Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc... > Olympics
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #61
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Oh well. They did their best.
Did their best? They played terribly all week by any measure.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #62
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Don't make it personal.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #63
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

That slow mo of the handshakes sums up what type of person Rachel Homan is

Edit: You can add that interview as well
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #64
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t know enough about curling strategy to criticize their strategy. How are they unlikeable?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #65
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Did their best? They played terribly all week by any measure.
That is the best they had this week. It’s not like they were sandbagging. I’m pretty sure they are upset with the week but they were trying their best.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #66
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What a terrible interview with Homan, why ask those question? "Are you disappointed?" Some groundbreaking questions there...
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #67
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not only did she completely choke, she became super unlikable throughout that tournament.

Her decision on the burned rock against Denmark changed my opinion of her completely
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #68
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I don’t know enough about curling strategy to criticize their strategy. How are they unlikeable?
There was the removal of the burnt stone against Denmark for starters and she was pouting because things didn't go her way.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #69
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't see what she did but I know my mom dislikes her attitude so much that she couldn't bring herself to cheer for her even representing Canada.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #70
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I know it's the first time without a medal since curling was added in the Olympics... But there's a lot of panic and anger out there right now, I jokingly made the post on the last page about the summit a la hockey, but that's not far off from what some people are wanting. The rest of the world has gotten a lot better over the past few decades. We don't have a dominion over curling anymore, this is the new reality. Homan's rink still went on an incredible run to even qualify for the games.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #71
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me on the other hand, with the way how poorly things went for them this week, I'm impressed with the level of composure they maintained...
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #72
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
That slow mo of the handshakes sums up what type of person Rachel Homan is

Edit: You can add that interview as well
Really? I feel bad for her. The reporter is basically grilling her right after her Olympic dream is crushed. I mean yeah...they had a rough week and we were all hoping they'd win the gold, but so were they. I think it's pretty brutal to be asked five minutes later "when did you know the tenth end was off the rails?" or "how much naval gazing will Canada do now?" right after losing and confirming that you're out of the playoffs.

I know plenty of people here don't like Homan...I do. I think she's a hard competitor, and just hates losing. That's obviously what comes through when athletes aren't performing as they'd like or things aren't going their way. I think that's a good quality for these high-performance athletes as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #73
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I know it's the first time without a medal since curling was added in the Olympics... But there's a lot of panic and anger out there right now, I jokingly made the post on the last page about the summit a la hockey, but that's not far off from what some people are wanting. The rest of the world has gotten a lot better over the past few decades. We don't have a dominion over curling anymore, this is the new reality. Homan's rink still went on an incredible run to even qualify for the games.
I think it’s wonderful for the sport to see countries like South Korea putting up a great showing. Hockey is so much better because of the increased parity that has developed between countries over the past couple of decades.

Homan and her team beat themselves most of the time. They missed easy draws and blank opportunities.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #74
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
There was the removal of the burnt stone against Denmark for starters and she was pouting because things didn't go her way.
All I get here is the live feed of the games. It was obvious she was playing quite poorly all week. But aside from the dumb move with the Danish rock, what is the issue with her attitude? Am I missing something?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #75
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Really? I feel bad for her. The reporter is basically grilling her right after her Olympic dream is crushed. I mean yeah...they had a rough week and we were all hoping they'd win the gold, but so were they. I think it's pretty brutal to be asked five minutes later "when did you know the tenth end was off the rails?" or "how much naval gazing will Canada do now?" right after losing and confirming that you're out of the playoffs.

I know plenty of people here don't like Homan...I do. I think she's a hard competitor, and just hates losing. That's obviously what comes through when athletes aren't performing as they'd like or things aren't going their way. I think that's a good quality for these high-performance athletes as well.
Yeah, Colleen Jones is an annoying twat, but Homan could have handled the interview with a lot more grace than she did. I appreciate the competitiveness, but that does not exclude her from handling herself with class.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #76
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a country, Canada is miles ahead in terms of depth but just about any team that makes it to the Worlds or Olympics can win any game which is really good for the sport.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #77
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Can't say they deserved better.

I'm baffled. This isn't like they missed one shot in a tight playoff game. To miss so many shots, in so many ends, in so many matches - I can't think of a more disappointing Olympic team.

I wonder if we can change our qualification system from a single deciding tournament to some sort of overall ranking, like an Elo system.

Last edited by SebC; 02-20-2018 at 07:59 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #78
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
All I get here is the live feed of the games. It was obvious she was playing quite poorly all week. But aside from the dumb move with the Danish rock, what is the issue with her attitude? Am I missing something?
I think she rubs people the wrong way, but of course not everyone is going to feel the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #79
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Mark McMorris with an opening score of 89 in his first qualifying jump in Big Air
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #80
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hope someone knocks Vonn off the podium. Not likely to happen now though.

Watching the NBC feed, they skipped the skier in front of her, and she’s all smiles for the camera and interview when she thought she would finish second and then starts crying when gets bumped to bronze.

And the early skiers like her didn’t have to deal with the wind that is totally slowing down the next group.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote