Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #61
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't realize Save-On carried them, thanks!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #62
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We bought some Habenero Heat hot sauce from Don-o-ray farms in Kelowna and it was really good, not sure how it would compare to some of the other ones posted, but I found it to be very spicy, but with a fruitiness from the habenero peppers:
https://www.donorayfarms.com/product...-sauce-165-ml/
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:06 AM   #63
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what it is but as soon as I start reading about hot sauce, my face starts sweating and my mouth watering.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #64
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Love hot sauce! I started making my own as a hobby years back, every year the peppers commandeer more and more room in the greenhouse. So far my favorite varieties for making hot sauce are the super versatile basket of fire peppers, habenero, Carolina reapers, and scotch bonnets. I find habenero and basket of fire peppers add really nice flavor with good heat, while Carolina reapers ect really boost the heat levels.
I like to typically make three different kinds every year. A sweet heat type for those who find milk spicy, a nice and hot type, and then a super hot type that is basically abuse. This year my reapers didn't make it, which was dissapointing but I had lots of habeneros of different varieties so was still happy.
I find over time the hot sauces lose a little heat, but more flavor comes out. Typically I use mild peppers 50/50 with hot varieties to make up base. I prefer Anaheim peppers for this, but bell peppers work well too.

I parallel it to spirits. As it ages, it mellows out and more flavors develop. The same happens with the fermentation of a hot sauce.

Making hot sauce is a fun hobby, but it isn't really economical to replace a steady stream of store bought. It's more for bespoke sauces and enjoyment. It does make quite a bit of sense if you grow your own peppers though.

I quite enjoyed experimenting with making fermented/non-fermented and coarse vs well blended sriracha a few years before Covid. But IIRC, it was like $4-5 worth of ingredients for maybe 200-300 mL of sauce. I'd definitely say I was getting enjoyable sauces that weren't readily available in mainstream markets though.

Playing with adding fish sauce and Asian fermented bean into the sauces was really damn fun too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:56 PM   #65
Knut

Exp:

https://secretaardvark.com/en-ca/

I am not a big hot sauce guy but occasionally I like some heat. These ones I really enjoy.

They are not crazy hot but taste really good and hot enough to scratch the itch.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #66
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting reading this thread. This year for Christmas, one of my gifts to my wife was a hot sauce recipe book. She's super excited about it, as she's been making her own BBQ sauce for a few years now, and has been starting to find the kind of hot sauces available lacking in "exactly" what she wants. Apparently, it's quite a hole to fall into.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #67
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all you spice lovers, Crowfoot Coop has the Hot Ones Pringles on sale this week for $2. They had lots of the Los Calientes Verde and they are damn hot. They had me crying after half a tube. Give them a try.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #68
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hot Sauces

Not a sauce, but Circle Ks have stocked up on the Pacqui one chip challenges. Should be fun!

Edit: damn, lasted 3 minutes

Last edited by Wormius; 09-10-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #69
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not a sauce, but Circle Ks have stocked up on the Pacqui one chip challenges. Should be fun!

Edit: damn, lasted 3 minutes
I had a friend do this and he said it destroyed his stomach for close to a week.

Did that happen to you?
Old 09-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #70
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I had a friend do this and he said it destroyed his stomach for close to a week.

Did that happen to you?

I was okay by the next day. The night-of, though, I felt like I was developing a stomach ulcer so I drank a load of milk and it calmed things down pretty quickly. The exiting of it, went… as expected.

I still have one left, I thought I was going to go head to head with someone but they bowed out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #71
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I handled the chip pretty well, but I did it on an empty stomach and that was a mistake. 20 minutes later if felt like someone shanked me in the stomach.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #72
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

So don't do it then.

I tried the Wild sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings and I was hurting for a few days after. I can't imagine what the Blazing flavour is like.... Their hot is plenty hot for me.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #73
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
So don't do it then.

I tried the Wild sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings and I was hurting for a few days after. I can't imagine what the Blazing flavour is like.... Their hot is plenty hot for me.
I can handle hot things quite well (I've won a couple of hot wings challenges). I've even bought their Wild sauce to use at home several times and it doesn't faze me at all. But Buffalo Wild Wings Blazing, I for the life of me can't eat more than 2 of their wings without feeling really ill.

And if you've ever been to Jungle Jim's, their hottest wings are even hotter. I ate three of theirs and felt dizzy for about half an hour.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #74
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did Carolina Reaper peanut brittle dusted with ghost peppers a couple of years ago. It was quite the experience. I got the hiccups pretty bad.

I only made it a few minutes before having to dive into ice cream and milk.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #75
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s interesting. I also had an instant case of the hiccups when I had the chip.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #76
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #77
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

4th Spot has a nice hot sauce you can buy.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:17 AM   #78
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my gifts for Christmas was the Hot Ones line of hot sauces for their current season.

https://heatonist.com/pages/hot-ones...aled-heatonist

A few notes:

There is a huge jump from #5 to #6. Going from the front half to the back half has always had an increase, but this is ridiculous. ALL of the back half are slightly too hot to enjoy. But I will say that they are all pretty tasty.

1) As always, the Hot Ones Classic sauce is very well made and is very enjoyable with just a small back note of heat. Very palatable, but. barely what I would call a hot sauce.

2) The tropical flavors in the Tropiquante are unique and fun, with enough heat to qualify as a hot sauce. Good, but a little forgettable.

3) Piko Riko has a classic Piri Piri flavor, so it's authentic and has some decently palatable heat, but I've never been a big fan of that flavor, so it's just a decent sauce, not exceptional.

4) The Hot Ones Barbacoa is very flavorful, and would be a great sauce on some ribs or other barbecued meat. Again, solid heat, but nothing too powerful.

5) Sichuan Gold is more like a chili oil, but damn is it tasty. If you like Sichuan peppercorns, this is a staple sauce to have in your home. It is a bit spicy, but very flavorful and palatable.

6) The Turmeric Bomb has incredible flavor. Lots of ginger and turmeric come through, but this is a heat that lingers for a LOOOONG time. There are a ton of different peppers that add different layers of heat and some are up front while others hang out in your mouth forever (Jalapeno, scotch bonnet, ghost pepper, scorpion pepper, and Carolina reaper). I liked it a lot, but it can only be had in small doses.

7) I can't tell if Cosmic Disco was really that hot or if I was experiencing a cumulative heat effect from the previous sauces, but this one really burned. It had really nice flavor with a bit of sweetness and citrus, but their combination of jalapeno and ghost pepper was incredibly hot and kind of blew out my palate. I guess that made the next one easier to handle....nah, I'm lying.

8) Da Bomb: Evolution. Look, this is a bull#### sauce. Nobody is buying this to enjoy it. It's purely for pranks and dares. It now tastes better and less chemically than previous versions, but man, it's just so ####ing hot and it doesn't go away for a LOOOOOONG ####ing time. I don't know how they do it, but it takes like 15-20 minutes for it to calm down from the intense burn to a constant moderate burn, but it's still another 15-20 minutes after that to finally go away. It's just unpleasant.

9) Unique Garlique is very tasty, but I have to be honest, my palate was totally gone at this point and I was in pure survival mode. Lots of heat in this one, but easier to manage than Da Bomb because it goes away quicker. So a big punch of flavor up front, quickly moving to some intense heat, but it goes away in a few minutes.

10) Hot Ones Apollo: It's hot, and that's all I remember. This is where you're just happy to be done with hot sauces for a while. Not for the faint of heart. Still has some very intense heat up front and it lingers for quite a few minutes. Again, like Da Bomb, this is one you do on a dare and for almost no other reason.

All in all, I liked all of them except Da Bomb and Apollo, and I really liked quite a few of them. Like last year I will probably finish all of the sauces in the first half, and then I'll probably get through half of the hotter ones before I throw them out.

On a somewhat related note, one of the previous sauces on the Hot Ones list was Yellowbird's: Bliss and Vinegar. I cannot recommend this one enough. It's just so damn tasty.

https://www.yellowbirdfoods.com/prod...39727598043191

They also have a Plum Reaper sauce that goes great on pizza. I would recommend.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #79
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I picked up some Hot Ones Classic Garlic Fresno Editions and I'm hooked. I'm not big into hot sauce, but that one hits the spot for me.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #80
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I dipped a chip into Da Bomb....it was pretty awful. It was just a stabbing pain that seemed to last for a while. Little to no actual flavor. I've always wondered how they toss their wings on "Hot Ones". However, if the wings are covered in Da Bomb it would be a pretty awful experience, with no redeeming qualities. Most guests take a nibble of that wing, but some go all in and bite all the meat off. Maybe if you can swallow most of it before it lingers in your mouth that would better?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote