Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost 30 years living in Calgary; never knew there was a tunnel over there...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't there another one that went from the same corner of Chinook and went south under Glenmore before they redid it? Or maybe this is the one and I'm remembering the direction wrong.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #23
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
There's a better crack tunnel? Cool. Where is it? I love doing crack in tunnels.
It's under the Westbrook C-Train station
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Wasn't there another one that went from the same corner of Chinook and went south under Glenmore before they redid it? Or maybe this is the one and I'm remembering the direction wrong.
No, there was never a tunnel under Glenmore there. There is a walkway under Glenmore through the C-Train tunnel east of Macleod.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favourite crack tunnel is the one going west from Shaw millenium. Last time I was in there there was no people but piles and piles of soiled clothing. It was like the homeless molted into their summer bodies.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Disappointing video.
I would loved to have had that video that time I got lost in the crack tunnel.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #27
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was homeless I would totally be getting my hands on some tools to get past the concrete blocks and turn it into my sweet sweet secure home.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes you wonder how many more hidden tunnel treasures there are in Calgary.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd say the tunnel to your mom's house but it's not exactly hidden.

Yes, I'm that juvenile.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in the early 80s the Tradewinds Hotel was on that east side corner, and the Kal Tire was a Sears Tire and repair shop, and may have been something else too as I thought the original Sears auto service was where the Shell further north, at the time the hotel was there.

Anyways, I assume this tunnel was built for the hotel patrons to get to Chinook easier, as there wouldn't be any residential near there when they was built, nor is there now.

I don't think there was much else on that side while the hotel was there, which was long before the Home Depot. The Tradewinds apparently also have a tavern which was a bit rough, so likely didn't need patrons trying to cross Macleod either.

Really surprised it wasn't closed earlier given that it really didn't have a purpose for the past couple decades.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When the Tradewinds was there, to the north of it were the car dealerships. The VW place that moved north on Macleod; Calgary Honda, Courtesy Chrysler and Maclin Ford which all moved to the Auto Mall.

And yes, the tavern was kinda rough but still fun. Better than the T & C was.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #32
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It makes you wonder how many more hidden tunnel treasures there are in Calgary.
There are/were some super sweet tunnels around the U of C. They closed some of them after my first year in '91. You used to be able to go from the lower bowels of the Engineering building into the parkade under MacEwan Hall. And some other ones were closed at the same time that connected various buildings around the university.

We called them the Minus15 tunnels. Get it? Like Plus15s downtown, but they were Minus15s because they were underground! Yeah, engineers aren't good at humour...

They had lots of pipes etc in them and I think the University closed them because of some vandalism or something. Or at least that was the rumour at the time.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
There are/were some super sweet tunnels around the U of C. They closed some of them after my first year in '91. You used to be able to go from the lower bowels of the Engineering building into the parkade under MacEwan Hall. And some other ones were closed at the same time that connected various buildings around the university.

We called them the Minus15 tunnels. Get it? Like Plus15s downtown, but they were Minus15s because they were underground! Yeah, engineers aren't good at humour...

They had lots of pipes etc in them and I think the University closed them because of some vandalism or something. Or at least that was the rumour at the time.
Really? During my time at The UofC you could get pretty much anywhere underground, I dont remember any being closed but the Engineering building is a complete mystery. Its like that movie 'Cube' every room is something different all the time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
When the Tradewinds was there, to the north of it were the car dealerships. The VW place that moved north on Macleod; Calgary Honda, Courtesy Chrysler and Maclin Ford which all moved to the Auto Mall.

And yes, the tavern was kinda rough but still fun. Better than the T & C was.
I thought Maclin was to the south of the Tradewinds?

Circa 1987, courtesy of the Glenbow, a shot of the area. Chi Chis there too!
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #35
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nope. It is was on the corner of Mac and 61st Ave.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #36
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Really? During my time at The UofC you could get pretty much anywhere underground, I dont remember any being closed but the Engineering building is a complete mystery. Its like that movie 'Cube' every room is something different all the time.
Maybe it was only the ones that went to the Engineering building that they closed? Or maybe they reopened some later? I was only at U of C for 2 years. I just know in my second year I actually had to go outside to get to Taco Time at Mac hall.

Love the Cube reference BTW, and yeah, that building is so weird. Even after 2 years of classes exclusively in that building there were still areas that I didn't know how to get to.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tradewinds was on the corner of Macleod and Glenmore, where the A&W and Marks are now. Maclin was on the corner of 61st and Macleod. I believe Courtesy Chrysler was in between them (and possibly another dealership).
Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #38
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were/are a lot of tunnels that are closed at UofC. Some in the old Eng building, one at Earth Sciences and some over in the social sciences (I believe there is a big one that goes from the library block under the green space/courtyard over to Social Science. I was always told they were closed because of attacks and sexual assaults.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Maybe it was only the ones that went to the Engineering building that they closed? Or maybe they reopened some later? I was only at U of C for 2 years. I just know in my second year I actually had to go outside to get to Taco Time at Mac hall.

Love the Cube reference BTW, and yeah, that building is so weird. Even after 2 years of classes exclusively in that building there were still areas that I didn't know how to get to.
As a Business Student I didnt spend much time in the Engineering building, at least not without a Hazmat suit and a weapon to defend myself but that place was like an M.C. Escher painting.

I remember watching Harry Potter with my daughter when all the staircases move and saying "Hogwarts is amateur hour compared to the U of C's Engineering Department."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a Business Student I didnt spend much time in the Engineering building, at least not without a Hazmat suit and a weapon to defend myself but that place was like an M.C. Escher painting.

I remember watching Harry Potter with my daughter when all the staircases move and saying "Hogwarts is amateur hour compared to the U of C's Engineering Department."
That building was a travesty of, well, engineering. That weird stair thing, the doorway 10 feet up, the basement, the fact that Engineering E168(or whatever) was not in the E block, but the A block, or something? I dunno, it was all messed up.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: