Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #901
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/05/...iving-to-work/

Chu, Magliocca and Keating voted against the Idaho stop proposal with Magliocca wanting to re-institute a bike licence program.. SMH. They're also up in arms about hiring a cycling coordinator because they make more than councillors.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...ripDistance=16

My trip cost is $0.32 vs $40 cycling vs driving. No brainer for me.
Plus Deerfoot and Glenmore are a travesty in traffic.
Thanks for sharing the survey - too bad it doesn't allow for a time input for the commute. I've got 1.5 years of strava data that shows I'm around 90 minutes round trip vs their 146 minutes. Big difference that would possibly deter me from even attempting the commute from my neighborhood if starting from scratch (no bike).
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #902
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chu, Magliocca and Keating voted against the Idaho stop proposal with Magliocca wanting to re-institute a bike licence program.. SMH. They're also up in arms about hiring a cycling coordinator because they make more than councillors.
They're idiots and I don't even cycle. It's a no brainer to at least look at it provided it applies to stop signs only and not red lights.

Yikes, my cost is $0.54 to cycle vs. $67.50 to drive.
27km
Wish I could find a way to cycle at least part of the distance, I probably could if I wanted to badly enough I suppose. The calculated drive time is remarkably accurate to what I spend each day. If the cycle time is also accurate that would eat up a huge chunk of my day, it would be tough to spend 3.5 hours each day on the bike.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #903
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
They're idiots and I don't even cycle. It's a no brainer to at least look at it provided it applies to stop signs only and not red lights.

Yikes, my cost is $0.54 to cycle vs. $67.50 to drive.
27km
Wish I could find a way to cycle at least part of the distance, I probably could if I wanted to badly enough I suppose. The calculated drive time is remarkably accurate to what I spend each day. If the cycle time is also accurate that would eat up a huge chunk of my day, it would be tough to spend 3.5 hours each day on the bike.
Looks like they're running a flat 16km/h for the time to cycle. Which I'd be surprised if anyone considering bike commuting wouldn't be able to beat. Yes the pathways are officially 20km/h but I suspect most people are capable of good judgment there. I'm typically around 26km/h on my way to work, and 28km/h on the way home.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #904
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck I don't even average as low as 16km/h winter riding, usually in the 18-21 range.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #905
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So transit factors in the purchase price of the bus, driving the purchase price of the car, but cycling doesn't factor in the cost of buying and maintaining the bike.

I did the math recently; and after 2 years of commuting a lot by bike I am still over the cost of a bus ticket per trip. Not saying I'll stop cycling, but the numbers should be comparable.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #906
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If the cycle time is also accurate that would eat up a huge chunk of my day, it would be tough to spend 3.5 hours each day on the bike.
It's doing an average 16 km/hour speed for biking. That might be accurate for some people depending on fitness level and especially on bike route (distance, lights, stop signs, hills, safe speeds, wind etc) but even as someone who gets routinely passed on the bike path, 20 km/hour is pretty slow for me (again on a nice bike path). Will work up a sweat, but won't be dieing at that speed.

Again, depending on your fitness level and a ton of other factors, it's probably closer to 1:15 than it is to 1:45 each way. Still a ways.

EDIT: And looks like I was beat to the response by redflamesfan08

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-24-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #907
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/05/...iving-to-work/

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...ripDistance=16

My trip cost is $0.32 vs $40 cycling vs driving. No brainer for me.
Plus Deerfoot and Glenmore are a travesty in traffic.
But all cyclists will be running all stop signs into traffic and creating mass hysteria!!

Morons.

0.31 to cycle vs $39.00 to drive!!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #908
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So transit factors in the purchase price of the bus, driving the purchase price of the car, but cycling doesn't factor in the cost of buying and maintaining the bike.

I did the math recently; and after 2 years of commuting a lot by bike I am still over the cost of a bus ticket per trip. Not saying I'll stop cycling, but the numbers should be comparable.
https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...st-details.pdf

I don't see any purchase costs, just maintenance. I figure I'm about $200-300 a year including clothing, which is way cheaper than the $1200 bus pass. And if you want to be cheeky and add in the savings of not buying a gym membership...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #909
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't really agree with the cost of taking transit numbers. It's a fixed cost for the user, no matter what, and what isn't included in the actual transit pass / ticket fees is shared by everybody regardless of whether they are biking, walking, driving.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #910
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

There's no easy calculation. There are just too many variables.

Even the cyclists who say they're saving so much money seem to only calculate their best years on the bikes. They ignore the years they need new a bottom bracket or a dozen new tubes. They're also ignoring the insurance/registration they have on a car they don't drive often but still have because they need it for things they can't do on a bike.

I love the sentiment of the calculator but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

All sides are as bad underestimating their actual costs. Almost as bad as people who live in Airdrie calculating their drive time to downtown Calgary.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #911
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm tracking my km's and costs on my bikes and my vehicle this year. Funny enough this is the year I've finally done some major work on my old winter bike like the bottom bracket. Current costs are $820.16 for the bikes and $3107.39 for my car (including full year insurance cost already).

Bike Costs Breakdown:
-New winter tires
-Strava membership
-Winter bike Mx (first big fix, about 6000km on it)
-Summer bike tune up

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #912
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Its a very odd methodology IMO.

Not to mention it claims to take 25 minutes longer than it takes for me to walk out of my garage and get to my desk downtown, driving.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #913
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems either initial purchase is included for both cars and bikes, or for neither (the way it's listed as 'purchases' seems a little odd). Massive variability in purchase prices for both cars (especially new vs. used) and to some extent bikes, but maintenance costs probably a bit easier to average regardless of vehicle value.

I'm more curious about the walking earning higher 'health' savings than cycling? Same cost to individual as public? It would seem that the health benefits to the individual from cycling are likely more valuable (hard to quantify financially)...probably comes closer to a wash societally (presumably higher incidence of injury from cycling, though healthier hearts and lungs...)

Then again, if they're going with a 16kph bike speed, perhaps it's somewhat equivalent physiologically to brisk walking...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #914
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think walking 5km takes more energy than biking 5km, one takes 15 minutes, the other 45-60.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #915
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Late to bell placement discussion. But I also run it on the left because, well, I don’t have a front brake. My commuter is a 36:21 SS. I don’t get going fast enough to ever have an issue.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #916
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Saw a guy earlier today just blow through a red light at 64th and 4th NE, in what looks like an attempt to get KOM on Strava (based on the flyby).
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #917
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wow. Saw a guy earlier today just blow through a red light at 64th and 4th NE, in what looks like an attempt to get KOM on Strava (based on the flyby).
Idiot, nobody cares about your KOM when you're dead.

Disclaimer: I don't care about your segment times or KOM's anyways.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #918
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Idiot, nobody cares about your KOM when you're dead.

Disclaimer: I don't care about your segment times or KOM's anyways.

The only person I’m competing with is myself. How many km’s is all I care about.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #919
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I would be great if you could flag dangerous segments with Strava to get them removed. Public segments that go through lights or stop signs. Dangerous downhill segments on paths can be a problem too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #920
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I would be great if you could flag dangerous segments with Strava to get them removed. Public segments that go through lights or stop signs. Dangerous downhill segments on paths can be a problem too.

You can flag segments online. For example, there’s a segment running between Barlow and Lynnview that was marked as hidden because of the construction after the flood.

Edit:

Spoiler!

Last edited by kermitology; 05-25-2019 at 07:50 AM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kermitology For This Useful Post: