Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #141
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
Thanks, I just said that.

So, making blanket statements about a number of people is not as bad as making a single statement focused on one individual, is that what you're trying to say?

Your really just embarrassing yourself now, trying to pin your ridiculous stance on your astrological and sign, and back tracking all your foolish statements as "smart ass".
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #142
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
So, making blanket statements about a number of people is not as bad as making a single statement focused on one individual, is that what you're trying to say?
Ya, totally. I don't think it's as bad at all.

Quote:
Your really just embarrassing yourself now, trying to pin your ridiculous stance on your astrological and sign, and back tracking all your foolish statements as "smart ass".
Haha, really? I didn't think it needed explaining to everyone. Embarrassing myself? I'm not the one who's gunning for some random internet user's head after a statement about how people dress! Seriously, though. Enjoy your belt buckle. I'm sure you got lots of compliments around the workplace.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #143
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully embrace the Stampede spirit. But a cowboy hat is over the top in the office. Hats shouldn't be worn in a professional enviornment. Boots, jeans, belt buckle, etc. are awesome though.

What I hate about Stampede are the people who think its an excuse to wear their Ed Hardy shirt with jeans. Ed Hardy = tool.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #144
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
I haven't worked downtown for about 10 years. But during stampede most people wore jeans and cowboy shirts. Some added a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. Then some added more. It was all good, all in fun.

It was the people who didn't at least wear jeans and a 'cowboy' who looked foolish. I found it interesting that these people were the ones that were not team players. That they had a separate agenda from the company. They thought they were better than the other people. They usually moved on to other jobs soon enough.

That is just my observation. I am not saying anybody should be 'fired' for not dressing the part. But it does say something about them.
That's racist!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #145
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
That's racist!
Actually that would be discrimination.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #146
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I fully embrace the Stampede spirit. But a cowboy hat is over the top in the office. Hats shouldn't be worn in a professional enviornment. Boots, jeans, belt buckle, etc. are awesome though.

What I hate about Stampede are the people who think its an excuse to wear their Ed Hardy shirt with jeans. Ed Hardy = tool.
Part of the time during stampede week the environment may no longer be considered 'professional'.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #147
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, totally. I don't think it's as bad at all.

You're right, making a pointed statement about one person is clearly just as bad as making a blanket statment about a group of people based on appearance.

For example, saing "OJ Simpson is Jerk" is clearly as bad as saying "Black people are jerks".

Extreme example? Of course. Does it make my point? Sure does.

You're coming on here calling a VERY LARGE group of people you don't know Douch Bags. (Generalization based on one common trait)

I'm saying you're a jerk for doing it. (Opinion based on your actions)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #148
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
You're right, making a pointed statement about one person is clearly just as bad as making a blanket statment about a group of people based on appearance.

For example, saing "OJ Simpson is Jerk" is clearly as bad as saying "Black people are jerks".

Extreme example? Of course. Does it make my point? Sure does.

You're coming on here calling a VERY LARGE group of people you don't know Douch Bags. (Generalization based on one common trait)

I'm saying you're a jerk for doing it. (Opinion based on your actions)
Haha, I can't believe you just used that example. That just completely discredits your whole argument.

Plus, another thing you just miss and miss and miss, is that I said these people LOOK like ###### bags, not that they ARE ###### bags. And people don't dress up as black. When white people try to act black, they are called posers. Same thing applies here.

Your argument uses something inherent and intrinsic to someone's being: Their race.

I'm saying that people dressing like cowboys for a week look foolish. Completely different, buddy.

Oh, BTW J pold, I made you this. I feel it really captures the spirit of stampede.

The Following User Says Thank You to alltherage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #149
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, I can't believe you just used that example. That just completely discredits your whole argument.

Plus, another thing you just miss and miss and miss, is that I said these people LOOK like ###### bags, not that they ARE ###### bags. And people don't dress up as black. When white people try to act black, they are called posers. Same thing applies here.

Your argument uses something inherent and intrinsic to someone's being: Their race.

I'm saying that people dressing like cowboys for a week look foolish. Completely different, buddy.

Oh, BTW J pold, I made you this. I feel it really captures the spirit of stampede.

I knew my example was flawed, I even sort of admitted it in the first place, but the point stands, you don't know the people dressing like cowboys, why can you judge them?

As for "Oh I said they LOOK like douce bags, not that they are."

Well I'm saying you're acting like a comlete ###### bag, not that you are.

I'm also saying that I think you're a complete dill hole who needs to learn how to have a good time, and stop complaining because the cool kids didn't let him sit at their table in high school, not that you actually are one.

On a side note, anyone ever notice that when someone starts threads to be a jerk, and gets called on it, they usually end up arguing semantics so they can backpedal and claim it was all tounge in cheek?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #150
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
Actually that would be discrimination.
Way to kill my attempted injection of levity.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #151
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Well today is day 6 of the Stampede and I'm still not wearing cowboy clothes.... maybe its because I'm NOT a cowboy!
Does everybody in Edmonton spend the week dressed like gold miners, during Klondike Days?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #152
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we are voicing our opinions, I'll throw my straw cowboy hat into the ring.

I have little sympathy for people who hate and complain about the Stampede to me personally. God forbid 10 days of your life is altered, however minor. Too bad this city can't remain the same for 52 weeks instead of 51. I don't really care if you don't like it, but I'm not very interested in how much you enjoy monotony. Keep it to yourself, most of the city likes to have fun.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #153
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm saying you're acting like a comlete ###### bag, not that you are.

I'm also saying that I think you're a complete dill hole who needs to learn how to have a good time, and stop complaining because the cool kids didn't let him sit at their table in high school, not that you actually are one.

On a side note, anyone ever notice that when someone starts threads to be a jerk, and gets called on it, they usually end up arguing semantics so they can backpedal and claim it was all tounge in cheek?
That's fine that you don't like me based on my opinion, man. It's all good.

I never actually attempted to backpedal at all though, some people understood the sarcasm, others took exception to it. I don't really care except for when people start putting words in my mouth. That's when you will get corrected.

Your argument is flawed. You used a stupid example- I don't care if you already knew it was stupid. That just makes it even more laughable.

Just because you are only now seeing that it's sarcasm doesn't mean that's the way it is- you missed something. Get over it! Haha, cripes man!

Oh, and here's my side note: Even in my personal life I don't really care if a random stranger thinks I'm a jerk because of a tiny snippet of sarcasm. If they have no clue who I am, then who cares? It's like people who get angry at Family Guy or something. The humour isn't meant for you, you wont get it, and I'm fine with that. You can get all in a fuss if you want... I don't care, but don't try to construe me as racist or prejudice. I know the people at my work are good people, hell, I work with some of the nicest people you may ever know! But they look like fools all dressed up! I thought I would share my opinion! If you don't... fine! But relax man, as I posted about the 2nd or 3rd page in:

Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #154
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine that you don't like me based on my opinion, man. It's all good.

I never actually attempted to backpedal at all though, some people understood the sarcasm, others took exception to it. I don't really care except for when people start putting words in my mouth. That's when you will get corrected.

Your argument is flawed. You used a stupid example- I don't care if you already knew it was stupid. That just makes it even more laughable.

Just because you are only now seeing that it's sarcasm doesn't mean that's the way it is- you missed something. Get over it! Haha, cripes man!

Oh, and here's my side note: Even in my personal life I don't really care if a random stranger thinks I'm a jerk because of a tiny snippet of sarcasm. If they have no clue who I am, then who cares? It's like people who get angry at Family Guy or something. The humour isn't meant for you, you wont get it, and I'm fine with that. You can get all in a fuss if you want... I don't care, but don't try to construe me as racist or prejudice. I know the people at my work are good people, hell, I work with some of the nicest people you may ever know! But they look like fools all dressed up! I thought I would share my opinion! If you don't... fine! But relax man, as I posted about the 2nd or 3rd page in:
I'm not sure you understand what sarcasm is.

You started by saying that you think people who dress up for stampede look stupid.

You then said that it was sarcasm and if I didn't understand that then I should get over it.

You then reiterated that you think the people you work with look stupid.

Feel free to point out the sarcasm in that.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #155
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand what sarcasm is.

You started by saying that you think people who dress up for stampede look stupid.

You then said that it was sarcasm and if I didn't understand that then I should get over it.

You then reiterated that you think the people you work with look stupid.

Feel free to point out the sarcasm in that.
Here it is in plain english for you:

In a completely non malicious way, I think people look... "funny" in their little get-ups. But I communicated it in a way that was supposed to be smug, and have some humour to it.

I really do think people look silly, but that doesn't mean I am judging them as a person, it means I am observing out loud that they look silly (read: tools) and that I would not do that myself.

These people are porbably totally nice, cool people on the inside. I just feel embarassed for them when they dress funny.

Okay? Okay there, little guy? (oops, ok, crap... that was sarcasm. I really do want you to understand, but at the same time, I was belittling you by calling you little guy. It doesn't mean I actually don't like you though, or that I wanted to hurt your feelings. It means I assume you have the intelligence to see that I'm being sarcastic, and perhaps we can share a chuckle together.)

Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #156
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, why don't all you stampede lovers just stop wearing your stupid outfits and rubbing "stampede spirit" in my face so that I can try to enjoy life without it? Hahaha, why don't you just shut your mouths too?

People always will voice their own opinions. I've gotten in many a mindless debate on here. Debates, discussion, disagreements, intelligent or just fun, it's all part of what I like about CP. What kind of boring message board doesn't have clashing opinions and ideas? It's what generates discussion.

I know you in particular like to get hot headed in many cases (especially regarding my posts, which is strange) and that's fine, have your opinion, get in there... yadda yadda yadda. But if this topic really bothers people that much they should be cool with saying their pieces and letting it go without letting it devolve in to personal attacks if they can't handle it, ala "Did Stampede spit in your girlfriend's eye". Like really? That's just dumb.

Me talking about grown people dressing like 5 year olds is as valid as people talking about driving slow in the fast lane, getting low balled on kijiji, clapping in movie theatres, or any other such thing. They all involve judgement and opinions, and I'm sure there are some "movie clappers" and "slow drivers" in here, and yeah... maybe their feelings got hurt there too . Bottom line is, it's a discussion, I shared my opinion, I feel like being involved in this discussion, and that's all part of having a CP account. Awesome hey?

Now honestly, I don't really care if you "shut up" or not. Say whatever you want, man, but if I feel like answering or forging some kind of rebuttal, that's my prerogative. It helps me pass my 8 hours at work.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #157
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

^^ Hahahaha, this is so random. Sorry, I'm out of thankses.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #158
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #159
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm yes, people having fun? Not on my watch!
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #160
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here it is in plain english for you:

In a completely non malicious way, I think people look... "funny" in their little get-ups. But I communicated it in a way that was supposed to be smug, and have some humour to it.

I really do think people look silly, but that doesn't mean I am judging them as a person, it means I am observing out loud that they look silly (read: tools) and that I would not do that myself.

These people are porbably totally nice, cool people on the inside. I just feel embarassed for them when they dress funny.

Okay? Okay there, little guy? (oops, ok, crap... that was sarcasm. I really do want you to understand, but at the same time, I was belittling you by calling you little guy. It doesn't mean I actually don't like you though, or that I wanted to hurt your feelings. It means I assume you have the intelligence to see that I'm being sarcastic, and perhaps we can share a chuckle together.)

Oh I see, you were calling me and everone else who dresses up for stameped ###### bags, and fools, in a compltely non malicious way. That makes perfect sense.

Wait, isn't that sort of the Stampede equivalent of "I'm not racist...but".

You can say it was not malicious, and you can say that there is a difference between calling someone a ###### and saying they look like one, but the reality of it is, when you say someone looks like a ###### for doing something they think is fun, you are making a statement about that person, and saying "No offence but...." doesn't mean it's going to piss them off any less. Especially when the "No offence part comes after the fact".

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 07-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fashion police , feelings hurt , sirens , tools , woo woo