Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2022, 10:15 PM   #1761
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My oldest got himself engaged tonight. Pretty happy about that.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 07:15 AM   #1762
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have two nephews; both have had steady girlfriends for years, bought houses, had a baby, and now have gotten engaged to be married. My happiness is tinged with old man ignorance .
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 11:32 PM   #1763
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Got a visitor this past week. He is a 12 year old Lab and his name is "Buddy". He belongs to my brother who drove up from Minnesota for a visit. Buddy follows me everywhere I go. In fact I have become his best buddy since he's been here ��

I take him for walks every night and he loves to meet new people along the way. Going to miss him when he leaves tomorrow.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:29 PM   #1764
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

when i first started my business (in 1999) one of my initial purchases was a 1-head embroidery machine (it's called a 1-head becuz it can do 1 piece at a time). over the years i've added multi-head machines and always kept my original 1-head - that sucker just kept going and going. over the last few years the display screen has acted up a bit, but becuz of the age of the machine you can not get parts and guys online that claim they can fix the malfunctioning part have rather underwhelming reviews. i had found some bandaids to keep the screen working but earlier this year it got to the point that i had to get another 1-head machine.
i asked my supplier what i should do with my old machine. his suggestion was to pull out and save any motors and computer cards (becuz i could sell those) and then take everything else to the dump. ugh - it bugged me that i'm throwing out a $26K machine just becuz of a bad display screen - it's like garbaging a car just becuz the head light is broken. i've still held onto the original 1-head (mostly becuz life has been just too busy to disassemble it).
a couple weeks ago a buddy came over and i showed him the new 1-head and then we got talking about the old 1-head. he asked to see it and what the display screen was doing - so i showed him. he wanted to take the computer card that has the display screen is attached to it to work to check a few things - i figured sure... why not... it's not like it works now.
he examined the card under a microscope and could see that lots of the soldering was cracked or broken, so he had one of his guys fix all that stuff and got the card back to me.
i put the card back into the machine yesterday and it works!! i'm so pumped!!

IMG_3884 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 08-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #1765
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
when i first started my business (in 1999) one of my initial purchases was a 1-head embroidery machine (it's called a 1-head becuz it can do 1 piece at a time). over the years i've added multi-head machines and always kept my original 1-head - that sucker just kept going and going. over the last few years the display screen has acted up a bit, but becuz of the age of the machine you can not get parts and guys online that claim they can fix the malfunctioning part have rather underwhelming reviews. i had found some bandaids to keep the screen working but earlier this year it got to the point that i had to get another 1-head machine.
i asked my supplier what i should do with my old machine. his suggestion was to pull out and save any motors and computer cards (becuz i could sell those) and then take everything else to the dump. ugh - it bugged me that i'm throwing out a $26K machine just becuz of a bad display screen - it's like garbaging a car just becuz the head light is broken. i've still held onto the original 1-head (mostly becuz life has been just too busy to disassemble it).
a couple weeks ago a buddy came over and i showed him the new 1-head and then we got talking about the old 1-head. he asked to see it and what the display screen was doing - so i showed him. he wanted to take the computer card that has the display screen is attached to it to work to check a few things - i figured sure... why not... it's not like it works now.
he examined the card under a microscope and could see that lots of the soldering was cracked or broken, so he had one of his guys fix all that stuff and got the card back to me.
i put the card back into the machine yesterday and it works!! i'm so pumped!!

IMG_3884 by bc-chris, on Flickr

Quite a few years back my Acura had a daytime headlight issue with severe flickering and then mostly off... and then it started affecting night lighting too. Garage wanted about $1000 or something to look at and fix. So good 'ole google to the rescue and there I was pulling the DRL out from deep DEEP under the dash... took it inside and could see multiple soldering cracks... so re-soldered all the obvious breaks, cussed and swore a whole lot re-installing... and never had a lighting problem again. The high-use cycle-oriented electronic cards from 15-25yrs ago maybe have these issues in general?? Pretty awesome when it's such a simple fix.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #1766
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Out in the field for three months, in the middle of the bush. Finally got back to my work home base city, and my parents gave me a surprise visit. As a single lad, I was so happy to see them!
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #1767
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fresh food at the farmer's market made me happy today.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #1768
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Going to miss him when he leaves tomorrow.
Foster a dog! AARCS is always looking for good people.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #1769
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took today off to do house siding, but instead decided to go sailing at Glenmore. Great wind, beautiful day. I regret nothing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #1770
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Oh god. Is this going to be the summer of siding?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 03:51 PM   #1771
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh god. Is this going to be the summer of siding?
I didn't really mention it, earlier, but yes, I started in April. Unfortunately I ran into serious scope creep, and ended up opening the walls to fix some really poor electrical wiring. Oh, and remove and re-insulate the main floor walls. Hopefully my dishwasher won't freeze anymore, so I think it will be worth it. Plus I save the Earth through less heating, so yay me.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #1772
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, if you want to do something right scope creep is real. I'm sure it'll turn out great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #1773
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, if you want to do something right scope creep is real. I'm sure it'll turn out great.
What you really need is just a new house.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #1774
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Having one of those get-out-of-jail-free nights where you drink and drink and drink and wake up somehow feeling 100%. I don't even know how much I drank as the hosts were just continually filling up my glass.

Fata yeah.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #1775
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Having one of those get-out-of-jail-free nights where you drink and drink and drink and wake up somehow feeling 100%. I don't even know how much I drank as the hosts were just continually filling up my glass.

Fata yeah.
This sounds like a premature celebration… update us at 2pm today.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #1776
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Got a visitor this past week. He is a 12 year old Lab and his name is "Buddy". He belongs to my brother who drove up from Minnesota for a visit. Buddy follows me everywhere I go. In fact I have become his best buddy since he's been here ��

I take him for walks every night and he loves to meet new people along the way. Going to miss him when he leaves tomorrow.

Dogs are the best judges of character.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #1777
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This sounds like a premature celebration… update us at 2pm today.
You fricken jinxed me dude. If things go south it's on you.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #1778
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
You fricken jinxed me dude. If things go south it's on you.
Delayed onset hangovers are my jam. If anything you should have taken it as a cue to crush a G2 Gatorade.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #1779
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Delayed onset hangovers are my jam. If anything you should have taken it as a cue to crush a G2 Gatorade.
I decided to go a different direction. Crushed a poutine and ice cream.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #1780
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been on a creative binge over the last 24 hours and my youngest has been creating too ( I really don't know who's inspired who at this point). I'm completely floored at how a nine year old has not only come up with the stuff she has (plastic flowers growing out of an old book, for example), but the skill she has for someone who's never taken an art lesson.

edit: added the flower-book pic

Spoiler!

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 08-15-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: