Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #461
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

You won't see more open spots during the working week, you'll see fewer. Those Car2Go cars were available to be used by anyone who had an account, hence they tended to have much, much quicker turnover than a private car.
Yup, but for those users without a car, they will be diverted to transit, or Uber.
Thus, more parking in those instances.

Curious of the Car2go DT commuters, what personal car ownership % looked like.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #462
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Yup, but for those users without a car, they will be diverted to transit, or Uber.
Thus, more parking in those instances.
Well... No. You're assuming that those spots won't be taken by other people with cars, who will not move their cars as often as the car2gos get moved around.

It'll probably be the case that there will be more available spaces in Calgary City lots, because those are in lower demand, but not so for street parking.
Quote:
Curious of the Car2go DT commuters, what personal car ownership % looked like.
Pretty high among the people in my office who use it. Honestly, it's not all THAT cheap, so most of the non-car owners ride transit.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #463
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the geographical restrictions, not a surprise. It was Marda Loopers at the edge of the area, (my old boss was one of them) that instead of taking a fairly straightforward 10 min bus into Dt, they often took a C2g. Anywhere C2g serviced, it was basically replacing a very simple transit route. In the Beltline, people could walk to work as well and not need a C2g except on poor weather days.

The turnover Ina city like Vancouver where you had people going to shop on Robson, go to Granville Island or Stanley Park, had 3x or 4x turnover per day then the 7 hours most sat in Dt Calgary between 8 and 3pm. And other cities have a downtown that people travel to and around on weekends, not here so much. And all the people that I knew that had C2g account had their own car for weekends, it really was an alternative to a short bus ride.

Only reason Toronto got dropped was the high fees they were getting charged by the city, and I suspect a strong taxi commission is behind that.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:51 AM   #464
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sure if you totally ignore every other city they have been in for much longer already.
How many lime bikes did you see being ridden around last year when it was 30 below and there was two feet of snow piled up on the curbs? Why would scooters make the prospect of that kind of ride any more appealing?

Furthermore, where are the hard stats of 'every other city' they've been in? What relevance do they even have when most of their locations have mild-to-nonexistent winters?
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #465
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree zoning was an issue. I would have gladly kept an account but I'm just outside the zone so it was too limiting

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #466
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Disagree, people with private cars don't usually use short term street parking to park all day. Street parking is about $5/hr in the core, you're better off parking in a lot if you're there all day.
It seems you disagree with me because you perceived the Car2go Smart cars were stationary the whole day:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
The car would typically sit in the same spot all day until someone would take it back out of downtown around 3 or 4pm. There's no way they were making money on that.
I don't know about recently but this is what I saw when they first came out. Rows of Smartcars that sucked up all of the street parking all day. I used to joke they were like Agent Smith, they just keep multiplying and taking over everything.

In my experience the turnover downtown was significant; maybe you just didn't perceive it because the Smart cars looked identical. I used to use Car2go to commute and for running business errands during the day, and usually the car I parked on the street at 8:00 was already gone by the time I needed it again at 8:30. However, it wasn't uncommon to see another Smart car in its place; if you weren't paying close attention you'd think it was only one car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Given the geographical restrictions, not a surprise. It was Marda Loopers at the edge of the area, (my old boss was one of them) that instead of taking a fairly straightforward 10 min bus into Dt, they often took a C2g. Anywhere C2g serviced, it was basically replacing a very simple transit route. In the Beltline, people could walk to work as well and not need a C2g except on poor weather days.
Not gonna lie: I was one of those people too. I used to take transit downtown (although my trip was not a breezy 10 minutes; it was often >45 minutes including waiting time), and got sick of it. When Car2go started up service I was one of the very early members, and I drove them once or twice per day.

I stopped using the service regularly about 18 months ago as they shifted the make-up of their fleet from the Smart cars to Mercedes-Benz CLA and GLAs. I especially hate the CLAs with a passion (bigger exterior dimensions than you'd think, tiny on the inside, crappy transmission, nigh undriveable if not for the blindspot monitoring system and rear camera), and I was not enthused about paying 40% more for them than the Smarts. Given the price increases (per minute rates went up, $1 new trip fees were added up to a max of $90 per year, then the limit went up to $200 per year...) and the issues I had with availability—often requiring me to walk 20-30 minutes to get a car—I bit the bullet and started driving my own car downtown every day instead. It got to be too much of a pain in the ass to find them and I was spending upwards of $15/day, so at that point I figured I might as well spend about the same on parking and gas for my own car knowing that I'd have the convenience of being able to return to the exact same spot I'd parked it in. I went from using Car2go 300 times a year to about once every other month.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #467
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another day, another lane blocked by an abandoned car during rush hour. Ridiculous they still can't care enough to run their business properly.

It might have been them just giving up as they leave if it wasn't for the fact that I've lost count how many times this happens since their arrival.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #468
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I especially hate the CLAs with a passion
I definitely learned I'd never want to own a CLA or GLA...I kind of chuckle any time I see someone driving one that they own/lease themselves. C2G also dissuaded me from any notion of owning a smart car (though can't say I was ever really considering it)

The GLA was pretty handy a few times - we took one for a full day in Austin to roam the hills west of town...certainly more comfortable than a smart and the process is so much better than getting a rental car even if it costs a bit more for a single day. Was also able to throw my bike in one and drive home last time I got a flat and didn't feel like patching it on the curb.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #469
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems you disagree with me because you perceived the Car2go Smart cars were stationary the whole day:
I disagreed because I think very few people are going to park their private car on the street all day at $5/hr and having to start new parking sessions every 30min - 2hr, they'll park in a lot.

Last edited by Jacks; 10-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #470
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Another day, another lane blocked by an abandoned car during rush hour. Ridiculous they still can't care enough to run their business properly.

It might have been them just giving up as they leave if it wasn't for the fact that I've lost count how many times this happens since their arrival.
Users aren't supposed to park in zones with rush hour parking/stopping restrictions. The ticket and impound fees would be passed on to the person who parked it.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #471
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagreed because I think very few people are going to park their private car on the street all day at $5/hr and having to start new parking sessions every 30min - 2hr, they'll park in a lot.
So what makes you think Car2go cars were left on the street all day?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #472
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what makes you think Car2go cars were left on the street all day?
You said that there will be less parking available because private cars will be parked for long periods. Here's your post.

Quote:
You won't see more open spots during the working week, you'll see fewer. Those Car2Go cars were available to be used by anyone who had an account, hence they tended to have much, much quicker turnover than a private car.
To which I directly replied.
Quote:
Disagree, people with private cars don't usually use short term street parking to park all day. Street parking is about $5/hr in the core, you're better off parking in a lot if you're there all day.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #473
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You said that there will be less parking available because private cars will be parked for long periods.
No, I said the turnover of those on-street spots occupied by Car2go cars was much quicker than private cars. You said:

Quote:
Disagree, people with private cars don't usually use short term street parking to park all day.
So if you weren't implying that Car2go cars "usually use short term street parking to park all day", what point were you trying to make here?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #474
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Another day, another lane blocked by an abandoned car during rush hour.
I fail to see how this is different than any personal cars, or people who are "just stopping to pick up my wife, so my 4 way flashers mean I can be here for 15 minutes"
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #475
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only two days left. Kinda sad to see it go, it was my primary way of getting to the saddledome.

Last edited by DoubleK; 10-29-2019 at 09:00 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #476
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, if I'm in a Car2Go at midnight on November 1, do I get to keep the car?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #477
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if you can find one. The number available is a tiny fraction for the last week.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #478
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Maybe if you can find one. The number available is a tiny fraction for the last week.
I only count 15 available right now.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #479
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
So, if I'm in a Car2Go at midnight on November 1, do I get to keep the car?
Yep just take it home!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #480
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yep just take it home!

Its like musical chairs, with smart cars. The winner keeps the car