best powerplay, the 3rd best PK, and 11th-best 5v5 possession (score-adjusted).

I see nothing flattering about that recors. If anything I see a team fighting terrible officiating on a nightly basis, including last night when at least twice in the 3rd period the road team was given the benefit of the doubt on blatant penalties, and then the home team was tagged with an absolutely weak call in overtime.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #302
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish this board would be a bit less hyperbolic. Vegas our main competitor just lost to the Wings. The Canucks just lost to the Devils at home. We could’ve playing better yes, but the fact that even with some shoddy play we’re still near the top of our division is quite good. I think we’re very capable of going on a 8 wins in 10 streak soon.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #303
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I wish this board would be a bit less hyperbolic. Vegas our main competitor just lost to the Wings. The Canucks just lost to the Devils at home. We could’ve playing better yes, but the fact that even with some shoddy play we’re still near the top of our division is quite good. I think we’re very capable of going on a 8 wins in 10 streak soon.
I guess it depends on your expectations. If you believe the Flames are good enough to match last years record then their play is concerning. If your content to come in as wild card or pacific seed 3 then they are right on track. The team hasn't looked bad but they haven't looked like a legit contender even when they are winning so for some that is a let down. I'm not really concerned myself. I'm more interested in how the whole Hamonic, Frolik and Brodie saga will play out as i'm sure this wont be the same team heading closer to the trade deadline and its going to have a significant impact on when the games actually matter.. so i'm just hoping for Tre to pull off some solid deals so we can actually give the Avs a series this year.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #304
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
You failed to make your point. And followed up with more hyperbole.

Lol, the delusion is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #305
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I guess it depends on your expectations. If you believe the Flames are good enough to match last years record then their play is concerning. If your content to come in as wild card or pacific seed 3 then they are right on track. The team hasn't looked bad but they haven't looked like a legit contender even when they are winning so for some that is a let down. I'm not really concerned myself. I'm more interested in how the whole Hamonic, Frolik and Brodie saga will play out as i'm sure this wont be the same team heading closer to the trade deadline and its going to have a significant impact on when the games actually matter.. so i'm just hoping for Tre to pull off some solid deals so we can actually give the Avs a series this year.
I think the record despite inconsistent play (as well as brutal penalty luck) just shows the team is quite talented. They’re not playing their best but are still winning more often than not.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #306
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
The regular season record is pointless. What’s important is that the team makes the playoffs and also how they play against good playoff type teams like St Louis.

Honestly, I’d rather the Flames be the last seed in the playoffs cause it means a better draft pick, but once you get into the dance anything can happen. I didn’t think they had it in them to win last nights game so I’m a little bit more optimistic today that they fought back. However, I think this team still needs to get bigger and more 200 foot players.

Johnny is also the big concern, can he find the next gear to succeed in the playoffs? He’s performed on big stages before but they were all on international ice. It might actually be as simple as to stop yapping at the refs about missed calls, keeping his mouth shut and “earning” the calls. It’s like teams know they can mug him now and aren’t likely to get called. If he can shut his mouth and start getting calls his way, maybe he will start to get more room out there. But constantly showing the red up isn’t going to get him those calls.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #307
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've said it for some time that Guadreau and Monahan have been worked out and unless they can start wearing some big boy pants against the top teams the Flames will be perennial first round cannon fodder. Misery loves company and they both look completely miserable during games and don't seem in least bit engaged in the team effort. I can't believe that Monahan is getting a pretty easy ride this season. His skating still looks like he's pulling a trailer and unless he's scoring he adds nothing to the team. Unfortunately, if he's tied up in the slot he's a dead weight who doesn't have a plan B.
calgaryfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #308
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The regular season record is pointless. What’s important is that the team makes the playoffs and also how they play against good playoff type teams like St Louis.

Honestly, I’d rather the Flames be the last seed in the playoffs cause it means a better draft pick, but once you get into the dance anything can happen. I didn’t think they had it in them to win last nights game so I’m a little bit more optimistic today that they fought back. However, I think this team still needs to get bigger and more 200 foot players.

Johnny is also the big concern, can he find the next gear to succeed in the playoffs? He’s performed on big stages before but they were all on international ice. It might actually be as simple as to stop yapping at the refs about missed calls, keeping his mouth shut and “earning” the calls. It’s like teams know they can mug him now and aren’t likely to get called. If he can shut his mouth and start getting calls his way, maybe he will start to get more room out there. But constantly showing the red up isn’t going to get him those calls.
We are saying the same thing. I was interpreting why some other posters are hyperbolic right now. I dont personally think it matters right now but come playoffs they need to be ready this time.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #309
fireguyfire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
More ridiculous undervaluing of Brodie.

Brodie had 34 points last year, guess how many Toffoli had? Yup 34 points.

Who plays the more prominent position?

The Kings don’t need Brodie cause he is a UFA but if they did, THEY are the ones who have to add.

The problem is that Brodie apologists forget to account for is he also is directly responsible for costing us about the same amount of goals with his panicked coughing up the puck at the worst time tendencies.
He is a good example of high risk/high reward.
fireguyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #310
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyfire View Post
The problem is that Brodie apologists forget to account for is he also is directly responsible for costing us about the same amount of goals with his panicked coughing up the puck at the worst time tendencies.
He is a good example of high risk/high reward.
As one of the Brodie Irrationalists, can you back your claim up?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #311
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Johnny needs to eat some popcorn in the stands as his team mates play. Far too many plays he quits on.
Monahan may need new line mates on a semi permanent basis.
Maybe sit TJ for a game or two, give Stone more time.
wired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #312
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Johnny needs to eat some popcorn in the stands as his team mates play. Far too many plays he quits on.
On the first goal, Rittich played position badly, but it was Stone’s man who escaped him and busted around the net to score. Stone wasn’t impressive.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #313
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired;7269584[B
]Johnny needs to eat some popcorn in the stands[/B] as his team mates play. Far too many plays he quits on.

If your goal is for Johnny to ask to be traded in the summer then that's one way to go.

I've actually seen this kind of post a couple of times. Do people really think Johnny being a healthy scratch will go over well? Do you know how much press that would generate? Johnny would be bombarded with questions for a long time, and rumours would run rampant that he wants out.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #314
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I was busy yesterday and didn't get to the post game reaction topic at all.

Was surprised this morning at how upset people are, to be honest. Good two way game where the Flames stayed on point and stuck with the game plan against a great opponent. That's a building block game in my mind, and not a baby with the bathwater game like some seem to be suggesting.

Thought Mangiapane added to the second line, and the third and fourth lines seem to be developing some jam (they're bottom sixers so I don't expect them to dominate against good teams).

The top line is struggling and Gaudreau in particular needs to chill out a bit, for sure.

But trade this guy, Brodie sucks, we have no centers, this season is doomed stuff just doesn't fit with how I see things.

The Flames have been off this year, but I'm good with that. I think the fix from last year's playoffs should take months, and I'm honestly glad they're sputtering a bit in October and November instead of off to a hot start that may push the playoff issues to the sidelines. Get it out and work on it for seven months.

The numbers suggest they are where they should be, there is nothing in their numbers that suggest they are fluking games, or getting bounces. They've had the 5th hardest schedule to start the season and have battled through discipline issues nightly.

I don't see this team as elite and a true cup contender, but when the dust settles they'll be in that next tier and starting the playoffs seeing what happens.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #315
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
If your goal is for Johnny to ask to be traded in the summer then that's one way to go.

I've actually seen this kind of post a couple of times. Do people really think Johnny being a healthy scratch will go over well? Do you know how much press that would generate? Johnny would be bombarded with questions for a long time, and rumours would run rampant that he wants out.

So are you saying the big name players shouldn't be held accountable? If one game in the press box is going to cause major issues then they got a bigger problem.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #316
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
So are you saying the big name players shouldn't be held accountable? If one game in the press box is going to cause major issues then they got a bigger problem.

You don't scratch your best players. You work with them.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #317
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

The guy got 99 points for you guys last year. Been a top player on this team. I think he deserves the chance to play through his issues or find other ways to get through it. He’s still at almost a PPG pace. You don’t healthy scratch that. Jeez man. I’m an Oilers fan and i think you’re out to lunch.

What’s next? Maybe you send him down to the AHL to get some goals? Cmon.

Johnny in a slump still gives you the best chance to win then whatever scrub you’re replacing him with.

Edit: Well Heep said it better
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #318
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you dont scratch Gaudreau. But you absolutely do everything you can to help get the guys mind straight. Something is very obviously off with him. Like to the point where there's visual rifting between him and others.

All speculative of course but perhaps there's deeper issues at play here.

I like to believe the Organization gives a ship about their players. It's why they have guys like big ern there.

Hopefully whatever is log jamming Gaudreau gets resolved soon.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #319
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. Scratch Gaudreau....

Good grief
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #320
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau is likely the most competitive guy on the team, after Gio. The way he bangs his stick and curses when pucks aren't going in is very telling. He does that even in games where the team leads and he's already out up points. Most likely he's gripping his stick a bit too hard right now.

He's just going through a bit of a slump. Happens to everyone. It'll pass. People need to relax a bit.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote