Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #1261
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw today that the last numbers that came out, United were last in the league at spending percentage based on their revenue at 44%

Even outside the PL, Barca is at 97%

Criticizing their spending or wages is hilarious, they are probably right there with Arsenal and Spurs in terms of spending within their means compared to the rest of the big clubs, the fact that they earn more money than anyone else shouldn't be a negative
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1262
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

also you have to consider that many of those "omg look at the Sanchez wages wow" articles are coming from journalists who are close to other teams. Take the Telegraph article for example, that one's from Matt Law - who is known to be extremely close to Chelsea and who was incredibly butthurt in the summer when Lukaku went to United instead of Chelsea. City are also busy putting their spin out there.

Bottom line is that United are swapping Mkhitaryan for Sanchez in a straight deal without any transfer fees. That's outstanding business, and the saltiness coming from other teams and journalists makes it only sweeter. The only way that this week can become any better is when the De Gea rumours of an imminent contract extension become reality.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #1263
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
also you have to consider that many of those "omg look at the Sanchez wages wow" articles are coming from journalists who are close to other teams. Take the Telegraph article for example, that one's from Matt Law - who is known to be extremely close to Chelsea and who was incredibly butthurt in the summer when Lukaku went to United instead of Chelsea. City are also busy putting their spin out there.

Bottom line is that United are swapping Mkhitaryan for Sanchez in a straight deal without any transfer fees. That's outstanding business, and the saltiness coming from other teams and journalists makes it only sweeter. The only way that this week can become any better is when the De Gea rumours of an imminent contract extension become reality.
I'm not salty at all, and frankly I'm thrilled to see Sanchez leaving. Sure, he has his issues, but he was the best player they had!

And it's not a question of whether they can afford it, or how much money they make (which is a slippery slope when the other Manchester club manages to get advertising revenue to make sure that the numbers work). It's a huge wage. It will definitely increase expectations of players and agents alike in future dealings.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #1264
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it is if you take the 500k/week as gospel ... which you shouldn't. Like I said, there's certainly motivation among certain clubs right now to paint Sanchez as a greedy mercenary and United as crazy for paying a lot of money.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #1265
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Just because theres no transfer fees doesnt make it 'outstanding business' from any side other than Sanchez's.

Obviously, despite his lack of transfer fee, his wages are going to effect the structure at the club and in some capacity set a precedent for the League, as all wage negotiations and transfers do.

Hes going to be one of the top-paid players in the world. Is he worth it? I have my doubts but only time will tell.

Honestly though, I would want a player paid that much to be someone absolutely world class, for those wages his name should be spoken in the same breath as Ronaldo and Messi. Is he? I dont think so, at least not at the moment.

Maybe he'll figure it out, but at 29 his resume doesnt mirror theirs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #1266
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sanchez is definitely being overpaid, but in today's market you'll be overpaying either in the fee or the wages. This just underscores what exceptional value guys like Salah and Jesus are costing under £35 million. At this point De Bruyne for £55 million even looks like a steal. Right now they probably wouldn't take less than £175 million if someone else wanted him.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #1267
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sanchez is definitely being overpaid, but in today's market you'll be overpaying either in the fee or the wages. This just underscores what exceptional value guys like Salah and Jesus are costing under £35 million. At this point De Bruyne for £55 million even looks like a steal. Right now they probably wouldn't take less than £175 million if someone else wanted him.
See, I try and do this as often as a I can but I have a really hard time.

From an NHL perspective this kind of thing is supremely important, but from a footy perspective its much, much less so. It becomes important from a 'Team Wage Structure' perspective and then it cascades down a bit from there.

But as a fan from afar it isnt my money. I balked at the Salah fee, I was stunned at the VVD fee, but it isnt my money. All I (should) care about is the team doing well, but then you run into scenarios like we have right now where some teams simply outspend others and buy titles and success.

But in an environment where there are no checks and balances can you as a fan care about the cash?

Its a tough question. I mean, I pay for the TV channels but I dont buy seasons tickets or anything. The personal effect to me of lavish spending is pretty insignificant.

Its frustrating when your rivals outspend you and ergo succeed more but thats just the landscape of the game as it is right now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #1268
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just because theres no transfer fees doesnt make it 'outstanding business' from any side other than Sanchez's.
yes it absolutely is outstanding business from Uniteds point of view. You get an exceptional player who knows the league, isn't cup-tied, is a good fit and who was penciled in as a signing of one of the biggest rivals. He's at a similar age as Mkhitaryan and you get an immediate upgrade without any transfer fee. How is it not outstanding business? Because there's high wages involved and because you have to pay the agent? Well, that's the nature of the transfer market.

Ferguson used to balk at this. He slated agents and complained about "no value in the market", and United paid for it. I love Ferguson as much as any other United fan, maybe more ... but towards the end of his tenure, he failed to come to grips with the new reality of the transfer market, and it led to an old squad in need of a lot of rebuilding. You either dance the dance or watch players sign somewhere else.

Quote:
Obviously, despite his lack of transfer fee, his wages are going to effect the structure at the club
how exactly? Rooney earned a lot. Di Maria earned a lot. Pogba earns a lot. Ibrahimovic earns a lot. But now Sanchez is somehow going to break the wage structure?!? Nope. Mkhitaryan gets off the books and Ibrahimovic is as good as gone too ... this will have a far lesser impact on Uniteds "structure" than opposition fans will like to believe
Old 01-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #1269
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

The Chelsea-Norwich FA Cup match is going to PKs. Chelsea finished with 9 players after two red cards for simulation. VAR didn't save them.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #1270
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Chelsea are on to the fourth round. They took some great penalties.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #1271
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its frustrating when your rivals outspend you and ergo succeed more but thats just the landscape of the game as it is right now.
Poor poor Liverpool. Just spent the best part of 120M on a defender.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #1272
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“I wouldn’t like to comment on the numbers because that’s Manchester United’s problem. I respect Manchester United because they generate the money they pay to the players from their own resources. You have to respect that. After that, it’s down to them to know how much they want to give to the player. Overall, Man United is a club that is very well managed financially and on the pitch as well. That’s why I don’t have any problems with the money they pay.”
Arsene gets it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #1273
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, this is not city or Chelsea of 5-15 years ago spending above their means at a loss

United's are just an easy target ever since Fergie left, and everyone has turned on Jose
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #1274
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very much looking forward to watching Hazard and De Bruyne together this summer for Belgium. Also looking forward to seeing how Roberto Martinez can possibly mess it up.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #1275
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Jesus, Arsenal. Stop, stop, they're already dead!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #1276
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again Newcastle basically not even trying to go forward for the vast majority of the half. Is losing 5-0 really that much worse than losing 2-0?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #1277
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a near disaster for Ederson. Probably should have started pushing City a little earlier.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #1278
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, Watford have sacked Marco Silva and blame Everton for their dip in form. They better appoint somebody so bad that no other team ever calls.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #1279
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible performance from Spurs today. Leaves them outside the top four and likely 5 points out after tomorrow. The conditions were tough and there were questionable decisions going both way by Friend, but really...no shots on goal in the second half is just bad.

If they play like that in the string of games coming up, it's going to be a nightmare.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #1280
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay Liverpool.....worst team in the League....dont Spurs this up...