Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #5161
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
From the 'huh' file: had a fireplace put in a year ago, and then I did the stone work. Last week it stopped working, and a service call was booked and I was dreading it cause I thought they gave us a dud and we'd have to rip it all out.

Turns out you have to change batteries in the receiver underneath the fireplace. I'm still not clear on why the thing's also plugged into an electrical socket underneath the unit. The 100+ page manual is actually just installation instructions written in engineerese.
On mine the battery is a back up for when the power goes out so I can still have heat.It’s a 9 volt, change it when the time changes.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #5162
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
From the 'huh' file: had a fireplace put in a year ago, and then I did the stone work. Last week it stopped working, and a service call was booked and I was dreading it cause I thought they gave us a dud and we'd have to rip it all out.

Turns out you have to change batteries in the receiver underneath the fireplace. I'm still not clear on why the thing's also plugged into an electrical socket underneath the unit. The 100+ page manual is actually just installation instructions written in engineerese.
Isn't a receiver for a remote control to turn on the fireplace? The plug would potentially be for a connection to a wall switch for the fan when the fireplace hits a specific temperature?

My fireplace has a receiver that can be used to turn on/off the fire "manually" via receiver, manually via toggle switch on the fireplace itself, via remote control and there's a wall switch for the fan for the fireplace. The fan doesn't turn on if the wall switch is off, but will turn on if the wall switch is on and the fireplace has been on for like 3-5 minutes.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #5163
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone know anything about high-velocity furnaces in terms of pricing to replace an existing furnace?

Bit of backstory, my house was built in 1929, the basement was never finished and we're doing it now. There is some really low duct work in the basement that we wanted to flatten as much as possible to give better head clearance. Decided, why the hell not, let's replace the 1963 flamemaster furnace that's there at the same time.

Had a first guy come out, and he was confident it could be done and had lots of suggestions on how to do it, but then can't get him to respond to my messages and give me a quote.

Had a second guy come out and look, he didn't seem sold (said we wouldn't be happy with the result, but I got a bit of a feeling that he didn't want to do the job)... anyways he suggested looking at getting a high-velocity furnace instead because the ductwork is so small, but I can't seem to find information anywhere regarding what that even costs and what's involved.

Any insights from the CP braintrust on this would be very helpful!
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #5164
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only one guy left to call:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104907
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #5165
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

High velocity systems are NOT cheap, easily installed, and I received your PM so please respond accordingly to my response.
Thanks.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #5166
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Isn't a receiver for a remote control to turn on the fireplace? The plug would potentially be for a connection to a wall switch for the fan when the fireplace hits a specific temperature?

My fireplace has a receiver that can be used to turn on/off the fire "manually" via receiver, manually via toggle switch on the fireplace itself, via remote control and there's a wall switch for the fan for the fireplace. The fan doesn't turn on if the wall switch is off, but will turn on if the wall switch is on and the fireplace has been on for like 3-5 minutes.
I got some clarity from the service guy. Correct, battery is strictly for the remote receiver. Plug is for the fan and (I think?) the ignition system - but there's a manual switch as well. We took out the wall switch, I'm not sure why in retrospect. The wires are still marretted behind a wallplate but I don't know if they're still connected to anything in the fireplace.

It's an 11 month old fireplace, so quite disappointing that the fan control board stopped working already. Hopefully a fluke.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #5167
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody gone all in on Edison bulbs in their house?

I picked up a six pack of these dimmable amber Edison bulbs. I put them in a few fixtures and I love it compared to bright white LEDs. I'm thinking of swapping out literally every bulb in my Canmore condo to these as I think they put off a super mellow vibe. There'd be about 20 bulbs required to do it all.

Advantage is the warmer feel, plus I'm kind of over smart bulbs to a degree. I still have some Hue bulbs on the main floor in my house and enjoy them, but in Canmore I don't want to fata around with extra crap...just want to show up and chill. These seem like a great spot to land so I don't have the bright-white-LED-standard-lightbulb thing going on, but I also don't need to worry about apps and syncing and potential issues.
So I did end up using amber Edison bulbs in every single fixture in my cabin. About 24 bulbs. They're not too dim and it doesn't look weird. It looks awesome and chill and would be the absolute worst had I gone with white. Very happy with the decision and no need for anybody to be hesitant if they, too, prefer an amber hue versus bright white LEDs. Way less hassle than smart bulbs, too.

New question - I have a large wall in my place...it's gotta be 16' high. I don't want something cheesy on there like a large clock, a big compass, or any of the usual I-have-a-big-space-to-fill art pieces. What I want is to try is projecting something a la the Vincent Van Gogh art thing from last year. Obviously it won't be as awesome, but I already have a projector, so should just be a matter of picking some dynamic art for it. Anybody ever done this or seen this?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #5168
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
So I did end up using amber Edison bulbs in every single fixture in my cabin. About 24 bulbs. They're not too dim and it doesn't look weird. It looks awesome and chill and would be the absolute worst had I gone with white. Very happy with the decision and no need for anybody to be hesitant if they, too, prefer an amber hue versus bright white LEDs. Way less hassle than smart bulbs, too.

New question - I have a large wall in my place...it's gotta be 16' high. I don't want something cheesy on there like a large clock, a big compass, or any of the usual I-have-a-big-space-to-fill art pieces. What I want is to try is projecting something a la the Vincent Van Gogh art thing from last year. Obviously it won't be as awesome, but I already have a projector, so should just be a matter of picking some dynamic art for it. Anybody ever done this or seen this?
Yeah I have these Amber Edison bulbs in my kitchen and living room and think they look awesome. I have sensitive eyes so I hate bright lights, but they certainly aren’t dim. Just ‘warm’. I’ve also had them in for 2 years and haven’t replaced a bulb. And I’ll baaaaaad at leaving them on. I ended up not buying the LED version because they weren’t at the store when I was there. But they are still going anyway.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 03:14 AM   #5169
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hey Sliver, can you test and see if this bulb would attract humans who are high like moths to a flame?

https://www.amazon.ca/Feit-Electric-...91679434&psc=1

For the projection wall art thing... I don't fully understand what you're thinking. Wasn't the Van Gogh thing a little more interactive?

I think something like a night sky galaxy rotation, aquarium/ocean or something like that might be kinda neat. Sightly better than using it to show slideshows of photos I guess? Maybe project a buddy's pic and then shoot nerf suction darts at it? Not to say the idea sucks, but with a projector, I wonder if you're probably going to feel an itch to change it all the time and that ease of change might mean you'll never truly feel content with what is there?
Old 12-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #5170
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Any recommendations for someone who can do cabinets and such for closets, both for a walk in and a reach in closet?

I think I got an estimate at another house with California Closets once and they were really expensive (though I'm sure they're nice), would probably want something more in the middle.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:59 AM   #5171
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Any recommendations for someone who can do cabinets and such for closets, both for a walk in and a reach in closet?

I think I got an estimate at another house with California Closets once and they were really expensive (though I'm sure they're nice), would probably want something more in the middle.
That guy that retired at age 49 to set up a woodworking shop would be the one to call, it could be a learning experience for both of you.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #5172
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can you do some DIY or all DIY?

Is it a full replacement requirement or does a partial replacement work as well?

Not even joking, IKEA is a good option. Get shipped parts and assemble and install yourself. It'll be decent and it will look a bit more refined than a full DIY plywood shelf and whatnot. A full inside of a closet might cost $400-900 bucks depending on size. And the closet doors IKEA has to offer has some fancy looking ones.

You can also do Rubbermaid closet organizers. That's what was in my new build townhouse years ago for closets/walk-in and pantry. It was not fancy, but once the clothes are in and assuming you get nicer hangers instead of cheap hangers, it does not look out of place. I think it's around $100-400 for the inside of a closet/pantry. Then you can finish it off with a different door.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #5173
photon

Exp:

I'm not totally averse to DIY, just have other stuff to do so wouldn't mind getting it done.

Doing a full replacement, but what's there is just the builder's wire shelves, I could remove those in about 5 minutes.

Yeah the IKEA stuff I've used before, the only downside is they got rid of their colours for the PAX system, they only have white now. Which isn't the worst but wouldn't mind something nicer, or at least see what the cost difference is.

But IKEA PAX would probably be my fallback.

I'd probably be ok with the Rubbermaid nickel finish stuff but my wife wants nicer cabinets.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #5174
photon

Exp:

Hm this looks interesting: https://johnlouishome.ca/
Old 12-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #5175
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice find. The price seems reasonable for what you get.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #5176
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hm this looks interesting: https://johnlouishome.ca/
They look like upgraded versions of the Rubbermaid organizers. They look pretty nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #5177
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a home electrician? There's a circuit in our basement that just stopped working (2 lights, 3 outlets), breaker didn't flip and me manually toggling it doesn't do anything
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #5178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Can anyone recommend a home electrician? There's a circuit in our basement that just stopped working (2 lights, 3 outlets), breaker didn't flip and me manually toggling it doesn't do anything
If you want to look yourself first you can get a no-contact tester and see if there is power to the first outlet/switch on the circuit. It's possible the first(or second or third) came loose, and just needs the screw tightened, or they used the stupid backstab holes, and it fell out. Or an outlet went bad internally, and they are wired in series. Take the usual precautions like turning the breaker off before touching things(after testing). I'd turn the breaker off immediately(if you don't have time now to test), in case a nail went through something, or there is a loose wire in a box potentially sparking.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:46 PM   #5179
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Consider DIY or paying Fuzz in booze and spirits as a backup plan if it's nothing insanely difficult.

All the electricians I know are all booked solid for what seems like forever. I'm having similar issues with the guys I know. It's basically, "If you don't need it right away, give me a shout in 3-4 months to see how crazy work is." Offering to pay 2x their rate isn't seemingly incentive enough either. They don't want to be the one to open up/identify a can of worms that takes significantly longer than expected to complete the project, even if they'll be paid for it. I trust the guy I know, so I'd rather wait.

Mine's not urgent, so I'm OK living with some unusable plugs and lines temporarily. Mine is an "issue" where I need to either expand the electrical box with tandem breakers, add a small box for an additional 8-12 breakers or replace the box with a bigger box that has enough breakers for all my needs and has another half dozen or so for future expansion requirements.... plus a few nit picky stupid gremlins around the home.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #5180
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used Gravity Electrical Solutions when I had an issue with my garage circuit. The breaker tripped and I could not reset it and it would fire sparks at me when I tried almost frying me. Turns out, when I replaced a plug months before that got a little burnt from a suspect extension cord, the extremely long ground wire pulled back out towards and onto the line screw shorting out the circuit.

I normally do this kind of stuff myself but was a little worried as it was nothing I had seen before.

They came next day, were on time, quick to diagnose and fix and very well priced considering it was a weekend. Guy even gave me some pointers for some of the stuff I had done and plan to do.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post: