Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a CPAP and love it. I feel much more alert and less irritable with less sleep. And work health insurance paid for all or most of it. If I had to pay it all, I would still do it in a heartbeat. And that is not even factoring the long term health benefit.

I did have to switch up the masks and now use a full face mask. The respiratory people I dealt with at RANA were great. If I had tried to go on the cheap and bought it without the proper consulting, I probably would not have landed on a mask or the various settings that was right for me.

I had a dental device for a little while, but it only lasted a few months. What sucks it is was about as expensive as a CPAP, was quite uncomfortable, and wasn't covered by insurance.

When you travel, it is a free extra carry-on. It is a bit inconvenient for travel, but not that bad. When travelling to Europe, I leave it behind but use Breath-Right strips to improve my breathing. It isn't as good, but reasonable for a couple weeks.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #22
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

If apnea's because a smaller airway wouldn't changing your pillow type make a difference. Maybe your pillow's too high or not resting a bit on your back pushing your head forward?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So I was recently diagnosed with having sever sleep apnea (I apparently stop breathing 31 times per hour) and picked up my CPAP machine last night.

Had a hard time falling asleep with teh mask on my face and dithced it at around 1 am - I know it was night 1, but it was frustrating.

Anyone else out there have sleep apnea or use a machine?
It took me almost a year to get used to the cpap, but it was well worth it. I just had a hell of a time getting used to having something on my face while I tried to go to sleep. Eventually after much fiddling with different masks, tightness of the straps, settings etc etc I got used to it and have never looked back. I literally can not sleep without it now. I had to abort a camping trip this summer because there was no way I could sleep. Just for reference, my sleep apnea was so bad that I would stop breathing over 100 times per hour.

Stick with it long enough to get used to it and you will thank yourself.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wore the mask for a little bit longer last night probably about 5 hrs in total - but i did take it off at one point. must ahve been snoring becasue the wife woke me up - i promptly told her WTF.......

i have the mask that fits over your nose, so when you open your mouth you get a wierd vacum thing going on - seems hard to always sleep with your lips somewhat tight
Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wore the mask for a little bit longer last night probably about 5 hrs in total - but i did take it off at one point. must ahve been snoring becasue the wife woke me up - i promptly told her WTF.......

i have the mask that fits over your nose, so when you open your mouth you get a wierd vacum thing going on - seems hard to always sleep with your lips somewhat tight
Yeah, all the respiratory therapists push the nose pillow mask, so that must mean most people like it. I had it for a couple of years, then last year went to the full mask. It's way better, IMO. No need for the chin strap, I don't feel like a bull with a nose ring, and even if you have a cold or are congested you can still where the machine. With the nose pillows if you are congested you have to stop wearing the mask, which means you get a crappy sleep, which means it's harder to get healthy. It's also more natural to me to breath through either my nose or mouth at various times in the night versus just my nose.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

My dad was diagnosed with really severe sleep apnea about 6 years ago, he was waking up something like 40 times an hour to breathe. He snored my entire life until that point, to the point where it drowned out any other noises in the house. Toward the end of it, he would doze off while sitting in traffic, watching playoff hockey/football games--he just couldn't stay awake, he was completely exhausted every minute of the day. Then he got the cpap machine, and he's a completely different person now. He sleeps through the night, every night, with no problems at all. He raves about his cpap.

He doesn't wear the normal mask, he has the nose pillow thing, but his doesn't have a chin strap, it has a bite guard thing on it (which is perfect, as he also grits his teeth, and the bite guard prevents the gritting at night). I don't know if this is the exact one, but it looks like it.

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/CPAPPRO...qlRxoCkj7w_wcB

It did take him a while to get used to it, but he can't sleep without it now.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My health improved by an order of magnitude after I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and sold a CPAP machine. It was well worth the expense.

I use it every night and always wake up feeling refreshed. Beforehand I used to wake up feeling like a truck had hit me in the night and I thought it was normal because I was waking at 6am to go to work. Was told that I stopped breathing 20 times an hour - which is pretty much the same as if the phone rang 20 times every hour, waking you up.

I've had to replace the mask once, I get it online since the clinic does charge a lot for replacements. It took about a week to get used to it fully, sometimes I'd awaken to find that I tore it off during the night. But that's not the case anymore.

My only complaint is that it feels like it dries out the moisture in my nostrils so I always make sure to wet them before falling asleep. Also, if I wake in the middle of the night to use the washroom I have to spend a while getting used to the air flow again.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #28
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Two "stories":

A psychiatrist I talk too probably way too often was telling me about her experience with apnea in her treatment resistant depression patients. She guessed she cured 20-30% of her TRD patients by sending them for apnea testing and after a diagnosis of severe obstructive apnea they got a CPAP machine. That's a huge missed patient base IMO.

I had a patient in their early twenties with idiopathic emesis diagnosed as Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. He suffered from severe bouts of vomiting that would last days. He was always tired and concerned he may be depressed. He had no GP and happened to go to a different walk in clinic than normal to get his antinauseants refilled. The doctor wanted him to get tested for apnea. He was diagnosed with severe apnea and after 3 years of CPAP use, only two bouts of nausea compared to two to three per month. Crazy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
This was happening with me before as well. I never snored at all growing up, then one year, the girlfriend I was seeing at the time told me that I started to snore, and it progressively got worse to the point where it disrupted her sleep because it was so loud.

This went on for a couple years, and I started looking into Sleep Apnea, and it was discovered that I had enlarged tonsils. Even had a few doctors say that they haven't seen enlarged tonsils like that before. So I had a tonsillectomy done, and my snoring has gone away completely (unless I'm sick, or drinking, but not nearly as bad), and I sleep MUCH better than I did during those years.
Hmm, I'm glad you chimed in...I get severe strep throat generally about once/year, where I'll have to carry an IV around in a fanny pack for a few days. EVEN STILL, they won't remove my tonsils. I wonder if getting a tonsillectomy would work for me as well, with the added benefit being I don't have to carry a fanny pack around.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Hmm, I'm glad you chimed in...I get severe strep throat generally about once/year, where I'll have to carry an IV around in a fanny pack for a few days. EVEN STILL, they won't remove my tonsils. I wonder if getting a tonsillectomy would work for me as well, with the added benefit being I don't have to carry a fanny pack around.
I'd suggest looking into it, people thought it was weird that I was looking into a tonsillectomy as an adult, since it's not as common these days. But it sounds like if you combine the sleep test results, mixed with the severe strep throat issues, you'd have a valid concern for your doctors to check out your tonsils. They may be perfectly fine, but I get the feeling they are often over looked now.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #31
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gee, a lot of people with sleep apnea.

Where do you guys order your replacement parts?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #32
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does a mask / CPAP machine work for side sleepers? Wouldn't you get tangled?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
How does a mask / CPAP machine work for side sleepers? Wouldn't you get tangled?
Not at all. You tend to roll over on the top side so it doesn't tangle. It must subconscious.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My mask has a swivel on the end, where the hose connects, so the hose doesn't get tangled. The mask just needs to be properley adjusted so there are no air leaks when oyou roll to your side.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #35
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll take a month or so but you'll get used to it. And you will know the difference a good nights sleeps makes. It's fantastic. Two years ago I had my first real nights sleep in two decades. Mask fit is important...for me the flexifit 431 is perfect but a similar one from same brand doesn't fit at all. I can't even get to seal at all.

Also want to mention that while dying of sleep apnea may not be common as a direct cause, lack of meaningful sleep has a big impact on mood and health.

Replacement parts....typically amazon.com for me. Ordered from a couple of cpap sites in the past as well though unlike amazon they typically want the prescrption.

Last edited by ernie; 09-20-2014 at 07:23 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #36
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

www.cpap.com I can't recommend the site enough, I got a replacement mask for less than a 1/3 of the Alberta Health Services sleep clinic in Lethbridge. Only weird thing is I had to get a prescription for them to fill the order
Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked at the long times folks have taken to get used to the mask. It took me no time at all. First night I slept great. I did notice that I never moved that first night. Woke up on the same side and same position as I went to sleep in, and I'm a roller.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems that I take one step forward, and then two back...as one night I sleep longer with the mask and the next night it is less
Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #39
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did the consult and tried the cpap machine with great results a few years ago. Unfortunately I can't afford the $1,700 Philips machine that the doctor quoted for.

Are there any reputable online sellers that any of the CP faithful have experience with?

I have a file of paperwork from the clinic but highly doubt that I was provided a prescription as the doctor was also the salesman.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #40
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

A friend of mine works for Provent, a sleep apnea therapy product that is a new technology (considering apnea machines are based on the same assumptions over the last 30 years). I gather they treat mild to medium apnea. No machine, hoses, etc.
http://www.iosleep.com/sleep-apnea/provent.html

It is something you get a consult for, but I gather it is a good product that has been well received by consumers.
If you want an introduction, send me a PM and I can give you his number

Last edited by Flames89; 09-22-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: (I am no way affiliated with this product. The only benefits I stand to receive would be a round or two of beers)
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote