Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default so how are you doing?

Are you an inny or an outy?
Here you can check for yourselves.
http://cphlsim.com/standings/

Previous history suggests if you are out of the playoffs at this stage of the year you are unlikely to make it in unless you are on the cusp of that spot now.
What does this mean? Well for you newbies it could mean looking to next year. That means taking account of what you have, why you didntmake the playoffs and determing which players you should trade to get better for next year. Is that for picks or players or a combo of both?
If you are in the playoffs, is that enough? Do you want to go all the way? If yes then start looking at what you need to get to the final. Players arent going to magically fall in your lap, you have to do the work...look at rosters, take note of which teams have that magical piece(s) and start making offers.

Wait too long and...long year next year.

Lets check in here and let GMs know you are alive and breathing and your general thoughts on Trump and free trade.

Last edited by Cheese; 01-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharks are 5 points out of the playoffs in the West and wishing we were in the crappy EAST where even an AHL team can make the playoffs there.

We don't expect to make the playoffs and already did what we needed to do to add good assets to start building on for next year with a stud prospect like Casey Mittelstadt developing nicely and sitting on 6 1sts in 2018 (1 guaranteed top 10) and 4 1sts in 2019.

We would sell off some of the remaining veterans we have to teams that are going to make a push and then we'll target free agency to redefine what our team will look like for 2018-19.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Inufie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Were in the playoffs right now and have been on a slump lately. I know I need a top 9 forward and maybe a top 6 defender but don’t have the pieces to fill those roles without losing some key pieces for the future so we might have to stand pat....”sigh”
Inufie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inufie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers are out of it definitely, but I'll be waiting for a bit to see how things shake up before selling
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Well basically I’m looking to do both
I got a strong offence with guys like Tavares, Stepan and Couturier down the middle with Lee, Vrbata, Eberle and Bailey as strong wingers, with a solid top 3 in Klingberg, Spurgeon and Parayko, while also having one of the best goalies in Talbot.

However, we may even be in better shape next season
Tavares, Lee, Bailey and Eberle are all having incredible season with the Isles
Couturier and Karlsson have had incredible seasons
Stepan has been strong on a poor coyotes team
Smith and Abdelkader are having good bounce back seasons
Guys like Dzingel and Calvert are having nice seasons
Bratt (who was this guy prior to the season) and Duclair will step up to the NHL next year
Still got depth in Lindberg, Foligno, Rowney

Klingberg is in contention for the Norris
Parayko and Edmundson are having great years for the Blues
Spurgeon is playing great
Johns, Ouellet and Chiarot will be back

Talbot will need a grid, but Condon and Forsberg are both NHL backups

I have lots of expiring RFAs, so I will be dealing good players around draft time, but for now I’m gonna try and win while keeping good players for next season.

Last edited by savardandjokinen; 01-18-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: forgot someone
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Avs are looking to add.

Highest priority is top 6 winger and #4 d-man. Lots of high end picks/prospects available.

The team has been a bit of a roller coaster. We slide and lose 4 in a row and then win 4 in a row. When we do win lately we have only been giving up less than 15 shots. Schnieder has taken the reins as the starting goalie even though Budaj is rated quite a bit better.

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sens are only 3 points out of the playoffs after having a 7-3-1 run lately but don't count on making it. Sold off some assets already and still looking to move Staal and Dubnyk but haven't had much interest.

Staal is having another good NHL year but is an expiring CPHL contract, can afford to re-sign him so really want something quality back if he gets traded.

Dubnyk is having an okay year and moving a top 10 goalie is always hard to do. Funny enough I had a deal to get Vasilevskiy in the off-season and I was the one who unsure about pulling the trigger, kicking myself over that one now.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coyotes expect to be within the playoffs.

At this point, the goal is to get healthy.

Conditioning related to goal tending is a major challenge.

Which likely means, I really should add...

To lower the amount of Shots Against.
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice thread idea!!

Mid way through the season, and we find ourselves almost where we expected.
We knew, on paper, that our forward group was decent and that our D was lacking a stud. Bishop was great for us last year but his rating dropped and we didn't think Vas would be a true #1 tender. We thought that we'd be in the bottom 3rd of goals against/game and in the top 3rd of goals for and hoped that would keep up competitive. We simply hoped we could pound in more goals than we'd give up and hope that led us to the promised land.

We currently sit 10th overall in goals for. In the range we expected. Until the recent 8 goal hammering the Leafs gave us, we'd been floating around 1st overall for goals against. That's the super surprising part. Vas and Bishop had been great for us until I publically complimented them and the wheels fell off.

We've had a rough stretch, going 4-6-0 in the last 10 and riding a 3 game losing streak. Not super worried about it just yet though.

We made a few moves this year that needed to be done. We're not looking to do anything super crazy, but would be open to adding a higher rated D than what we have. Mostly because Petry is soft as fata and will soon have more games injured than he's played for us.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Devils have been very hit or miss this year. We've had a big winning streak, a big losing streak and then win one lose one, like the NHL Flames this year. Injuries to Stamkos, Byfuglien, Burns among others for long periods have hurt, but most of the league has had injuries this year.

We are on the cusp, I am thinking of selling and then hoping the young guys can make a run, if you want some vets send me a message. Atkinson, Crawford, Byfuglien could go among others.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In my first full season in the control room for the Predators, it's been a predictably tough year. Navigating out of choppy salary cap waters has been difficult but it's allowed me the opportunity to have considerable flexibility next season and beyond.

The team has been circling the bottom of the league for most of the season, save a couple strong win streaks. The goaltending has been decent, but GAA has likely been the team's biggest weakness this season.

Scoring goals hasn't been quite as difficult. As a matter of fact, I am modestly surprised the team has been finding the net as much as they have been. Certainly finding some more gifted offensive players will be a big priority next season.

Veterans like Matt Moulson and Francois Beauchemin are available for contending teams looking to add some depth going into the stretch run.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hurricanes are an anomaly, this is a total rebuild year for the organization. Complete overall from top to bottom all the way to even strategy and shift in direction. After years and years of sucking in Carolina, I came to the concussion that it was the GM that was the problem. I threw away every idea I had on building my team and rewrote a plan and followed it through

End result the team is 19-22 which should be in the top 10 for draft picks in the 2018 Draft. But the kicker is the Hurricanes lead the league in loser points and have a record of 19-11-11 which now places them 10th overall in the league.

Our team is not as strong as our record. Selling our future away without a solid foundation will set back any positives I made in the offseason.

Despite or record and success, the Hurricanes main focus will continue to

- Reshape our team with our offseason plans
- Entry Draft is a key
- Make ECHL roster spots available for draft those dafted players

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 01-18-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Quigz17
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Leafs are amazing at home, terrible on the road. McStarter has been a pleasant surpise for a bargain basement signing, but predictably hurt often.

Not afraid of a bit of youthful goaltending depth. But pretty unfazed to make a move right now.
Quigz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quigz17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #14
Unlucky Puck
Draft Pick

This is a really good idea for thread. The Wings have been interesting. We tend to go a bit streaky sometimes. Since I grabbed the reigns mid season I have been in a process of watching what the team has been doing and thinking of future moves.
I'm open to all trade offers at this point. I'm looking forward to seeing how the standings shape up in the second half of the season.
Unlucky Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unlucky Puck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blues are disappointed to be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs, as we feel we have a more than capable roster to make it.

Right now we will be letting the market dictate hlw we move ibto the deadline as we could either add a solid #2 center or move some pieces for a turnaround run next year
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas has been generally terrible this season. Then we came out of the gates in 2018 with a nice little win streak...probably wait another week or two to see if we can close the playoff gap or if we fall further back.

Team is pretty young right now, so probably not a lot of changes but the expected vets and UFAs will probably be available in the coming weeks.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still another 13 GMs to check in?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #18
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild have had some sustained strong play for some time. Even in recent losses, I'm happy with the shots for and against .So not looking to make material changes. Our win streak came with Wennberg on IR so he can go - but not looking to sell for pennies on the dollar. He's having a poor NHL season with injuries, but trading at a market low doesn't make sense either.

So we may stay pat here for a bit.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m doing great, just acquired Sid the Kid. How bout you?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #20
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Still another 13 GMs to check in?
Is it mandatory?

Buffalo likes where they sit in the standings at the moment.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: