Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #6321
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'd stop at Leoda's and eat way too much pie!
Omg, that place is so good. Do both, it's 100km.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #6322
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Yes, it's usually in March. From the bike show website:

https://www.calgarybikeshow.com

"We're combining with Fitfest to bring more production value, a bike feature and an overall bigger event to Calgary and Edmonton.

This is very big news for the 2018 Calgary and Edmonton Bike Shows. The Bike Shows will now be joining The Great Canadian Fitfest that is taking place at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre on Jan 20/21 2018 and in Edmonton at the Shaw Conference Centre on Feb 10/11 2018. There will be a Bike show area that will have a large bike jump feature and a test track for people to try bikes. I have negotiated discounted pricing for the Bike Show Exhibitors to make a smooth transition."
After looking into it more, i'm super sad about the bike show. I understand the need to combine shows like this because of costs etc. but doesn't look like there will be any talks or anything from a cycling perspective. Last year I got to meet and talk with Ryan Correy and attended a few other workshops over the past couple years which I really enjoyed.

Price of tickets also went from $5 to $19, so yeah...
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #6323
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

OK, one more winter cycling question. I'm looking at going with these tires:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-637/Winter-Tire-700

Any feedback or suggestions? It's still more than I wanted to spend on winter tires, but I'd like to get riding again.

Also anybody else use any non-cycling gear? I'm planning on using my ski helmet, and hockey elbow pads and shoulder pads. (I realize the shoulder pads may be overkill, but a few years ago a friend broke his collar bone.)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #6324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use those tires. They are probably the minimum you want. They won't save you from everything though, you still have to cycle cautiously over rutted ice. I think Bigtime uses a ski helmet, I don't see an issue with it. You will probably find the padding to be annoying. Yes, people get injured, but it's a risk tradeoff I'm willing to take due to the hassle. I go down about once a year. It happens. Learn to fall!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #6325
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

No ski helmet here, I'm wearing my usual Nutcase bike helmet. However I do wear my snow pants, winter boots, winter gloves (Swany toasters), and ski goggles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #6326
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a ski helmet and clear goggles when it is below -10c.

I wear heavy winter boots when it's really cold as well with grippy flat pedals (proper pedals make a HUGE difference) and ski gloves.

As for the tires, I run that tire but in the front only. If you run both front and rear it will really slow you down. To save a bit of cash you could get one studded in the front and use a MTB tire in the back. I have a touring tire on the back right now, and it works fine.

Also, don't overdress. you will create a ton of heat and sweat if you are wearing too much, it will probably take you a while to determine what layers you need, it's surprising the minimal amount of clothing you need on your torso. I could list out all of the gear I use and for what temperature if needed.

Last edited by worth; 01-16-2018 at 10:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #6327
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need the rear studded as well, or I'd be walking up the hills! I still spin out occasionally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #6328
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

never thought of that, guess it depends on route. the hills on my route are not super big and are usually plowed, so I don't have too much of an issue, although I do spin from time to time.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #6329
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I run studs on both tires, with winter biking I'm more about being able to go instead of what my speed will be. I've learned this winter to slow down and enjoy the ride more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #6330
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Yeah, I'd be willing to sacrifice speed for safety. I guess I should have used quotes around "speed"- as I am certainly not fast at all.

I'm also planning several layer options just to be safe. Should still be above 0 when I head out tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #6331
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Above zero you won't need too much clothing. Around that temp I'm running just a shell winter jacket (no lining) over a regular cycling jersey.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #6332
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
After looking into it more, i'm super sad about the bike show. I understand the need to combine shows like this because of costs etc. but doesn't look like there will be any talks or anything from a cycling perspective. Last year I got to meet and talk with Ryan Correy and attended a few other workshops over the past couple years which I really enjoyed.

I feel the same way. I get why they did it but I just want a bike only show. It probably would have taken them longer to grow the show organically. I've been the last couple years and, while smaller, it was great to be able to chat with all the vendors and take in the demos. The kids loved it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #6333
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I ended up having to cut my ride short yesterday. I had parked at the 114th BRT station but only made it as far as DouglasGlen. Up until that point the ride was smooth sailing along the pathways. However once I hit Quarry Park I had to use the sidewalk as the street wasn't plowed. Then in DouglasGlen I had a choice of risking my life/being a jerk cyclist by taking up a huge chunk of the road, or just ending it. Tried a path through DouglasGlen which ended up being too soft, and by that point I was about 100 metres from a friend's house.

While the pathways downtown are mostly bare, the stretch from the bird sanctuary to Quarry park had about a cm of snow. Just enough to make sure ice doesn't form. The Ogden road stretch was "open" other than a 50 metre stretch right as you turn onto Milligan road. Also another bad section as you turn off 8th ave onto 15th st SE to swing onto 9th ave. Also now that the 12th st SE bridge is open I had to get off my bike and pedestrian it across the street.

Beaverdam Flats is still not open.

One thing I hadn't factored with my shoulder pads was how much harder it was going to be to take my backpack on and off. The other downfall is that I forgot to bring gloves. I used my spare socks as makeshift gloves, but ended up keeping my right had bare as it was easier for braking and gear shifting.

That all said, I'll be making another attempt next week if the weather holds. I just need to find a better place to park my car to take the bus into work. During the summer I was able to average between 20-23 km/h. Yesterday was 14.9 km/h. The studded tires sure helped with traction and confidence.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #6334
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome job, Ken. It's been a glorious week for commuting. Fighting with my Garmin again. Now my PC won't recognize it when I try to sync it up. I'll fight with it again at home. Hope it still has my data on it from yesterday.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #6335
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yeah, I'd be willing to sacrifice speed for safety. I guess I should have used quotes around "speed"- as I am certainly not fast at all.

I'm also planning several layer options just to be safe. Should still be above 0 when I head out tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

Feel the same way, worth.

Really enjoyed last year, how easy it was to talk to venders.

With it going this way (combining with the other group), I'm unlikely to attend.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #6336
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes!!!! Data saved!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #6337
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The zoo path is open!! All of the barricades are gone. I really couldn't see if they did anything at all in the dark, but I rode through!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #6338
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I wasn't hallucinating when I thought I saw no barriers on the west end this morning! Looking forward to riding home that way!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #6339
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sign on the north side still says closed, but it's all clear. I ran into a guy yesterday who said he rode right through so I tried this morning.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #6340
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

what, are you serious??? I didn't notice this morning riding by, I was zoned in I guess. hallelujah! did they plow it? When I went by yesterday I was looking at the barricade on the west end and there was a pile of snow there.
Closed Thread