Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you like automatic tipping?
Yes 18 11.11%
No 144 88.89%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #101
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Except for you, fotz######y; you we're charging double and I'm gonna pee in your beer.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #102
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Thanks for your input, CP. After the overwhelming negative response from you, we have decided not to implement an automatic tip policy.
Good call. I've been to a few restaurants where the tip is automatic (even for small parties) and as a whole the service was lousy.

Perhaps the best way to get feedback is to simply work some extra time or put an extra manager on the floor for a couple of weeks who has the responsibilty of talking to customers as they leave the restaurant or before they pay the bill.

I've had this opportunity a few times and provided the manager is respectful of your wishes at that time, or better yet comes with a glass of house wine or a pint, it seems to go over well. Also had servers ask about their performance prior to handing me the bill and how they might improve. No problems with any of that but an automatic tip pretty much puts the onus on the manager to have top notch servers and kitchen running like a well oiled machine 24/7 because if I get bad service I'll never even consdier coming back again. And most people will tell their friends never to go as well. Don't have the automatic tip and if you suck one day I will give you another chance (unless you gave me food poisoning).
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #103
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

excellent discussion here, everyone. Except you, fotze.

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #104
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Thanks for your input, CP. After the overwhelming negative response from you, we have decided not to implement an automatic tip policy.
I can see it now.

driveway gathers his staff for a meeting, they all expect the details of the much discussed auto tip program:

"Well ladies and gentlemen, after much deliberation I have decided NOT to implement auto tips"

Employee: "WTF? You told us we wouldn't get screwed anymore on the tips and could now just relax and do our jobs."

driveway: "Yes I know I said that but I talked to CP about it and they said no, so I can't do it. CP is all knowing guys I just can't go against the collective genius that is CP"

All Employees: "AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH"
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #105
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

No, it's not O... and a big thanks for putting the poll on this page. Helped our decision a lot.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #106
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #107
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

After having been here in Asia for a month, it's incredibly nice to know that I don't have to tip anywhere. It's just not something they do here. I've never agreed with the logic of tipping; markup on food is usually high as it is, and of you want a job that pays well... Well then, seek a better paying job. If you want tip money, work so that you earn it. Otherwise, I'm paying your tip what I think it should be worth- anywhere from zero to how badly you earn it.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #108
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I would have liked the idea--if only for the fact that it would force my "thrifty" mother-in-law to actually leave a decent tip. In fact, 14% would more than triple her usual tip--I saw her leave 2$ on a 60$ bill one time.

I "forgot my keys" and went back and left a little more money on the table. But bring it up to her, and she doesn't understand that she did anything wrong.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #109
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I don't see any point in differentiating the restaurant in any way unless it directly improves the food. This will only direct the customer attention to the tipping policy. Bad move.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #110
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post

I "forgot my keys" and went back and left a little more money on the table. But bring it up to her, and she doesn't understand that she did anything wrong.
It's that kind of thinking that is what is wrong with tipping nowadays - that it's immoral to leave less than I've been told is acceptable (which by the way hasn't stopped increasing since I started tipping, which has been less than 15 years). Judging from the response here I'm not the only one that thinks that, which is a huge relief.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #111
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
It's that kind of thinking that is what is wrong with tipping nowadays - that it's immoral to leave less than I've been told is acceptable (which by the way hasn't stopped increasing since I started tipping, which has been less than 15 years). Judging from the response here I'm not the only one that thinks that, which is a huge relief.

It is a problem that tipping is inflationary--but that's an unrelated issue, having to do with people not wanting to "seem cheap" to their friends. Money, especially in restaurants, has become a way of acting like "the big dog" at the table.

But to pretend that somehow you have a "moral right" to not tip even if the service is great is a bit stingy in my view. People who wait tables get paid very little as a rule. In the U.S. they can be paid less than minimum wage, with the expectation that tips can make up the difference. Tipping is your way of influencing the type of service that you get for your money. If it didn't exist, wages for servers would have to increase, and there would be no motivation to provide good service in the first place. The stakes of "tipping" may not be very high for you--but for the person who served you it can make all the difference, and that person is working hard for that money. Or if they're not, you can withhold it. Pretty simple.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #112
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Tipping is your way of influencing the type of service that you get for your money.
*Mr. Pink rant*

I agree but I think that's stupid. Servers treating some customers better because they anticipate a better tip or servers resenting small tips. Just like everyone else in the freaking world, you've got an effing job, do it.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #113
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
*Mr. Pink rant*

I agree but I think that's stupid. Servers treating some customers better because they anticipate a better tip or servers resenting small tips. Just like everyone else in the freaking world, you've got an effing job, do it.
Personally, I tip because I deeply fear the power of the "last person to handle my food before I eat it."
Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #114
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If there was not tipping, employers would have to pay higher wages to servers, and we would have to pay more for meals. Cheap tippers are getting their meal costs subsidized by big tippers?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #115
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I go and eat with a friend regularly who tips around 30%

I sure as heck don't want to chip in on that, I had to go to the freaking bar to get my drink refilled. But its going on his credit card and I don't want to be a jackass so...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #116
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
I don't want to be a jackass so...
Uhhh.... hasn't that ship more or less sailed?

I agree, though--30% is excessive. Your friend wants to be the alpha male.

Just... sniff his crotch a few times and then roll over onto your back--he should give it a rest if he doesn't see you as a threat.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #117
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tip well and I resent cheap people who nickle and dime everyone at the table with a pathetic tip. I've even gone as far as to ask if I'm supposed to top it up for them so we don't seem like cheapskates. I love when they get offended by the truth. The cheap people of the world can kiss my ass.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #118
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Uhhh.... hasn't that ship more or less sailed?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #119
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not saying he should and it may be offside the rules of the board but how many people here would go to Driveway's place knowing he is actually thinking about these things and has a high opinion of his place, his food and his people, which is good?

I know I would definately consider checking the place out, just because the manager is trying to improve and obviously cares.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #120
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem with mandatory tips for large partys. I think we've all been somewhere where the bill comes around, everyone pitches in some money and at the end when it gets back to you, you realize despite you leaving a substantial amount for a tip on your part, there's only a 10$ tip on a 300$ bill.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money , restaurants , service , tipping