Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rental company can bill you for it. In my few experiences in Europe, it never actually happened. In France I know I triggered a camera, but never received anything. In Germany I got a letter form Avis saying I had been caught speeding on the Autobahn, and I'd be getting the ticket. But it never showed up and I didn't get billed. I'm pretty sure I got one for driving in the no vehicle area of Granada but never heard back on that one either. I tihnk they may look at the cost of dealing with it, and if it isn't worth their time they choose to write it off. I'd imagine a parking lot ticket pretty much gets ignored by rental companies. Just a guess though.

And ya, I know I sound like a scofflaw, but all 3 were due to "don't blame me, I'm just a tourist!" I now know that this sign does not mean "bear claws ahead".

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #22
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's very hard to make a judgement on this without pics of said girlfriend.

In all fairness to inpark, they own the lot, someone parked there, the ticket is extortion but it's not right to park in these lots for free either. Offer to pay the fee and settle, they likely won't, saying it's already past the point and the fine must be paid. Walk away at that point with a clear consciense. Avoid their lots going forward.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
A slight tangent from this conversation. What happens in these lots with a rental car? I got a ticket a few years ago in Kelowna, and paid it because I thought the rental car agency would come after me.
The rental company would most likely bill the ticket to you. I've seen the same happen with Car2Go.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #24
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm always fascinated by how many people think its okay to not pay for parking and then ignore the subsequent ticket. Want to know why the cost of parking is so high? The rest of us are subsidizing your cheap ass.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #25
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
A slight tangent from this conversation. What happens in these lots with a rental car? I got a ticket a few years ago in Kelowna, and paid it because I thought the rental car agency would come after me.
I got a "do not turn on red light" ticket in Florida for $150, but the car rental company charged me $50 "admin" fee for it instead. I'm guessing they have some kind of deal with the police for reduced fines on rental cars?

I just paid the $50 and figured I was lucky to save $100. My own fault, I was too busy figuring out where I was supposed to turn and totally missed seeing the sign.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
It's very hard to make a judgement on this without pics of said girlfriend.

In all fairness to inpark, they own the lot, someone parked there, the ticket is extortion but it's not right to park in these lots for free either. Offer to pay the fee and settle, they likely won't, saying it's already past the point and the fine must be paid. Walk away at that point with a clear consciense. Avoid their lots going forward.
Their damages are just what you said - the extra fee for the time your car spent in the lot. The penalty they charge over and above that is unenforceable in a court of law.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #27
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A person I know parked at a private lot using an expired monthly pass for 3 years. We figured it was about $12K in unpaid parking by the time a attendant actually though to validate the tag. It was a running gag with them on how long they could go without being caught.

They towed ($100), and heard nothing after. I am sure you are fine.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be alright with them just making the 'fine' the fee of parking for the whole day, rather than some completely made up amount. The outrageous cost of parking in the first place isn't what irks me about these companies, it's the way they use these 'tickets' as extra revenue, it's a made up amount that isn't enforceable and then they use shady tactics to try and fool people into paying it.

That's why if I ever park downtown, which is maybe once a year, I try and seek one of those lots where you don't need to guess how long you'll be there, you just get a slip on the way in and pay on your way out for the exact amount of time you were there.

Last edited by btimbit; 05-08-2019 at 01:26 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'd be alright with them just making the 'fine' the fee of parking for the whole day, rather than some completely made up amount.
This would create a pretty terrible (from the property owner's perspective) incentive to never pay for parking in advance and only pay when ticketed.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This would create a pretty terrible (from the property owner's perspective) incentive to never pay for parking in advance and only pay when ticketed.
But then at least that way it's enforceable, and they're only asking people to pay what they're actually legally owed, not some made up amount
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
But then at least that way it's enforceable, and they're only asking people to pay what they're actually legally owed, not some made up amount
Isn't every price for every good or service somewhat made up, though? Your options are to use the product/service, or not. You don't get to decide that something's too expensive so you'll make up your own price and if they don't like it you won't pay them anything but you'll still use their service.

Are their prices too high? How much is real estate, maintenance, taxes, etc. on one of these lots and what is their margin? Since when do we get to decide where a business's margin should be capped? These lots are full of paying customers all the time. Supply and demand dictates the price.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Isn't every price for every good or service somewhat made up, though? Your options are to use the product/service, or not. You don't get to decide that something's too expensive so you'll make up your own price and if they don't like it you won't pay them anything but you'll still use their service.

Are their prices too high? How much is real estate, maintenance, taxes, etc. on one of these lots and what is their margin? Since when do we get to decide where a business's margin should be capped? These lots are full of paying customers all the time. Supply and demand dictates the price.
I'm not talking about the prices, I'm talking about the tickets
Old 05-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #33
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

to add some context the Impark tickets were 85$ each and the Indigo tickets are $110.00 each ... ouch!

what happened to the days where a parking ticket was 20$
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should do the wheel/axle lock like they do in Japan.
These pleb strugglers, who skip out on paying parking, are the hallway slow walker blockers, of the +15 world.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
They should definitely be entitled to penalize people who are trying to steal from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
They should definitely be entitled to penalize people who are trying to steal from them.
They should be able to recover their costs, absolutely, but not trick people into making an even bigger profit.

If I owned some land and you came and parked on it, I can tell you to leave. If I came and told you you owe me $120 for no reason, you'd probably tell me to shove it.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'm not the biggest fan of parking tickets, either, but there are other things to consider sometimes. A friend of mine went DT a few weeks ago for a bday party on a Tuesday night, got wrecked, and left his truck in a lot on 10th Ave. The next day I drove him there, and then he bitched that he got some expensive ticket. Well duh, it's a small DT parking lot in a prime area. They're missing out on sweet sweet day rates because your big red dildo is parked there, unpaid.

So what's fair there? I don't know what he paid to park after 6pm, but you better believe the rate went way up after 6am. It's how they make money. Property taxes on DT real estate is expensive. They sure don't pay the bills charging 0 or 2 or 5 dollars for evening and night time parking.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
They should be able to recover their costs, absolutely, but not trick people into making an even bigger profit.

If I owned some land and you came and parked on it, I can tell you to leave. If I came and told you you owe me $120 for no reason, you'd probably tell me to shove it.
It's not no reason. It's a penalty. Where's the incentive to pay for their service if they can only penalize you up to the amount you should have paid in the first place?

I don't understand why they can't legally fine you. Kind of like, pay in advance and park for $20; pay via invoice and park for $120. I don't like that thieves can get away with not paying for parking and that they feel so justified in doing so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should clarify, I'm not talking about stealing it outright. To me that's the parking version of dining and dashing.

What I mean is say I pay $10 to park for an hour, but end up being there for a little longer than that and get a ticket. I legally owe the parking lot another $10, not $100, despite whatever extortion they want to use to try and make an even bigger profit.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #40
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

But then if you only get dinged what you used anyways why would you ever pay? You'd either get away with it or just pay the same as normal.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote