Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #1021
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've never understood why soccer injuries take so much piss out of a player. It seems all of our injured guys need months to return (Musse, Mason, Minatel, etc.) I remember getting shin splints, burns, and a knocked knee, but nothing that ever kept me out months. That's just me though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #1022
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was Trafford sat last night as a rotational change? Or is he hurt?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #1023
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to see the team getting so much support on a cold week day.
Felt like only the most hardcore fans were there.
That said, that had to be the poorest attendance yet, I bought a hat and a million beers to compensate.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #1024
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Yeah this loaded October/November schedule isn't going to help attendance. The owners must be struggling a bit this year with the modified schedule.

At least there will be fantastic weather Sunday, that should draw well (I hope).
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #1025
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attendance was 1925. 13 less than the previous club low, which was that game in the -12 against Forge. In similar conditions on Tuesday, Edmonton drew 580.

I don't think it's rocket science to suggest that weeknight games on the shoulder months will not draw as well as either weekend games or weeknight games in the Summer. Yet another thing that is coming out of the league trying to jam a full 28 game season in a shorter season. One would hope that given a clean slate to have a proper season next year from the start, those would go away.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #1026
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have the Cavs ever played a Friday night game? I don't remember any. That would be a perfect end-of-week activity for people looking to let loose after a long week of work, lots of beer and merch sales likely. Surprised they haven't tried this.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #1027
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is the sask CPL team due to start? the summer after next?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #1028
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Was Trafford sat last night as a rotational change? Or is he hurt?
Ironically, I find my answer.
Quote:
Fellow veteran Mason Trafford didn’t start, continuing to miss time with a recurring quad injury
https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer...-visiting-york
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #1029
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nico Pasquotti posted an update 1 year after his original surgery to recover from his ACL tear.

During his rehab it was discovered that he had a cyclops lesion which needed surgery, and then his femoral screw had to be redone. So he was put back to square 1 after 6 months.

Says he'll be back on the pitch next year. Hopefully that's with Cavalry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVCT3TdrtN-/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #1030
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What about Minatel?
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #1031
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Have the Cavs ever played a Friday night game? I don't remember any. That would be a perfect end-of-week activity for people looking to let loose after a long week of work, lots of beer and merch sales likely. Surprised they haven't tried this.
Yes, there was at least one in 2019 that I recall. It was vs FC Edmonton and I believe it was only 2 days after we played the Impact at home.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #1032
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Attendance was 1925. 13 less than the previous club low, which was that game in the -12 against Forge. In similar conditions on Tuesday, Edmonton drew 580.

I don't think it's rocket science to suggest that weeknight games on the shoulder months will not draw as well as either weekend games or weeknight games in the Summer. Yet another thing that is coming out of the league trying to jam a full 28 game season in a shorter season. One would hope that given a clean slate to have a proper season next year from the start, those would go away.
Yeah, when the original 2020 schedule was released (before Covid kiboshed it), many of us were happy with the number of weekend games. I think that's ultimately what the league would like to see now that there's an even number of teams. If the season starts in mid April, no more than a handful of weekday games should be necessary to complete a 28 game season.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #1033
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

And not just weekends, but Friday nights and Saturdays in general. The Sundays are a distant third to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #1034
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
Yeah, when the original 2020 schedule was released (before Covid kiboshed it), many of us were happy with the number of weekend games. I think that's ultimately what the league would like to see now that there's an even number of teams. If the season starts in mid April, no more than a handful of weekday games should be necessary to complete a 28 game season.
There is no CPL legacy here to uphold, so why not weekend only games, at the risk of an unbalanced schedule (and a few less games)?

Midweek is Canadian Championship, Concacaf Champions League and FIFA Club World Cup, or league games that have to get moved because of above.

Business wise, I can’t see revenue from 1900 fans making it a break even for the club, given all the game day expenses for the venue, let alone less fans than that.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #1035
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A shortened season completely takes away the revenue of those home games though. You can't take away some of the games from the season ticket package and then turn around and charge the same amount for season tickets, which makes up a large chunk of your revenue.

1900 people through the gate and paying for parking, concessions and beer is better than not getting that revenue at all.

I think you can get away with the odd weeknight game from June through August given the warmer weather. But not in the shoulder months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #1036
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as attendance is taking a beating due to COVID related issues this year, I expect the CPL is seeking to replicate the MLS model of expansion fees as a cash cow.

If 2 clubs do end up joining the league in the near future as rumoured, that cash will reinforce the finances of existing clubs in addition to the long term tv deal, which is the bedrock of the league.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #1037
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone looking for tickets tomorrow? I’ve got three; one in 200 and two in 201 that I don’t want to see unused! I can’t make the game and haven’t found an interested party yet. PM me and we can set that up!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #1038
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
A shortened season completely takes away the revenue of those home games though. You can't take away some of the games from the season ticket package and then turn around and charge the same amount for season tickets, which makes up a large chunk of your revenue.

1900 people through the gate and paying for parking, concessions and beer is better than not getting that revenue at all.

I think you can get away with the odd weeknight game from June through August given the warmer weather. But not in the shoulder months.
I agree.

My point is that the variable expenses of Spruce Meadows hosting a game (cost of staffing, security, concessions, grounds-crew) and the club playing the game (players salaries etc) probably aren’t covered by revenue generated by only 1900 ticket sales and whatever that 1900 people spent money on in 3h.

But that is in a vacuum, the club financials are based over an entire season; the losses on this past game are made up for in the summer on a warm day when they have a full stadium including 1000 walk up full price tickets, all spending money on drinks and food and merchandise.

Of course, there were more then 1900 tickets sold for the game, just a bunch of season ticket holders didn’t show, and the revenue generated from that paid for season tickets and didn’t show up, helped pay for those variables expenses for the game too…again, over the duration of the season.

But if they played less overall games (ie no midweek games), while there would be less revenue from less games worth of ticket sales and concessions and parking etc, also I assume less of these variable operating expenses for the club with less games to operate, and, players in theory would make that proportionate less of a salary as well, so it would net out to the same.

And Calgary is better off then some others; as the club is owned by the owners of the venue, there isn’t technically rent to be paid by the club, or landlords getting a share of parking, which I assume is the case up in Edm.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #1039
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spoke to someone from the Cavalry front office during the 2019 finals and they mentioned that on average, for each person through the gate, they were making $60 of gameday revenue, on top of ticket sales. Cavalry are doing just fine in covering the operating costs of hosting home games even with 1900 coming through the gate.

For other markets like Edmonton or York, I am sure they would love to do whatever they could to lower costs, given that no one is showing up on weeknights. But with those markets, no one is showing up on weekends either, so they have bigger problems than just covering costs on weeknight games.

Shortening the season means that all areas of revenue would be cut; broadcasting, sponsorships, and game day revenue. I'm sure the owners would love to hear how they can bring even less money into their pockets in this venture.

As for the players taking less money, you have to keep in mind that the majority of players in this league already need a second job just to pay the bills. I've spoken to a few players who are thinking of hanging it up at 25 just because the money isn't there to make a pro career a reality. The level of talent in this league is already low enough, I don't think you can get much lower and legitimately call yourself a professional league.

Simply put, the thought of shortening the season because crowds go down on weeknights in October (during a year where the season itself is ending a month later than it normally would) is nothing more than ill conceived.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1040
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either way, here was the original schedule for 2020. There were 8 Saturday matches, 2 Friday matches and 1 Sunday match. The only weeknight games originally planned were June 9, July 1 and July 29. Every game earlier than May Long and later than Labour game was a weekend afternoon game.

Honestly this schedule would have been awesome and I hope we see something similar in 2022. Don't think there are any crowds of 1900 here....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good