Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #221
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone had this Kentucky Bourbon Ale. The ale is kept in bourbon barrels for several weeks to take on a bourbon flavour and it comes through really strongly. http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Page...BarrelAle.aspx Nearlyevery person I know who has tried it really liked, though I personally found it really unpleasant. I met the beer maker here in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago while he was out here participating in distribution arrangements. Didn't tell him what I thought, but was pretty happy to stick to wine when we got to drinking.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 04-21-2012 at 10:44 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #222
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

If you are looking to find some beers you don't normally see served in pubs in Calgary I recommend checking out LDV Pizza Bar in Bridgeland.

These lists have changed/grown since they were posted to the website, quite a few more bottles in the selection now, but this gives you an idea. I'm currently on a La Chouffe kick.

http://ldvpizzabar.com/wp-content/up...DV_draught.pdf
http://ldvpizzabar.com/wp-content/up...ottledbeer.pdf

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 04-25-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #223
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I'm currently an a La Chouffe kick.
Nice choice. I love La Chouffe. It's quite strong though. Gotta be careful!
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackEleven For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #224
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't know man, beer has so many different types already I just kind of put the fruity tasting beers into their own category.

I love lambics as well and they are verrry different when compared to any other type of beer. Embrace the variety!

On that note, if you haven't tried a good lambic, go out and do so! They are quite unlike any other beer...they don't even taste like beer really.

Try out any of the Cantillon brand, or try out Duchesse De Bourgogne which isn't a lambic but tastes very similar in my opinion...and is amazing.

Pic is big, sorry.
Spoiler!
So I had this a couple of days ago as per your suggestion.

Wow, what a flavour explosion. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a day, too much perfume, but it was a nice novelty to kick back after a million IPAs. Tastebuds stood up and sang.

So fruity!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #225
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Wow, what a flavour explosion. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a day, too much perfume, but it was a nice novelty to kick back after a million IPAs. Tastebuds stood up and sang.

So fruity!
Really glad you liked it! It definitely isn't a beer you'd have all the time, but it is fantastic for changing it up now and then...and surprising people with. I love the IPAs as well but they do wear on you after a while.

Have you tried Red Racer IPA? I've talked about it before, but it is great. That along with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA are two of my favorite.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #226
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
If you are looking to find some beers you don't normally see served in pubs in Calgary I recommend checking out LDV Pizza Bar in Bridgeland.

These lists have changed/grown since they were posted to the website, quite a few more bottles in the selection now, but this gives you an idea. I'm currently on a La Chouffe kick.

http://ldvpizzabar.com/wp-content/up...DV_draught.pdf
http://ldvpizzabar.com/wp-content/up...ottledbeer.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Nice choice. I love La Chouffe. It's quite strong though. Gotta be careful!
Try the Mc Chouffe or Houblon Chouffe if you can. They are both really, really delicious beers. The Mc Chouffe is a nice fruity dark beer (8% ABV), and the Houblon is an IPA style (9% ABV). Both are unfiltered.

My brother and I were at a Belgian Beer night a year or two ago at Willowpark liquor, and the guest of honour was the founder of the LaChouffe brewery Chris Bauweraerts. Super knowledgeable guy, funny stories, and I like how with the Belgian accent he called it "bee" instead of beer.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #227
BlackEleven

Exp:

I was in Belgium last June. I think I tried just about every variety of Chouffe there was. Didn't find a bad one in the lot.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #228
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

some times beer is over thought.

i am still a fan of Lucky, Old Mill Wall Pee or PBR after hockey, nothing better.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #229
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

i am still a fan of Lucky, Old Mill Wall Pee or PBR after hockey, nothing better.
Agreed, I have Kokanee after every hockey game and I'm a huge beer snob. Nothing wrong with a simple beer sometimes.

As for the McChouffe, that is a fantastic beer. I didn't like their IPA as much, but the McChouffe is a solid belgian (my absolute favorite beer type).

Try out the blue Chimay, La Trappe (the quadrupel if you can find it, I think it goes by a different name though Koenigshoeven or something) and St. Bernardus Abt 12. Gouden Carolus is another amazing one. You can find a bunch of these on tap at Craft as well, nice way to try them, though they are 9 bucks each. Amazing beers though.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #230
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Split a big bottle of Nectar of the Gods last night. Delicious
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #231
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was craving an IPA last night, so I went looking for Red Racer. Alas the local beer store was out of stock so I was recommended this delicous alternative....

I wouldn't add this to my regular rotation, but I'll definately remember the name when looking to curb future IPA cravings
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #232
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Split a big bottle of Nectar of the Gods last night. Delicious
I don't want to speak for everyone else, but could you please put less effort into your posts in this thread?

The almost complete overload of information in your posts is distracting.

Thanks
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #233
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

There's a book I read a while back (Midnight Hockey by Bill Gaston) where the rules of dressing room beers are laid down: post-hockey beer has to be 4-C - Cheap, Cold, Canned, Canadian-made. I think that's a good criteria.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #234
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
There's a book I read a while back (Midnight Hockey by Bill Gaston) where the rules of dressing room beers are laid down: post-hockey beer has to be 4-C - Cheap, Cold, Canned, Canadian-made. I think that's a good criteria.
agreed, we had some russian dudes that played as well. one brought Heinnie in the bottle, and another bought Stella in bottle.....they were back on the beer rotation the every week till they figured it out.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #235
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

So fruity!
This reminded me that I have some Duchess in the fridge right now. Started the day with a bottle at 7:30 this morning too before heading out to my wife's company's family fun day.

The last time I was out I discovered how good this beer is too.

Delicious, sour kind of beer.

I liked it so much it took me away from my standard choice for most of the night.

I am usually on the 8 or 10. My friend's bar has so many fantastic beers it can be hard to choose, but whenever I go to the fridge this one consistently stands out to me.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #236
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I was in Belgium last June. I think I tried just about every variety of Chouffe there was. Didn't find a bad one in the lot.
Sigh... I just came back from Belgium and am having problems drinking the swill that passes for beer here again. La Chouffe, Leffe, Delirium, Orval, and Trappiste brews... going for a Keiths just isn't the same. One thing's for sure, aftering getting used to 8% and 15% brews, our 5% seems like water.

It's getting expensive buying Belgium imports here though, is there such a thing as "cheaper" places to get them? I'm trying GIB and WR to at least try and fill the void.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #237
BlackEleven

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Sigh... I just came back from Belgium and am having problems drinking the swill that passes for beer here again. La Chouffe, Leffe, Delirium, Orval, and Trappiste brews... going for a Keiths just isn't the same. One thing's for sure, aftering getting used to 8% and 15% brews, our 5% seems like water.

It's getting expensive buying Belgium imports here though, is there such a thing as "cheaper" places to get them? I'm trying GIB and WR to at least try and fill the void.
I'm not sure if you can get it in Calgary (I live in Montreal), but there's a Quebec brewery here that brews a beer called Blonde d'Achouffe. It's a total rip-off of La Chouffe, has almost the same logo and everything, but it's a fraction of the price. It actually tastes remarkably similar to the original. And I have a headache now because I had a few too many of them last night.

Bottle looks like this:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1535/14801
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #238
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the craziness over La Chouffe? Their beers are good, but they never strike me as special. They just don't seem that distinctive. There are many other beers from Belgium, the states and other places that stand out to me more than them.
Good, but just not special.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #239
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
What's with the craziness over La Chouffe? Their beers are good, but they never strike me as special. They just don't seem that distinctive. There are many other beers from Belgium, the states and other places that stand out to me more than them.
Good, but just not special.
Agreed, but La Chouffe is a solid, accessible Belgian beer, whereas many of the others definitely require a more adventurous palate.

Duchess is still probably my favourite among those - it's just a beautiful, refreshing thing. I'd love to try it in draught to see how it goes by the pulled pint.

Grand Cru is similar (but I think Duchess is better), and I hadn't realized that it was a Rodenbach until I saw the picture above. Rodenbach (not Grand Cru) is another delicious and accessible Belgian beer (which sells for about 1 Euro a can in Belgian grocery stores - the lucky #######s).

I've recently been getting back into this one:

It's perfect for an afternoon golfing in Stanley Park - delicious even when lukewarm, doesn't require you to drink too much due to high alcohol content, not too pricey.

I've also been getting into Yankee microbrews a lot lately, since a relatively new beer bar opened up nearby with a constantly rotating menu. Among the most drinkable of the bunch is this one:

Insofar as local beers are concerned, Red Racer doesn't make a bad beer (and curiously, they all do really well out of the can - which I find some beers don't).
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #240
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Also, haven't had this one in years since Big Rock doesn't bottle it, but I loved it whenever I could find it - usually in that hipster bar across from the Ship & Anchor:

Anyone had one lately? I don't know if Big Rock even makes it anymore.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty