Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #581
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
With all this Markstrom talk I find it interesting to see how few here are bringing up Tyler Toffoli's name.

He's been close to terrible this post season, and since this is the PGT it should be mentioned what an incredibly idiotic penalty he took last night. Markstrom's gaffe was bad enough, but you'd like to think/hope the team can rally behind him and get it back. Instead......Toffoli takes a needless, stupid penalty in the neutral zone and the team goes down 2-0. For me that penalty was as much of a turning point in the game as Markstrom's mistake. Toffoli has been brutal.
There will be lots of time to dissect things in the off-season but yes, Toffoli has been bad and his penalty was absolutely unnecessary (on Warren Foegele of all people?). That entire line has absolutely no chemistry -- Dube is the only one who can drive any play -- but even on the PP Toffoli has been underwhelming. Feels like every shot off the rush has been high and wide.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #582
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Flames take the next one, doubt creeps into the minds of the opponent. Anything can happen at 3-2.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #583
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
There will be lots of time to dissect things in the off-season but yes, Toffoli has been bad and his penalty was absolutely unnecessary (on Warren Foegele of all people?). That entire line has absolutely no chemistry -- Dube is the only one who can drive any play -- but even on the PP Toffoli has been underwhelming. Feels like every shot off the rush has been high and wide.
I think Jarnkrok - despite his bad luck around the net - is a great bottom-six forward. He's smart, he's fast, and he works hard. With Dube and Jarnkrok together, Toffoli certainly looks out of place. Toffoli hasn't looked good since his initial "omg I'm on a new team" bump that most players seem to hit.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-25-2022 at 12:59 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #584
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I don't think you can call fans of a team that have been a huge failure for 31 of the last 32 years fairweather.

I don't think most fans need Stanley cups, but the team showing up would be be nice. I'm definitely planning to dial back my time and money spent on this team, even if they win in 7.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I let this team affect my mood a little too much (in the post season).
Oh I totally can. It’s accurate.

You can just choose whatever sports team you like. It’s the beauty of it. You aren’t born into it, stuck with one, you can pick and choose. This isn’t directed at you necessarily, but the people who continually drive themselves batty and seemingly force themselves to cheer for this team. Leave, go look up “sunk cost fallacy” and cheer for whoever you want.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #585
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Oh I totally can. It’s accurate.

You can just choose whatever sports team you like. It’s the beauty of it. You aren’t born into it, stuck with one, you can pick and choose. This isn’t directed at you necessarily, but the people who continually drive themselves batty and seemingly force themselves to cheer for this team. Leave, go look up “sunk cost fallacy” and cheer for whoever you want.
I couldn't disagree more. I was born a flames fan as I grew up watching with my dad and brothers. No way can you change your jersey in my eyes. You eat the pain and hopefully have some high points in your life as a fan.

But that's just my view.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #586
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I was born a flames fan as I grew up watching with my dad and brothers. No way can you change your jersey in my eyes. You eat the pain and hopefully have some high points in your life as a fan.

But that's just my view.
Because you’re not a fair weather fan.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #587
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Nm....wrong thread

Last edited by EVERLAST; 05-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #588
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post

But that's just my view.
Totally agree - that's my situation as well.

I am blessed/cursed as a die-hard fan of this team and always will be.

All I can do I guess is try not to be so invested and devastated when things go badly.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #589
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I really want the Flames to come back and win the series but the way things are going whoever advances will be getting absolutely crushed.

Pacific bracket

Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Dallas

It's kinda a joke
I think all these teams have/had a false sense of how good they are right now. Oiler fans think they are a cup contender...they beat the Kings without Doughty and might beat the Flames without Tanev and Markstrom playing absolutely terrible.

Reality check in round three for either team IMO

Flames will need to find their A game to win three straight but if they can't get there it doesn't even matter. B's and C's might keep it close against the Oilers and might even extend the series but not the Avs who are making the Blues look silly.
I'd rather be crushed by Colorado in the 3rd round (or even St.Louis is that series was flipped) than lose to Edmonton in the 2nd round.

Heck, I would have been able to accept defeat to Dallas over a loss to Edmonton.

Losing to Edmonton is the worst.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #590
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
With all this Markstrom talk I find it interesting to see how few here are bringing up Tyler Toffoli's name.

He's been close to terrible this post season, and since this is the PGT it should be mentioned what an incredibly idiotic penalty he took last night. Markstrom's gaffe was bad enough, but you'd like to think/hope the team can rally behind him and get it back. Instead......Toffoli takes a needless, stupid penalty in the neutral zone and the team goes down 2-0. For me that penalty was as much of a turning point in the game as Markstrom's mistake. Toffoli has been brutal.
He has been bad, which feels totally out of character for Toffoli. Is he hurt? Is he just losing a step? Is he not with the right linemates? We need way more from him.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #591
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'd rather be crushed by Colorado in the 3rd round (or even St.Louis is that series was flipped) than lose to Edmonton in the 2nd round.

Heck, I would have been able to accept defeat to Dallas over a loss to Edmonton.

Me too. I would have rather lost to Dallas than go down to these fools. Better to not know how we'd fare against the no-goods than to erase all doubt.

It would have accelerated the future of the team too.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #592
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of truth within that too. 97 has been unreal, but I don't think Edmonton is beating us as much as it's the Flames finding ways to not be their best and lose.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #593
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
None of the teams from the pacific bracket should feel cocky about their team.
Obviously you haven’t met the Coil fans. But…but McDavid.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:18 PM   #594
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
I've been avoiding CP after these losses.

Talking to buddies I said I would put money on Vladar starting Game 4, and was wrong. I would go double or nothing on Vladar in Game 5. Marky has been spooky bad.

The Flames are so insanely predictable right now that even Dallas figured us out (just didn't have the offence).
If you think Vladar is playing game 5 your going to lose a lot of money

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #595
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He has been bad, which feels totally out of character for Toffoli. Is he hurt? Is he just losing a step? Is he not with the right linemates? We need way more from him.
The team needs way more from a lot of players that have been way below expectations all the way back into the regular season to be quite honest. Markstrom is not on his game by a long shot this series but it feels like the entire team is part of this problem with poor decision making that is leading to a lot of chaos and unrest in the defensive zone.

Mangiapane, Toffoli, Coleman, Jarnkrok and Dube have basically only played up to their level for a game or two before reverting to being invisible more often than not all playoffs. Coleman has actually made plays that I wouldn't expect out of a rookie let alone a guy that was supposed to be built for this time of year and the others have just been downright bad.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #596
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
If you think Vladar is playing game 5 your going to lose a lot of money

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
And if Markstrom starts the Flames are just going to lose. There's no switch he's suddenly going to flip, he's been terrible against the Oilers for his entire career

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/jac...dmonton-oilers
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #597
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit that I let this team affect my mood a little too much (in the post season).

AFI needs to be more punk and less emo
Old 05-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #598
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
And if Markstrom starts the Flames are just going to lose. There's no switch he's suddenly going to flip, he's been terrible against the Oilers for his entire career

Well hes 15-15 so theres a 50% chance we win! He's due!

EDIT - Including Playoffs 16-18. He's still due!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #599
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Weird take.

He's played 30 games against the Oilers and has certainly had very good games against them:

That's 13/30 games.

He's played 4 games this series and has posted a .786, .875, .882, .840.

He's due for some better games against the Oilers. So, we got the stinkers out of the way - now it's time for the good games.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #600
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Weird take.

He's played 30 games against the Oilers and has certainly had very good games against them:

That's 13/30 games.

He's played 4 games this series and has posted a .786, .875, .882, .840.

He's due for some better games against the Oilers. So, we got the stinkers out of the way - now it's time for the good games.
Gambler’s fallacy.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote