Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Tech Giants sued over child labor deaths in cobalt mining

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...balt-1.5399492

Quote:
An international advocacy group has launched a lawsuit against some of the world's largest tech companies for the deaths and injuries of child miners in Congolese cobalt mines.

International Rights Advocates brought the case on behalf of 14 Congolese families whose children were killed or injured while mining for cobalt. The metal is key ingredient in the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that power most electronic devices.

The defendants named in the suit include Apple, Microsoft, Dell, Tesla and Google's parent company, Alphabet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good.
We ascollective society need to be willing to either pay more for our products, or demand a slightly lower profit margin for some of the wealthiest companies in the world, for the sake of basic human rights.

A company like apple is already vertically integrated. I think they should be held to a much higher degree of responsibility for their supply chain.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is the case, based on sheer volume, shouldn't the EV industry also get roped into this? Tesla, GM, and VW in particular?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Soft touch liberals on the outside, ruthless corporate jackals on the inside.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
We ascollective society need to be willing to either pay more for our products, or demand a slightly lower profit margin for some of the wealthiest companies in the world, for the sake of basic human rights.
Yeah, it's the latter. For what it actually costs Apple and Samsung to produce their products, it is highway robbery what they charge.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you buy a replacement battery for a phone, it's like $20. I can't imagine there is more than $1 of cobalt in there. Who among us wouldn't be willing to pay $5 more for cobalt for an ethical source? Of course, then you have to add up all the OTHER unethical stuff, environmental damage etc that goes into it...but if I saw 2 batteries on Amazon, and one had Canadian mined cobalt, and the other from Africa, I'd pay the extra $5.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you buy a replacement battery for a phone, it's like $20. I can't imagine there is more than $1 of cobalt in there. Who among us wouldn't be willing to pay $5 more for cobalt for an ethical source? Of course, then you have to add up all the OTHER unethical stuff, environmental damage etc that goes into it...but if I saw 2 batteries on Amazon, and one had Canadian mined cobalt, and the other from Africa, I'd pay the extra $5.
Keep in mind, people stepping over their own mother to save 5 cents is what allowed companies like Wallmart to rise to power. People are cheap and people are lazy...they say they want ethical and local, but their actions often demonstrate the opposite.

Don't worry though, Im sure that battery will still be "designed in California"!
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So sad. Alexa, play despacito.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
So sad. Alexa, play despacito.
Gesundheit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Once you get past the emotional arguments, this is, honestly, a vexatious lawsuit. The tech giants aren't the ones running the mines. This lawsuit is nothing more than PETA-style attention whoring, and it is really no different than suing you over these deaths for buying a smart phone.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Once you get past the emotional arguments, this is, honestly, a vexatious lawsuit. The tech giants aren't the ones running the mines. This lawsuit is nothing more than PETA-style attention whoring, and it is really no different than suing you over these deaths for buying a smart phone.
I get what you're saying but not sure I agree.

More and more companies are being held accountable for their supply chain. They know the material and the background of the material that goes into their product. (They also know that they are being assembled by children in sweatshops, in some cases.) Every major company in the western world has a supplier pre-qualification process. The best one's include criteria for sustainable practices. This isn't new or radical. This is clearly a case of trying to squeeze out every penny of profit, primarily driven by large equity firms shareholders who demand more profit every year and every quarter. It's an unsustainable practice governed by blind, endless greed.

I'll echo the sentiment that I would gladly pay more money for a more ethical smart phone.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Keep in mind, people stepping over their own mother to save 5 cents is what allowed companies like Wallmart to rise to power. People are cheap and people are lazy...they say they want ethical and local, but their actions often demonstrate the opposite.

Don't worry though, Im sure that battery will still be "designed in California"!
Generally these are not the same people. The ones with the 1000$ Canadian made Canada Goose jackets can afford to buy them. The ones with the 49$ Walmart winter coat cannot.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

More and more companies are being held accountable for their supply chain. They know the material and the background of the material that goes into their product. (They also know that they are being assembled by children in sweatshops, in some cases.) Every major company in the western world has a supplier pre-qualification process. The best one's include criteria for sustainable practices. This isn't new or radical. This is clearly a case of trying to squeeze out every penny of profit, primarily driven by large equity firms shareholders who demand more profit every year and every quarter. It's an unsustainable practice governed by blind, endless greed.

I'll echo the sentiment that I would gladly pay more money for a more ethical smart phone.
Ah yes, but heres the rub: How?

Sure, there has been more of a recent outcry about more ethical supply chain management, but the manner in which these companies have been 'made accountable' is more in line with Public/Internet shaming or Boycotting than in any real tangible or judicial terms.

And where that falls flat on its face is when it becomes something that the vast majority of people would prefer to have, regardless of how that item came to be.

And I think cellphones and anything powered by batteries requiring Cobalt are largely going to fall into that category.

Idealism and virtue, like most commodities, have their limits depending on how important that thing is to the average person.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Tech giants upon hearing the news:

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what's the solution? Overthrow the Congo government? Stop using cobalt?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
So what's the solution? Overthrow the Congo government? Stop using cobalt?
Well, in fairness, thats been done so often that I think most Governments have a standing order blueprint for that.

Dont blame me, I voted for Kitenge.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ah yes, but heres the rub: How?
...through the courts? The law isn't static.

" the argument for supply chain liability can be based on a combination of longstanding private law principles and recent case law that acknowledges the need to reinterpret old principles in the light of social change."
Old 12-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The law isn't static, but there are still pretty fundamental principles that would make this sort of thing difficult. Causation, remoteness to name a few.

Reminds me of some recent climate change lawsuits (filed in California, I think?). Municipalities trying to sue big oil for climate change related costs. Aren't their own constituents more proximate to the problem by driving their cars, taking airplanes/cruises etc.?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

I'm not sure vexatious litigation that is more likely to be a stunt to promote donations to the 'cause' than a legitimate effort at helping the kids in the Congo really counts as "holding companies accountable", myself. Certainly you want to pressure these companies, but this isn't a method that's going to be viewed as serious.

Also, as far as being willing to pay more for a more ethical smart phone, here's the key question: how much more? Because we're not talking about raising the price by a few dollars. We're talking about a few hundred dollars. Or more. And if we're being honest with ourselves, if Samsung and Apple felt they could get away with asking $4-500 more for a phone, they'd already be doing it, with or without any justification of ethics.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Generally these are not the same people. The ones with the 1000$ Canadian made Canada Goose jackets can afford to buy them. The ones with the 49$ Walmart winter coat cannot.
No, I think Table5 has it right. It's not that someone shopping at Walmart or trampling old ladies to save $20 can't afford to spend $10 more for one product for ethical reasons. Almost everyone could.

The real issue is that everyone feels entitled to own everything that is awesome. If a person can choose between these scenarios of completely unnecessary, but convenient/fun products...

a) two $100 items, well crafted, locally produced and sold, will last awhile or;
b) three $33 items, cheap, delivered to the door tomorrow and you have THREE THINGS that you want for $100

85% of the lower/middle class is going for option A. The way she goes boys, the way she goes.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: