Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #581
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hedman won the Conn Smythe with votes 9-8-1 and Point finished 8-8-2.
Yeah cause the Montreal guy didn’t even have Point on his ballot.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 11:39 PM   #582
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Benn so crushed he could barely say anything in his interview was a satisfying way to end the night.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 12:53 AM   #583
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1310831404704505856
Old 09-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #584
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What a playoffs. Hopefully we never see anything like this again but more than full marks to the team that came out as champion.
A whole lot of people said this whole thing was either a bad idea or it was going to be marred by players getting sick.
Hats off to the NHL and the players for pulling this off.
This entire feat of pulling this tournament off without a single positive case in the middle of a global pandemic is likely the NHL's greatest achievement. I sincerely hope we never have to see something like this happen again. But the league pulled off what many of us, myself included, thought was a big waste of time and simply a matter of time before it got shut down.

Instead the league, PA, players and all tiers of people involved showed what they can accomplish when they put their minds together.

I don't know what hockey looks like going forward for this league. Even next season will be lot of the same questions. But I will easily give them the benefit of a doubt.

Remarkable achievement that I think one day we will all truly appreciate when looking back.

Congrats to the 'Bolts. Obviously the hate still runs deep for that organization. But they have such an awesome group of likeable elite players. Point, Johnson, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Stamkos. All awesome players you can't help but cheer for, along with Cooper as the head coach.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #585
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just what Florida needs. Two championship parades to get that COVID spreading extra fast. As if removing all COVID restrictions wasn’t bad enough.
Yep, Florida is Corona Virus central. The baseball playoffs are starting and the Rays could make a run for a disastrous trifecta.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #586
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Tampa's Cup passing was classy.

Teams conventionally pass it by pecking-order, with the star players getting it first, with a couple long-tenured veterans mixed in. By the time the Cup gets to the role players and rookies half the team has skated away. That never sat well with me.

It looks like Tampa deliberately threw that out the window, as role players and even some guys who weren't dressed were among the first to be handed the Cup, and some star players among the last. Along with having the whole team gather around the Bettman Cup hand-off, it showed a team-first approach.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #587
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hardly watched after the Flames lost. Didn’t watch a minute of the finals and had more interest in the football game last night.

Glad the NHL pulled it off and I am super excited/nervous about what the Flames are going to do in the offseason.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #588
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This entire feat of pulling this tournament off without a single positive case in the middle of a global pandemic is likely the NHL's greatest achievement. I sincerely hope we never have to see something like this happen again. But the league pulled off what many of us, myself included, thought was a big waste of time and simply a matter of time before it got shut down.

Instead the league, PA, players and all tiers of people involved showed what they can accomplish when they put their minds together.

I don't know what hockey looks like going forward for this league. Even next season will be lot of the same questions. But I will easily give them the benefit of a doubt.

Remarkable achievement that I think one day we will all truly appreciate when looking back.

Congrats to the 'Bolts. Obviously the hate still runs deep for that organization. But they have such an awesome group of likeable elite players. Point, Johnson, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Stamkos. All awesome players you can't help but cheer for, along with Cooper as the head coach.
Great post. The Lightning organization is truly exemplary and you have to give Yzerman a ton of credit IMO for putting together this team. He is breaking the adage that great players don't make great coaches or GM's.

Who knows what next year looks like for the NHL and they have some serious economic concerns but it does feel like there is a sense of partnership among the players and league right now. The NFL seems to be showing you can travel in order to play games safely, but they only once a week, so still seems unlikely NHL could look at a full schedule at least to start.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #589
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been watching these Mishkin videos and they really make me laugh. He has the total nerdgasm and Espo's heart rate barely moves.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #590
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Great post. The Lightning organization is truly exemplary and you have to give Yzerman a ton of credit IMO for putting together this team. He is breaking the adage that great players don't make great coaches or GM's.

Who knows what next year looks like for the NHL and they have some serious economic concerns but it does feel like there is a sense of partnership among the players and league right now. The NFL seems to be showing you can travel in order to play games safely, but they only once a week, so still seems unlikely NHL could look at a full schedule at least to start.
Yeah. The Lightning really did buy in to the team first approach where good guys can finish first. Rare to some degree for a sports team with a type personalities. This definitely sets a team standard across the sport which is a nice approach to treat the fourth liner as important as anyone.

As for next years logistics, it wouldn’t surprise me if they do a baseball type series where you do back to back to back games in a week to minimize travel. You save costs as well as get your series in with your division rivals.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #591
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Stamkos is the 5th first-overall pick from the '00s to win the Cup with the team that drafted him.

Only 5 players chosen first overall between 1970 and 1999 won the Cup with the team that drafted them (Lafleur, Potvin, Lemieux, Modano, Lecavallier*).

So far, no players drafted first overall in the 2010s has won the Cup with the team that drafted him. If I were a betting man, MacKinnon is the only one I'd put any money on to do it.
Furthermore, I checked this out. Only 16 1st over-all draft picks have even won the Stanley Cup.

Plasse (68)
Houle (69)
Lafleur (71)
Potvin (73)
Green (76)
Smith (78)
Ramage (79)
Lemieux (84)
Murphy (86)
Modano (88)
Lecavalier (98)
Fleury (03)
Ovechkin (04)
Crosby (05)
Kane (07)
Stamkos (08)

Edit: I completely missed Michel Plasse, Rejean Houle, Rick Green, Bobby Smith and Rob Ramage.

Last edited by Buff; 09-29-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #592
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Furthermore, I checked this out. Only 14 1st over-all draft picks have even won the Stanley Cup.

Lafleur (71)
Potvin (73)
Green (76)
Smith (78)
Ramage (79)
Lemieux (84)
Murphy (86)
Modano (88)
Lecavalier (98)
Fleury (03)
Ovechkin (04)
Crosby (05)
Kane (07)
Stamkos (08)

Edit: I completely missed Rick Green, Bobby Smith and Rob Ramage.
Also, Michel Plasse (1968) was Dryden's backup when the Habs won the Cup in 1973 and Rejean Houle (1969) won 5 Cups with the Habs in the 70s.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #593
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
...Congrats to the 'Bolts. Obviously the hate still runs deep for that organization. But they have such an awesome group of likeable elite players. Point, Johnson, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Stamkos. All awesome players you can't help but cheer for, along with Cooper as the head coach.
I was pretty intrigued about the possibility that TBL might move on from Jon Cooper after their playoff debacle last year. Cooper is exactly the kind of guy that I think Treliving would target hard as a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #594
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I was pretty intrigued about the possibility that TBL might move on from Jon Cooper after their playoff debacle last year. Cooper is exactly the kind of guy that I think Treliving would target hard as a coach.
Nah, Cooper would be too established as a winner in the NHL for Treliving to consider him.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #595
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Luke Schenn was #5 in that draft as well.

In fact Doughty and Pietrangelo round out that top 5 so all of them have a cup, pretty cool to see.
This got me curious about top 5 picks winning the cup. I looked it up, and quite often at least 2 players picked in the to 5 have won the cup, so I figured to limit my criteria, and here is what I found. 2008 is the year of champions! 1984 and 2006 came close.

Looking at the top 5 players in each draft, there was a tonne of players who played for a team that won the next year (or in some cases they were traded away in the middle of that season), also quite a few who went to a team that just won the previous year, but that didn't help them out.

1984 - 4 (1, 2, 3 &5)
1985 - 3 (2, 3 & 5)
2003 - 3 (1, 2 & 3)
2004 - 3 (1, 2 & 4)
2006 - 4 (2, 3, 4 & 5)
2008 - 5 (1, 2, 3, 4 & 5)
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #596
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Nah, Cooper would be too established as a winner in the NHL for Treliving to consider him.
Yes, that would be the exceptionally jaded view. But in the real world Treliving's choices have tended towards the more cerebrally minded coaches, which is a consummate description of Cooper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #597
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hedman won the Conn Smythe with votes 9-8-1 and Point finished 8-8-2.
That's cool. Both were tremendous so I like that the vote was close. Both were deserving, but like I said earlier I'm glad a dman won it since they often get overlooked.

I like how they did the trophy presentation and handoff, I thought it was super classy. Also like that Bettman announced Tampa requested it to be that way. You barely noticed there were no fans because of how well it was done.

Then you have the Superbowl debacle of a presentation, LoL.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #598
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Furthermore, I checked this out. Only 16 1st over-all draft picks have even won the Stanley Cup.

Plasse (68)
Houle (69)
Lafleur (71)
Potvin (73)
Green (76)
Smith (78)
Ramage (79)
Lemieux (84)
Murphy (86)
Modano (88)
Lecavalier (98)
Fleury (03)
Ovechkin (04)
Crosby (05)
Kane (07)
Stamkos (08)

Edit: I completely missed Michel Plasse, Rejean Houle, Rick Green, Bobby Smith and Rob Ramage.
To be fair, half of them played for Edmonton.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #599
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Yup

That’s why I cringe every time someone here pleads for the flames to sign a UFA goalie. MAF etc ... totally pointless.

Draft your own (Vernon)

Pick a diamond in the rough with insider beta (kiprusoff)

That’s all folks
Drawing conclusions from tiny-sample stats like these...

ridiculous
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #600
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea that some have mentioned around teams playing a series with the teams they face off against to minimize travel. Teams are facing some opponents 4 times a year, so that can be spread across 7-9 days. Teams that play each other twice a year can be spread over 4 or 5 days and maybe they play with the schedule to have a minimum number of games against an opponent be twice so they can minimize travel, eliminating the single games altogether.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote