Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #5561
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with these complaints.

Most people don't have an actual problem with Dany's turn or Arya killing the Night King.
It's just that the writing that made these things happen was so poor. They tried so hard to make it unpredictable that they ultimately just made it nonsensical.

I thought the plot armor problem started in season 7 when they went beyond the wall to get a wight (and this entire premise was stupid).
In the most recent episode, there was no suspense in watching Arya escape from the fire. We all knew she wasn't going to die.

This season was kind of doomed before it even started. There just weren't enough episodes to get it all done well. This is D & D's fault, because HBO offered them more episodes and money to get more done. They rejected the offer because they wanted to work on other things.

I'm scared of what they're going to do to Star Wars. That franchise has already taken enough of a hit.

The point of the shot following Arya was not that she was going to die, it was to show the horror on the ground. It is easier to have the viewer invested and impacted when following a character, as compared to just a smorgasbord of shots.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #5562
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Hey i'm not blaming the bars for showing it. I'm blaming the idiots who are going to watch a tv show there.

Some people lack that one idiot friend who inexplicably continues to pay for cable so they have to watch somewhere if they want something more than a 300MB pirated stream.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #5563
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seeing the finale in theatre. Limited/single screening, ticket pickup was in person with a max of 2 per person. Going to have to go early since seats aren't reserved either.

I'm stoked to get to see the end on the big screen though. Never got to experience it when they did it for previous seasons.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #5564
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The point of the shot following Arya was not that she was going to die, it was to show the horror on the ground. It is easier to have the viewer invested and impacted when following a character, as compared to just a smorgasbord of shots.
Same with the mother/daughter she interacted with - they were the human face of the population
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #5565
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

I actually felt that it was fairly effective to have that first person view from a main character of the destruction of Kings Landing. Just like the viewpoint of Jon Snow as his army descended into madness and blood lust.

It wasn't just Daeny's that flipped the nut. It was Grey Worm, the unsullied, the rest of her army that became brutal slaughterers.

The first person view of the chaos to me was effective.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #5566
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I was good with how cersei and Jaime went. Ramsay and Joffrey weren't tortured to death by the 'good guys' for our satisfaction either. That's not the point of the show. I don't understand why any one would have that expectation when the show has never aimed to please us in that way. That would've been purely fan service and I'm glad they didn't do that. I thought there was emotional weight there and it didn't undo their character arcs or anything ridiculous like that. Jaime backslid though, yes, like human beings tend to do.

I've found 4 of the 5 episodes to be thrilling entertainment up to the standard hoped for, with the asterisk beside it that they had 6 episodes to wrap it all. Upon reflection it was episode 4 that mostly dropped the ball by cutting short the godswood scene, the bronn highgarden thing, the useless pre battle negotiation attempt, Euron overlooking tyrions remark about the baby, and a generally poor transition from north to south. They had to move the pieces across the board in one episode though so it wasnt going to be particularly smooth. Honestly the rest I was thoroughly entertained by from both standpoints of drama and action, and I'm a little surprised some people thought it would go down in such a different way. Eps three and five had me more engaged and emotionally affected than any previous episodes to that point. That's an accomplishment to me. Because what I'm looking for in watching is to be surprised and affected in ways I didn't expect. Not to see the details of it play out exactly as I think they "should".

So yeah, this is the other side of the fence, from a big fan since the airing of season one. One of many varying opinions I'm sure.
I have no issue with the direction the show is going. I think it was pretty obvious what was happening.

I have a serious issue that they didn't use 4 more episodes to properly get there. It just reeks of lazy BS, and something that even HBO found frustrating and they are the ones paying the bills.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #5567
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I actually felt that it was fairly effective to have that first person view from a main character of the destruction of Kings Landing. Just like the viewpoint of Jon Snow as his army descended into madness and blood lust.

It wasn't just Daeny's that flipped the nut. It was Grey Worm, the unsullied, the rest of her army that became brutal slaughterers.

The first person view of the chaos to me was effective.

Just watched that scene again and it was mostly Northerners standing right behind Grey Worm and Jon and they attacked with gusto. That actually makes more sense than the Unsullied or Dothraki since they’ve been at war with the Lannisters for many years by now. They were Jon’s army not really hers
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #5568
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Skip to the 37 second mark
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #5569
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Please stick the landing!!
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 AM   #5570
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is it. The last ever Game of Thrones episode tonight. Who knows when we'll see more stuff set in this universe, other than to know we certainly will at some point. But for this iteration, we're at the end.

Wild ass guess (because who knows what might play out tonight): Dany dies at Arya's hands, but not before she executes Tyrion and Jon. The show ends with the seven kingdoms splintered once more, with Sansa ruling the north.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #5571
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild ass guess: it will be even worse written than the last one.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #5572
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Wild ass guess: it will be even worse written than the last one.
Wild ass guess: Everyone who has complained about this season will watch tonight’s episode.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #5573
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Wild ass guess: Everyone who has complained about this season will watch tonight’s episode.

And complain about it no matter what
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #5574
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Well this is it. The last ever Game of Thrones episode tonight. Who knows when we'll see more stuff set in this universe, other than to know we certainly will at some point. But for this iteration, we're at the end.

Wild ass guess (because who knows what might play out tonight): Dany dies at Arya's hands, but not before she executes Tyrion and Jon. The show ends with the seven kingdoms splintered once more, with Sansa ruling the north.
Wild ass guess: Dany tries to execute Tyrion and/or Jon via dragon fire. They survive and all hell breaks loose.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #5575
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Wild ass guess: Dany tries to execute Tyrion and/or Jon via dragon fire. They survive and all hell breaks loose.
But because we only have 90 min of screen time the entire storyline will be rushed like crazy just to get to the end.

Sounds about right.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #5576
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Arya leaves, Jon runs through Daeny's with his sword after she has Tryion executed. The Dragon in its grief melts the Iron Throne, and leaves with Daeny's body.

Realizing that the Dragon is onto something the Drothraki form the first ever communist party and execute all the remaining claimants to the Throne and install a council of the wisest of the Drothraki and purge the rest of Daen'y's army. Jon Snow agree's to give up his last name is named commissar of the North and sent to kill Sansa.

Meanwhile in the Lannister's former depleted gold mines, a miner finds a glowy metal. We get a super fast forward to the development of the Drogan super atomic bomb.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #5577
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooo, what if Drogon destroys the Iron Throne??
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #5578
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
And complain about it no matter what
But not to themselves, they must go online and let everyone know the outrage they feel, multiple times over the course of the next week.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #5579
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Oh god. The level of drama in here feels more like Riverdale than GoT.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #5580
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon challenges Dany about her slaughter of Kings landing.
Grey Worm attempts to kill Jon, Jon wins but is wounded.
Dany orders Drogon to burn Jon, Drogon refuses sensing Jon's true lineage then flies away.
Dany goes from 9/10 to 15/10 on the nutball scale and Tyrion kills her as she attempts to kill an injured and unarmed Jon. Fitting that the King slayer's brother slays the daughter of the same King who has also gone mad.

Jon reluctantly takes the throne, has the loyalty of all 7 kingdoms, including the north of which Sansa is the warden. Tyrion becomes the hand of the new king.

Arya remains a roving assassin, loyal to the king.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote