Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #5021
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The latex caulking around the tub is getting old and gaps are showing up.

Should I carve out the old caulk in only the areas/line with gaps to redo it? Or should I go further and all the caulking around the tub?
I’d go the whole mile assuming it’s all old all around everything. It pulls out pretty easily. Just be careful next to painted areas. It’s actually enjoyable pulling it out when it stays connected. You’re gonna have enough in one tube to do it all so might as well have it all new and looking consistent. Painters tape is also really important if you don’t have the hang of bead size, steady hand and wiping finger.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #5022
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a door sweep/seal for a front exterior door? Since changing out doors I now have a noticeable gap on the bottom. All the ones Ive been looking at (home depot online/Amazon) are littered with inconsistent reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been looking for the same, without success. Both my doors (main door and also the storm/screen door I put on) are both in need of replacing the sweep and I’ve had no luck finding anything that fits and that works. Amazon, Home improvement stores, Canadian Tire etc. All nada.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:40 AM   #5023
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I’ve been looking for the same, without success. Both my doors (main door and also the storm/screen door I put on) are both in need of replacing the sweep and I’ve had no luck finding anything that fits and that works. Amazon, Home improvement stores, Canadian Tire etc. All nada.

I ended up ordering this one, it’s supposed to be delivered today, hope it lines up ok and holds up on the colder temps

New: KS Hardware,Patent Pending, Adjustable Double Bubble Door Sweep, Draft Stopper, Under Door Seal for Exterior Doors, 1 3/4" x 36", White (36 inch) https://a.co/d/2TUx9hq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #5024
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a while since I bought some, but holy crap interior paint is expensive now. $95/gallon for Benjamin Moore. $65 for Behr/Sico. $45 for Glidden. Can't imagine what it would cost for a whole house.

What's everyone's goto for paint brands for quality / price tradeoff?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:57 AM   #5025
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only buy BM now. Stain proof, wipes easily, goes on very easily, the Aura trim paint self levels. Exterior paint is warrantied for 10 years if you use a BM painter.

And the crowfoot store has treated me extremely well, even gave me paint for free once because they gave me the wrong size.

SW is next best and they have great sales if you’re willing to wait.

Last edited by Shazam; 08-27-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #5026
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Sherwin Williams always has 30-40% off sales; I think I paid ~$60 a gallon a couple of weeks ago for ProClassic for some doors. Emerald would be a bit more (probably $70-75 with that sale).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #5027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Sico because I'm lazy and it is what Rona has. Seems to be pretty good, and if you time it with a paint sale I think it's around $50. I used to use BM when I had a 30% discount, but it's just too expensive to be worth it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #5028
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s no real “bad” paint anymore but some are easier to apply and more forgiving than others. Also dark colours can require more coats.

All I know is that you can scrub the hell out of BM paint and it still looks perfect.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #5029
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tinted primer was one of the best tricks I was told about for base coats on dark colours. Primer is cheaper, and it really helps get a more even coverage in 2 coats of paint.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #5030
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance anyone know a drywaller that's willing to do small jobs? Had to cut a hole in my kitchen ceiling to repair a leak from a shower above it. Hole isn't all that big, maybe 2'x2'. I'd do it myself but it's a stippled ceiling and my limited drywalling skills likely aren't up to the task. I'd even consider dropping the entire ceiling and having it re-done but even that isn't that big of a job.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #5031
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try using the TaskRabbit app.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #5032
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
It's been a while since I bought some, but holy crap interior paint is expensive now. $95/gallon for Benjamin Moore. $65 for Behr/Sico. $45 for Glidden. Can't imagine what it would cost for a whole house.

What's everyone's goto for paint brands for quality / price tradeoff?
Sherwin Williams is often 30-60% off depending if you get on their mailing list and how much quantity of paint you buy.

I assume the other paints are the same and you should assume at least 20-40% off. Don't pay full price on paint.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #5033
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how difficult it is to install a new stair railing or have any good info for doing an installation properly? Should I just leave this job to the professionals?

It should be a relatively easy and quick job as it is only 5 stairs. We are looking to have our flooring changed out in our lower level which will include those five stairs. We have an old school style oak handrail and newel post with white balusters currently and if the flooring is being done I figure that we should upgrade to something more modern whether it be something metal or glass or something else. A glass install I would probably hire someone to do. But the various metal cable railings seem like they would be pretty straightforward. Any insight would be useful.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #5034
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I paint 30 year old grey steel baseboard cold air vents, will the finish hold up? Or will they look like hell after a shoe hits them, or from taking them on and off every year when the vents are cleaned?

There are eight of them in this house ranging from 12 to 30 in, and the cost to replace them with maple or non-plastic ones is just ridiculous. So I'm thinking of painting them white.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #5035
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
If I paint 30 year old grey steel baseboard cold air vents, will the finish hold up? Or will they look like hell after a shoe hits them, or from taking them on and off every year when the vents are cleaned?

There are eight of them in this house ranging from 12 to 30 in, and the cost to replace them with maple or non-plastic ones is just ridiculous. So I'm thinking of painting them white.
Try painting one of them and then try scuffing it up? I'd think that a clear coat or two would be your best friend inthis scenario.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #5036
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might want to use something like Rustoleum. I used it on my door, and it has held up. If you can take the shielding off to do it outside, you will get a bit better finish with a spray can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #5037
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Have they been painted over what would have been the original finish or when you say gray steel is it raw steel? Depending what your current finish is would determine what I’d do for next steps.

A. If it’s raw, use a metal primer and a metal paint
B. If it has a solid (probably oil) paint on it, prime them and use something like an enamel paint.
C. If it has thick or uneven, peeling layers of something you could consider stripping them first.
D. Least durable but may never be an issue in low traffic areas, if it already has some type of paint on it, just add another layer of latex on it.
E. Do one per year and see how it goes. Improving your process and technique each time.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #5038
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Might want to use something like Rustoleum. I used it on my door, and it has held up. If you can take the shielding off to do it outside, you will get a bit better finish with a spray can.
We rattle canned the vent in our van with black rustoleum and it's held up great. It gets bumped constantly with shoes, gear bags, sports equipment, etc. and there are no obvious signs of wear. I'd just take them all off and hit them all with the same can the first time around. You're trying to save some money, no need to overcomplicate it IMO.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 10:07 PM   #5039
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I sprayed a bunch of 100 year old vents with rustoleum hammer finish bronze and they looked great. Just scrubbed them clean with a green pad to knock any loose stuff off put on a few coats. Don’t over think it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 10:30 PM   #5040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good smart smoke/carbon monoxide alarm? Searching reviews all point to the Nest being the best, but I really don't want to get more tied down into the Google ecosystem, the Home app sucks. Ideally I'd like something I could plug into Home Assistant, but just having the ability to receive/mute alarms from my phone and check battery levels would be great
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote