Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default $6200 Hotel Bill For 1 Night

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartandhp

Reading over this story, a guy got charged nearly $6200 for a hotel room for 1 night, of which the cost of the room was about $200.

He used Expedia, and ended up (somehow) with $3150 in "taxes and fees" and $2840 in "property fees."

A picture of the online posting is shown, with the whole thing totaling out nearly $6200. At that point, I'm wondering why he hit 'accept' or 'pay now' if, after a quick review, he could see that he was going to be charged $6200.

I have used Expedia in the past, but won't use them to actually book. I just find the info I'm looking for, and call directly. Seems like a good practice to keep up.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He claims he was in a hurry and didn't see that part. Either way he did get refunded + a $200 voucher and they fixed the listing, but I guess "Man spends hours on phone to resolve bill dispute" doesn't make as good of a headline

That is why I just book direct though. Easier to get stuff resolved if it goes bad

Last edited by btimbit; 05-17-2019 at 08:24 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted a comment on CBC, I'm not sure if it was deleted or not, but this whole thing seems bizzare. It is obviously a mistake and something that Expedia should make right but it also seems like this guy probably saw the error and thought he might be able to get some media time or something?

He makes a $6200 non refundable booking yet he decides that he doesn't even want to stay at the hotel and instead books another room next door for $155? Something just doesn't add up there.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Either way he did get refunded + a $200 voucher and they fixed the listing, but I guess "Man spends hours on phone to resolve bill dispute" doesn't make as good of a headline
Did he though? In the article I posted, he noted that he's contacted Expedia 8 times and still doesn't have a resolution, and he's contacted his credit card, who has been unable to contact Expedia. I didn't see anything about him getting a refund or a voucher. Was that a different/updated article or just very poor reading comprehension on my part?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I posted a comment on CBC, I'm not sure if it was deleted or not, but this whole thing seems bizzare. It is obviously a mistake and something that Expedia should make right but it also seems like this guy probably saw the error and thought he might be able to get some media time or something?

He makes a $6200 non refundable booking yet he decides that he doesn't even want to stay at the hotel and instead books another room next door for $155? Something just doesn't add up there.
I think you wouldn’t stay there because then it could be construed as accepting the terms of the rental agreement and make a dispute with your credit card more difficult.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Did he though? In the article I posted, he noted that he's contacted Expedia 8 times and still doesn't have a resolution, and he's contacted his credit card, who has been unable to contact Expedia. I didn't see anything about him getting a refund or a voucher. Was that a different/updated article or just very poor reading comprehension on my part?
Oh my bad, I read this story on Reddit at the same time and just assumed it was the same link.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-inn-1.5139297

Quote:
After the story was published, Expedia contacted Smerchanski and offered him a refund along with a voucher for $200.

"Our team has reviewed this case, and we have gone ahead and processed a refund for this customer in full. We are very sorry this issue occurred, and deeply regret this experience," spokesperson Mary Zajac wrote in an email to CBC News.

"In this particular instance, we do feel we could have resolved this issue in a quicker manner," she said.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you wouldn’t stay there because then it could be construed as accepting the terms of the rental agreement and make a dispute with your credit card more difficult.
He already accepted the terms of the agreement though by completing the transaction to reserve the hotel which was clearly identified as having X rate and Y fees. Staying in the room doesn't make him any more or less likely able to fight the charges. I don't know about Expedia, but hotels are almost always willing to work with their customers after their stay if they have issues or if problems occur.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Don’t. Use. Expedia.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 05-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Expedia for all my personal hotel bookings. Never had a problem. In fact I think I save a lot of time and money by using it.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I stopped using Expedia when I booked a flight on there and showed up at the airport to discover the flight had been changed and they didn't notify us. If I had booked directly with the airline we would've been notified. After hours on hold, Expedia claimed they had notified me (they didnt) and offered a $50 voucher. I don't know why anyone would use Expedia, Travelocity etc.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I stopped using Expedia when I booked a flight on there and showed up at the airport to discover the flight had been changed and they didn't notify us. If I had booked directly with the airline we would've been notified. After hours on hold, Expedia claimed they had notified me (they didnt) and offered a $50 voucher. I don't know why anyone would use Expedia, Travelocity etc.

Not to excuse Expedia for not notifying you, but wouldn't it be common sense to check your flight before leaving for the airport? Even if it was booked through the airline?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I use Expedia for all my personal hotel bookings. Never had a problem. In fact I think I save a lot of time and money by using it.
I stay in hotels between 200 and 280 days a year and whenever I check any of those travel sites the price is the same or higher than just booking through the hotel directly. Usually it's the same but then you don't pay the fees that you do with Expedia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I stay in hotels between 200 and 280 days a year and whenever I check any of those travel sites the price is the same or higher than just booking through the hotel directly. Usually it's the same but then you don't pay the fees that you do with Expedia.
Yup, it’s definitely a great search engine for hotels.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

Whether or not he did it knowingly really doesn't matter to me. Maybe, people should be happy he brought a severe flaw to the attention of the company, and anyone using the site. Who knows, there could be thousands of these kinds of charges on smaller levels that many people might have been paying unknowingly.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Not to excuse Expedia for not notifying you, but wouldn't it be common sense to check your flight before leaving for the airport? Even if it was booked through the airline?
We did, and got an error when trying to check in for the flight so had to check in at the airport. I assumed this was because of a glitch and didn't think much of it since it's happened in the past and have checked in fine at the airport before the flight, but in hindsight I guess I should have manually searched to see if the flight had been scheduled for that day
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I booked through United few weeks ago and same thing happened. It was fully United’s fault not my booking agency.

United sent me a flight delay notice at 2AM for a 10AM flight. Then at 6AM put me on another airline in another terminal that left 90 mins earlier. On top of it they didn’t tell me they rebooked me, I just found out through logging in and noticing I was goin to Toronto not Chicago on AC not United.

When I asked them at check in I got a arrogant “we you should know that we can do that”

Not disputing your experience but NA airlines for most part are cattle cars and we are treated as such.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I refuse to use Expedia or any of those OTA’s any more. Had an issue with flights once and the airline wouldn’t help me at all - told me it was booked with Expedia and that I had to take it up with them. Expedia was next to useless and I basically had to work it all out on my own.

Since then I always book direct with the hotel or airline as it’s so much easier to resolve problems if they arise vs using an OTA. I do use the OTA websites to check out hotels and flights for comparatives though, just book direct once I find what I want.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess I'll be the exception.

I've had nothing but a plethora of great experiences using Expedia including just last week when my one kid was on her way to Mexico her travelling companion was detained by security and they missed their flight and Expedia was excellent at helping them get on to another flight.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote