Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #261
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, for fun, Roger and Rafa have played two matches. Roger has played 60 games, Rafa has played 53. Roger has played a total 370 points, Rafa 330 points. The general consensus is Rafa cruised in his matches, while Roger's were slightly more challenging. So you'd look at that and expect time on court to be less for Rafa, maybe slightly more.

Time on court: Rafa 4 hours 12 minutes, Roger 3 hours, 34 minutes. It's too bad Rafa will probably retire before there's a full time shot clock. And this shows just badly one is needed.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #262
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't have a stopwatch on him, but another guy who seems to take forever to put the ball in play is Marin Cilic. There were several times during the Cilic - Pospisil match that I yelled "Hit the friggin ball" on Cilic's serve.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #263
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I turned on the tv this morning to watch one of Roger's patented "gone in 60 seconds" service games. actually it was 53, and it was only that long because he just barely missed an ace at 40-0, otherwise it would have been closer to 40 seconds. the crowd was audibly disappointed that it didn't happen.

this is from a guy in his late 30's with average height, on a slower hard court. he won't catch Karlovic in career aces, but it's definitely the best serve of all time.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #264
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Bouchard with a lot of unforced errors so far. Halep's ankle looks ok she is up 5-2 in first set

Textbook Bouchard with almost twice the unforced errors and still losing the winner battle against her opponent. Suffice to say her assessment of improving and almost being where she wants to be is a complete farce at this point.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

She was playing the #1 so lets put this loss aside.

I just hope she has a good season and begins to regularly beat players below the Top 50? A few quarterfinals and semifinals in small events would be a good foundation. She has no points to defend (really she only has 500 points)

QF Madrid May 6 215 points
and a French Open 2nd round

That's it.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #266
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

I just hope she has a good season and begins to regularly beat players below the Top 50? A few quarterfinals and semifinals in small events would be a good foundation. She has no points to defend (really she only has 500 points)

That's it.
I hope she does as well, but, to hold serve once in an entire match and call the performance close to where you want to be? Just another min boggling comment from someone that is in dire need of a turn-around before all is lost in a once promising career.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #267
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's it.
Good luck with that. She is a pretty, real pretty crappy tennis player. In 16 games she only held serve once i think. Her net play is terrible, her back hand is below average and her forehand is average.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #268
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This can't be right?

https://en.mediamass.net/people/euge...hest-paid.html

In 2015 it looked like the tennis player’s spectacular career was winding down. Suddenly, she was back on top. People With Money reports on Wednesday (January 17) that Bouchard is the highest-paid tennis player in the world, pulling in an astonishing $96 million between December 2016 and December 2017, a nearly $60 million lead over her closest competition.

The Canadian tennis player has an estimated net worth of $275 million. She owes her fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. She also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Bouchard Burger” chain) in Ottawa, a Football Team (the “Westmount Angels”), has launched her own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderbouchard - Canada), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Eugenie) and a fashion line called “Eugenie Bouchard Seduction”.

UPDATE 18/01/2018 : This story seems to be false. (read more)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #269
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This can't be right?

In 2015 it looked like the tennis player’s spectacular career was winding down. Suddenly, she was back on top. People With Money reports on Wednesday (January 17) that Bouchard is the highest-paid tennis player in the world, pulling in an astonishing $96 million between December 2016 and December 2017, a nearly $60 million lead over her closest competition.

The Canadian tennis player has an estimated net worth of $275 million. She owes her fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. She also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Bouchard Burger” chain) in Ottawa, a Football Team (the “Westmount Angels”), has launched her own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderbouchard - Canada), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Eugenie) and a fashion line called “Eugenie Bouchard Seduction”.

Yeah, that site had the fan 960 guys fooled a while back on Raonic's earnings, here's his article:

Quote:
Milos Raonic tops annual list of highest-paid tennis players

In 2015 it looked like the tennis player’s spectacular career was winding down. Suddenly, he was back on top. People With Money reports on Wednesday (January 17) that Raonic is the highest-paid tennis player in the world, pulling in an astonishing $46 million between December 2016 and December 2017, a nearly $20 million lead over his closest competition.

The Canadian tennis player has an estimated net worth of $145 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Raonic Burger” chain) in Ottawa, a Football Team (the “Titograd Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderaonic - Canada), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Milos) and a fashion line called “Milos Raonic Seduction”.

The ranking is significant for many Milos fans, who have been waiting for his triumphant return to the glory days for what seems like a lifetime.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #270
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This can't be right?

You fell for the Fat Bouchard Burger and the football team The Westmount Angels?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #271
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the first set last night and she is a shell of the player she was. Once every two games you saw a shot and some tenacity as she had a few years back. The remaining play was average and then some really terrible unforced errors. After 3-1 you could tell Halep sensed that Genie was defeated and checked out was and basically just took over.

So to hear her comment today on how close she thinks she is, is sad in terms of any hope of her as a competitor on her way back. It may be the positive reinforcement psychology at work, but she was clearly happy with a single win and anything else was going to be gravy.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #272
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The opening matches today on LAVER #124 Kumkhum vs #81 Martic and on MCA #130 Allertova vs #74 Linette

Biggest matches of their lives to get to Round 4 of a grand slam

Old 01-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #273
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dimitrov vs, Rublev should be an intriguing match.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #274
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

wanna feel old? the girl on laver right now is 15 years old! 15!

Born in 2002!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #275
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Born in 2002!
I am the proud father of a daughter also born in 2002, so I'm already old lol.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #276
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:

Born in 2002!
Whoa. Trying to think back to what I was doing at 15.

We are old!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #277
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

baby Fed wins the first set, Rublev wins the second set.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #278
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy double faults Batman!!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #279
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So, for fun, Roger and Rafa have played two matches. Roger has played 60 games, Rafa has played 53. Roger has played a total 370 points, Rafa 330 points. The general consensus is Rafa cruised in his matches, while Roger's were slightly more challenging. So you'd look at that and expect time on court to be less for Rafa, maybe slightly more.

Time on court: Rafa 4 hours 12 minutes, Roger 3 hours, 34 minutes. It's too bad Rafa will probably retire before there's a full time shot clock. And this shows just badly one is needed.
Yes Rafa takes longer between points but if they aren't calling it it's not a violation. Plus his rallies are also longer, he never has a 60 second service game like Fed. Rafa's entire career is built on the fact he's the fittest man on the planet. When you play Rafa you better strap in for a war because he will grind you to dust.

The Rafa and Roger rivalry is probably the best of all time in all sports. I may be too young but I don't remember a time when the two greatest players of all time in a sport constantly went head to head. And not just that but the contrasting styles of play and player. Rafa is a beast and you could replace his tennis racquet with a club. He represents the new generation of athletes. One where off court training is just as important as on court training. Hes got the body of Superman. He is without a doubt the 2nd greatest tennis player of all time.

Roger is a throw back to a simpler time for Tennis and sports. He is so classy and elegant on and off the court. Instead of a racquet he should have a conductors wand. He uses his brain to dissect his opponents and is still the greatest tennis player of all time. Respect the hell out of his , that said I want him and Novak to lose so Rafa can win another Aussie Open.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #280
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Holy double faults Batman!!
The double faults from both players in this match (28 in total!) were probably the most insane thing I've seen in a tennis match in a long while. At one point Dimitrov double faulted three times in a row and still managed to win the game. I guess it's a testament to how hard these guys were attacking second serves all match though.

Entertaining match. Rublev is going to be scary good if he can develop his backhand.