Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #301
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I have a Fossil
Yeah, my wife is old, too. On my wrist is a beautiful Seiko in silver and gold.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #302
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
Depends on the brand.

Generally speaking, a $20 watch has no swiss components and is made with a cheap Japanese movements. I have seen $20 watches sold broken.

If you, lets say, buy a Tag Heuer or a Rolex or Movado, the quality is much better. Often, there will be a screw-down crown, and a screw in back. These ensure better water resistancy. You notice the quality as well. A well-made watch creates less draw on the battery and the battery generally lasts for a longer time period. However, as the watch gets old, more energy is required to run the watch since gears wear down. dirt and grime also accumulate, causing a need for more energy.
You would be surprised. A $60 g-shock casio watch will only have a deviation of +/- 1 second on an given day whereas COSC certified Swiss mechanical movements only meet a -4/+6 second/day standard (see Breitling, TAG, Rolex, Panerai). Granted 4-6 seconds over a period of ~86400 seconds is peanuts.

Quartz have a huge advantage over mechanical watches in terms of durability and accuracy simply because there are little to no moving parts. For most mechanical watches (unless you can afford a watch with a tourbillon in it) the simple orientation of how you lay your mechanical watch down when you go to bed can swing the accuracy off by a few seconds.

And since this post reminded me of tourbillons:

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #303
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Looking for a leather strap and with a simple face, preferably white/brown. Looked at Longines and was looking at the Nomos as well. They're pretty sweet, and having the clear back to see the insides of the watch is nice.
The Nomos are definitely very nice watches, and a pretty good deal considering they are in-house movements. I've considered them before, but I think I've made up my mind to go something more like the Omega Devilles (now I just need to start saving up!). The 3 here are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and you might too.

Quote:
Are the Seiko's Sarb under another name? Can't find it on the Seiko website.
Don't bother looking, the Sarb lines is for the domestic Japanese market, so they don't sell them here. You have to buy them online at a place like Seiya (http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=ouxhcrQY..._quartz_etc_/). I'm not sure why Seiko doesn't sell some of their best models here, but we seem to get mostly the lower end stuff. If you like that style, also check out the Spirit line, as it's somewhat similar.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #304
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear this, but with a black band.

Bunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #305
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm getting married this summer and wanting to get my best man a watch. He's pretty outdoorsy and I want to get something equally classy and outdoorsy, if that makes any sense at all.

My budget would be between $200 and $250 - any suggestions?
I was actually going to suggest getting a Victorinox or Wenger, which Bunk just posted. They seem to be fairly respected brands at that price range and have an outdorsy/tool watch feeling. Or would he prefer more of a dive watch?

If you want to swing for more of a military look, Luminox and Suunto might be up your alley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #306
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Inspired by this thread I decided to get a new watch.

It came down to these two watches:

and this one:

Then I found out the first watch was a Lady's watch so I bought this!:

Last edited by Lego Man; 03-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #307
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sad news for this thread, I came in from the cold the other day and my Breitling fogged up on the inside. I am flat broke right now so it will have to sit for a while. I am now relegated to checking my phone for the time.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #308
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Sad news for this thread, I came in from the cold the other day and my Breitling fogged up on the inside. I am flat broke right now so it will have to sit for a while. I am now relegated to checking my phone for the time.
Put the Breitling in a bag of rice for a week.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #309
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the rice thing work? Haven't heard of that.

Too bad about the Breitling, sounds like some of the seals are loose/old. Maybe don't take it on the regatta this weekend.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #310
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was going to do the rice thing, but I just retired it till I can afford the maintenance. Great idea for sure. As for the regatta, I am a flyer not a sailor.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #311
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, not sure why Breitlings always make me thing of sailing instead.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #312
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like many people here have nice watches.

Where do you take your waterproof watches to have the battery changed? The last time I had it changed, they also replaced the gaskets, and performed a leak test but it was pricey
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #313
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked this up yesterday. My dad really liked it so I gave it to him.

bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #314
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
looks like many people here have nice watches.

Where do you take your waterproof watches to have the battery changed? The last time I had it changed, they also replaced the gaskets, and performed a leak test but it was pricey
You don't need to go to a special place to have the gasket replaced or leak tested. You can do it yourself quite easily but you might want an experienced watch guy with the right tools if you need to pry off the back.

You can buy your own gaskets and add a little silicone grease to them and most of the time they will be fine.

That said, if you are paying hundreds to thousands for a watch, perhaps it is better to let a professional do it. Don't goto a guy in a mall :P
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #315
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This came in yesterday from Japan

Love the orange and also the hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #316
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very nice! I was looking at those before I got my Samurai.

How long did it take to ship from Seiya?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #317
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
Depends on the brand.

Generally speaking, a $20 watch has no swiss components and is made with a cheap Japanese movements. I have seen $20 watches sold broken.

If you, lets say, buy a Tag Heuer or a Rolex or Movado, the quality is much better. Often, there will be a screw-down crown, and a screw in back. These ensure better water resistancy. You notice the quality as well. A well-made watch creates less draw on the battery and the battery generally lasts for a longer time period. However, as the watch gets old, more energy is required to run the watch since gears wear down. dirt and grime also accumulate, causing a need for more energy.
The use of a crystal oscillator and logic in even the cheapest Chinese quartz movement will be at least an order of magnitude more accurate in keeping time than some of the best Swiss made mechanical watches.

You don't buy a mechanical watch for perfect accuracy though, of course. You buy it for prestige, for luxury, for battery-less operation, for interest, for fun, etc.

There are knockoffs of all the best Swiss brands, many using the same movements or Japanese movements but incorporating all the same features in design and construction and they are just as good. Bear in mind, these are knockoffs that will cost you $200-$500.

Swiss doesn't mean anything in today's age of globalization and CNC technology. Some Swiss firms actually use chinese made movements which are assembled into a watch in Switzerland and sold as Swiss watches.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-28-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #318
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Very nice! I was looking at those before I got my Samurai.

How long did it take to ship from Seiya?
Ordered it on the 16th, but they're closed weekends. So the order was processed and shipped on the 18th. Received yesterday, so 7 business days? to account for good friday and easter monday.

I did order the Hour Vision Omega. Been waiting patiently for it...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #319
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought this Swatch Black 'N Red when I was on vacation. I wanted a black watch and I wanted it to be light (it's made of aluminium) because I get annoyed with heavy jewelery. So far I love it, I've never owned a Swatch branded watch before, my only experience with that group was my Tissot. Not sure about Swatch quality but it's probably not garbage since it's Swiss made and that group makes a large number of fine watches.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #320
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ordered it on the 16th, but they're closed weekends. So the order was processed and shipped on the 18th. Received yesterday, so 7 business days? to account for good friday and easter monday.

I did order the Hour Vision Omega. Been waiting patiently for it...
Nice, can't wait to see the Hour Vision. Is it the new model they just released?