Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 09:35 PM   #5261
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm looking for some faucet recommendations. Our en-suite bathroom has 2 vessel sinks, conical in shape with a fairly shallow angle (I hate them, but that's for another bigger job). One faucet started to leak almost immediately after we bought the house a few years ago, so I replaced it with the exact same model (https://www.amazon.ca/Danze-D225158B.../dp/B01BFHUKEM). Now the 2nd one is going, but that model is now out of stock and stupid expensive, so I'm trying to find something close to it. The issue is that because of the sink's shape I need something with a long enough spout so the water drops in the center, which the old ones do (8" spout length), and none of the vessel sink faucets I can find extend that far out. Anyone with more plumbing experience than I do have any recommendations?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:30 PM   #5262
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Can you get parts from Danze?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:01 AM   #5263
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our ‘new’ house is almost ten years old now, and some of the plumbing fixtures have started to break down. I’ve had really good luck getting parts at Plumbateria. Parts haven’t been cheap, but much cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #5264
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Those Danze faucets swivel, but when we bought the house both of them were seized shut from calcium buildup inside (house has a water softener, but I'm guessing it was a newer addition). When the first one started leaking I took it apart to see if it was salvagable, but it was a total mess inside, and even if I replaced everything the swivel still wouldn't work well. I did some comparison shopping on Home Depot and I see that for vessel faucets a $300+ price isn't that crazy (and none of those swivel), so I bit the bullet and put an order in for another Danze through Amazon. Hopefully it comes back in stock sometime soon
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:17 AM   #5265
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

New to owning a home an came across an issue I'm not familiar with, if anyone can provide some insight as Google not really pulling up my issue.

I'm getting some condensation on the outside of my cold air return, right before it goes into the furnace. As per this photo, it seems very specific to this insulated pipe that comes in to the duct work on the left. The insulated pipe is on the side of the house where I have all the venting, etc but unsure exactly what this pipe does.

Is this cold air being brought into the cold air return, causing the duct work to get very cold and causing condensate to form on the outside? Should I be concerned? It's just dripping on to the concrete next to the floor drain. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/ajzxbb9
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:21 AM   #5266
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that brings fresh air into the furnace(not for combustion), mine has a damper that closes it so it only opens when the furnace is running. I've never had a condensation issue, I assume it would only happen when really cold.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 03:45 PM   #5267
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, that brings fresh air into the furnace(not for combustion), mine has a damper that closes it so it only opens when the furnace is running. I've never had a condensation issue, I assume it would only happen when really cold.
Ya that's makeup air.

Same line-in from the outside as combustion air, except makeup terminates in the cold air return rather than just in the furnace room for combustion air. Newer houses the makeup air generally is motorized (both a motorized damper and power sucked in by code) and/or run through an HRV to warm it up before it gets sent to furnace.

But most older houses just have a line right into the cold return and sometimes a manual damper. OP its nothing to be alarmed about. I'd be slightly concerned (strong word) if the condensation was IN the cold air return (possibility of getting some mold/mildew), but you can check that directly through the little black plug you can pull out and feel around. And if it were pooling inside the cold duct too, you can just drill a small hole for it to drain through and leave it unplugged without issue.

If it only happens when it below -20 I wouldnt stress much anyways, lots of weird #### happens at that temp
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #5268
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey, is there a magical wrench-type tool that can help me adjust a pocket door without removing all the framing and turning it into a full-weekend job? I just need to sneak a wrench above the door but below the track to twiddle a nut to align the door better.

I bought this off ebay, but it didn't work: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/275639774185
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #5269
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried a screw driver(or something skinny with a rubber end)? Stuff something under the door to take the weight off the nut, then see if you can poke at it to adjust.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #5270
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you tried a screw driver(or something skinny with a rubber end)? Stuff something under the door to take the weight off the nut, then see if you can poke at it to adjust.
I'm way too dumb to have thought of such a masterplan. I'll give that a go. Thanks Fuzz.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:43 AM   #5271
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could the bottom of the door be the problem? I had a slow moving pocket door, and all the carpenter did was insert a thin mini crowbar between the door and frame and pulled gently. It aligned everything up and the door runs smooth.

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #5272
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Could the bottom of the door be the problem? I had a slow moving pocket door, and all the carpenter did was insert a thin mini crowbar between the door and frame and pulled gently. It aligned everything up and the door runs smooth.

Spoiler!
Hey neat, I have one of those mini crowbars.

Don't think that's the problem, though. It's not level...over the years the nut on one side has spun itself down by the looks of things, so it's sitting on the track lower at the front of the door and higher at the back. I just need to spin the nut to lift the front up, I think. Otherwise it seems to be centered within the pocket just fine.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #5273
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got a pocket door issue also. The track in the wall has come away from the ceiling, and it seems the only way to get that back up properly will mean cutting into a wall? So annoying. Unless there’s a better way that I don’t know about?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #5274
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Spoiler!
greatest tool ever.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #5275
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
greatest tool ever.
Unexpectedly sharp, too. I cut myself on mine every time I use it.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #5276
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, is there a magical wrench-type tool that can help me adjust a pocket door without removing all the framing and turning it into a full-weekend job? I just need to sneak a wrench above the door but below the track to twiddle a nut to align the door better.

I bought this off ebay, but it didn't work: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/275639774185
I'm still confused what you're trying to do and why a wrench is the tool of first instinct for a pocket door.

Assuming you're fiddling with the track and/or the rollers...
- Needle nose pliers to reach narrow gap at a distance?
- Bent nose pliers to reach at an angle?
- Mini ratchet with hex or screw bit to tighten nuts or screws in tight quarters?
- Crowbar to lever the door back in place?
- WD40 or equivalent to help movement of the nut/screw/rollers?

Or look at a Youtube video on how to remove the trim to access the track, fix and then put trim back?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #5277
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm still confused what you're trying to do and why a wrench is the tool of first instinct for a pocket door.

Assuming you're fiddling with the track and/or the rollers...
- Needle nose pliers to reach narrow gap at a distance?
- Bent nose pliers to reach at an angle?
- Mini ratchet with hex or screw bit to tighten nuts or screws in tight quarters?
- Crowbar to lever the door back in place?
- WD40 or equivalent to help movement of the nut/screw/rollers?

Or look at a Youtube video on how to remove the trim to access the track, fix and then put trim back?
None of your suggestions will work aside from taking apart all the trim, which is exactly what I don't want to do. I'm too lazy to explain it (should have taken a photo), but I think Fuzz gets it and his method offers the best chance of success. Won't be able to try until this weekend.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #5278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’ve got a pocket door issue also. The track in the wall has come away from the ceiling, and it seems the only way to get that back up properly will mean cutting into a wall? So annoying. Unless there’s a better way that I don’t know about?
Considering my own sordid past with pocket doors?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:30 PM   #5279
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
None of your suggestions will work aside from taking apart all the trim, which is exactly what I don't want to do. I'm too lazy to explain it (should have taken a photo), but I think Fuzz gets it and his method offers the best chance of success. Won't be able to try until this weekend.
My confusion is that with your request and Fuzz's suggestion, it sounds like you're doing something like this which seems kinda complex.... Albeit kinda funny to imagine.

But going back to your original post about wiggling a nut with a wrench and combining it with the concept of poking at it with a screw driver, I'm wondering now if you were asking about something like this to tighten the nut at an odd angle:

https://www.amazon.ca/Moody-58-0161-...40261739&psc=1

It seems like each time I've heard about it, everyone remarks it's so expensive for such a strange one time specific job like this. So I've also seen and heard of people using auto trim pry tools and turn nuts at funny angles in certain situations (the screw driver looking thing).

https://www.amazon.ca/XBRN-Removal-W...%2C128&sr=8-16

And sometimes they use something like this for tight angle stuff/tightening other screws.

https://www.amazon.ca/Neiko-03044A-M...863630683&th=1
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:35 PM   #5280
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Pocket-Adjustm...s%2C160&sr=8-1

They actually sell a thing called a "Pocket Door Wrench"
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote