Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 09:13 AM   #421
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sneed to Tennessee for a 2025 3rd and a swap of 2024 7ths.

Feels a bit meh for both sides. Don't really see the fit for Sneed with the Titans ... they shouldn't be a playoff team, so not sure giving up draft capital and a big contract for a 27 year old corner with health concerns makes sense. Return for KC also a bit underwhelming, given Sneeds quality - but they didn't seem to have much leverage.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #422
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Chiefs will miss Sneed. But you can't pay everyone and if they want to keep winning they need more draft picks to keep replenishing the roster.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:34 AM   #423
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
During the 2024 season, kickers will continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players on the kickoff team will line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team will line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard lines. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line.

No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or hits a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks will be marked at the 30-yard line, and no fair catches will be allowed. In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it will have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks will be allowed.

The proposal follows the structure and philosophy of the XFL version with a slight shift in where the players are aligned. In the XFL, they lined up farther downfield, between the returning team's 30- and 35-yard lines. More than 90% of kickoffs were returned during the XFL's two seasons. NFL special teams coaches who participated in designing the NFL version of this format are hoping for a return rate of at least 80% in 2024.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...p-kickoff-play
Old 03-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #424
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I'm not sure what to think of this change right now. I'll have to see it in action.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:36 AM   #425
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hip drop tackle is a 15 yard penalty now as well.

This feels like a joke.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:19 AM   #426
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The hip drop tackle is a 15 yard penalty now as well.

This feels like a joke.
Kinda makes sense when you look at the numbers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-nfl-...215134053.html

Quote:
The hip-drop tackle, league executives began saying last year, inflicted injury at 25 times the rate of the average tackle.

And this wasn’t just any injury, the league’s health and safety committee said. This was a time-loss injury.

Fifteen times last season — nearly once a week in a sport where each team plays 17 regular-season games — a player was tackled via what the league is now calling a “swivel” hip-drop tackle, and that player missed game time due to the tackle.

Perhaps as concerning for the committee: The 230 examples of this move that they found on 2023 tape represented a 60% increase from the previous season’s frequency.

“This isn’t an elimination of hip drop,” competition committee chairman Rich McKay said in a Monday afternoon news conference. “This is elimination of a swivel technique that doesn't get used very often and when it is used, it is incredibly injurious to the runner. The runner is purely defenseless.

“Yes, we outlawed the hip drop. But what you may think [of], the drag from behind when he falls, that’s still a [legal] tackle. This is only that tackle where the player is lifting himself in the air and then falling on the legs.”
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:33 AM   #427
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Refs already have a hard time getting calls right. Good luck with the hip-drop tackle.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:34 AM   #428
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Nerfed the kickoff for XFL rules . Quit the pretense and eliminate the kickoff entirely instead of wasting our time.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:35 AM   #429
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Kinda makes sense when you look at the numbers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-nfl-...215134053.html
Right but it will be hard one to call. We all know how bad the refs are in the NFL.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:36 AM   #430
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm not sure what to think of this change right now. I'll have to see it in action.
Not quite the same but close enough

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772615947922149879
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:43 AM   #431
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just get rid of the kickoff.

NFL going to have a Wednesday Christmas doubleheader. Everything in the name of player safety.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #432
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Not quite the same but close enough

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772615947922149879
The majority of the kickoffs get booted into or through the end zone currently so is this new rule/formation enough for a change in strategy and kickers leaving it short of the end zone?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #433
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The majority of the kickoffs get booted into or through the end zone currently so is this new rule/formation enough for a change in strategy and kickers leaving it short of the end zone?
I think they may kick to the player now, touchbacks are at the 30.

I don't think this increases any chance of returns.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:10 PM   #434
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes? Touchbacks now go to the 30 and you cannot fair catch. Popup kicks to the 5 probably most likely now I’d imagine. After marinating on it a bit I’d say this is the worst change to football in my lifetime that’s how stupid I think it is. Between the spacing, the idiot timing, the fact they’ve now banned surprise onside kicks, ugh. I hates it so much
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:13 PM   #435
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Yes? Touchbacks now go to the 30 and you cannot fair catch. Popup kicks to the 5 probably most likely now I’d imagine. After marinating on it a bit I’d say this is the worst change to football in my lifetime that’s how stupid I think it is. Between the spacing, the idiot timing, the fact they’ve now banned surprise onside kicks, ugh. I hates it so much
The NFL is turning into a gimmick league.

Dumb rule changes. Increasing European games. Thursday night football.

If the Super Bowl heads to Europe that's it for me.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #436
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing surprise onside kicks makes this an issue.

I don't mind the rule for kickoffs in general, but no surprise onside kicks makes this suck.

It's rare but when a successful surprise onside kick happens it's generally a ton of fun
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:43 PM   #437
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Once again, South Park proves right, this time with football.
Check that.
Sarcastiball.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:18 AM   #438
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Police are searching for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice in their investigation of a major accident Saturday in Dallas, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Citing law enforcement officials, the Dallas Morning News reported that a vehicle that is believed to be registered to or leased to Rice was involved in a crash in northeast Dallas at around 6:20 p.m. local time Saturday.

A police call sheet obtained by the Dallas Morning News confirmed that officials are searching for Rice in connection with the crash.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...major-accident
Old 04-01-2024, 06:33 AM   #439
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

After ther Ruggs incident it's clear that some young players still aren't getting the message that alcohol and fast cars is a really bad idea. Leaving the scene of the crime seems to be the go-to move to get away with jail time as Jalen Carter can attest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:27 AM   #440
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Former Detroit Lions cornerback Cameron Sutton turned himself in to law enforcement, ending a weeks-long search for the defensive back who had a warrant issued for domestic violence. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office announced that the 29-year-old arrived at the jail in Tampa, Florida on Sunday night.

"After weeks of evading law enforcement, this man has finally made the right choice to turn himself in," Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said, via the Associated Press. "Domestic violence has no place in our community, and no one is above the law here in Hillsborough County. My thoughts are with this woman as she continues to heal from this man's gruesome actions."

Police were initially contacted on March 7 regarding an alleged domestic incident involving the former Pittsburgh Steelers starter, and the victim's name is still being withheld. Sutton was specifically wanted for domestic battery by strangulation, which is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/f...lence-warrant/

still too many idiots in this league.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: