Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #561
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tiafoe upsets Chung (match completed earlier today after being suspended due to rain yesterday) and will play Denis later today for a spot in the Delray Beach Open final.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #562
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well poop, Frances Tiafoe defeats Shapo in straight sets (7-5 6-4), quite the tourney for Tiafoe as he has beaten Delpo, Chung, and Denis in succession to make the final.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #563
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis and Frances genuinely seem to like each other. Nice handshake at the end of the match.

https://twitter.com/user/status/967587111300775936
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #564
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

They were on the Laver Cup team together.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #565
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tiafoe takes the title in Delray Beach for his first ever ATP tourney title Congrats to Frances.

Tiafoe fell on his back in celebration and cried as he hugged his father.

"Now I'm in a position not only to help myself, but help fund my family," Tiafoe said. "It's an unbelievable place to be in and it's bigger than tennis."

Tiafoe's parents moved from Sierra Leone to the United States looking for a better life. The elder Tiafoe ended up working as a maintenance worker at a Maryland tennis club where the American-born Frances fell in love with the game. His twin brother, Franklin, wasn't interested in the sport.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...y-beach/72370/

Last edited by dash_pinched; 02-25-2018 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #566
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis is in Acapulco this week and his first round opponent is none other than Girly's favourite, Kei Nishikori.

Edit: Filip Peliwo and Brayden Schnur are also in Acapulco while Félix Auger-Aliassime, Peter Polansky, and Vasek Pospisil are playing at the Oracle Challenger Series event in Indian Wells.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 02-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #567
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other tennis news, the ITF is going to transform the Davis Cup into a World Cup of Tennis:

LONDON — The Davis Cup is set to be transformed into a one-week, 18-nation World Cup of Tennis in a major overhaul of the international team event in the men’s game.

The International Tennis Federation says it has unanimously endorsed a proposal to create a new season-ending event in November starting in 2019.

The World Cup of Tennis would be played over seven days in the traditional week of the David Cup final, and comprise a round-robin format followed by a quarterfinal knockout stage. Each match would consist of two singles and a doubles.

Sixteen teams would automatically qualify for the finals and two more would be selected.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/davis...ld-cup-tennis/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #568
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the list provided by Tennis.Com Novak comes in at #5 for the Mens side

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...jokovic/72329/

I think he's the better all around player than Sampras but until he gets to 14 majors I just can't have him ahead. Will be interesting to see how he finishes his 2018 season, should rest and take it easy and aim at a big US Open push to end the year IMO.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #569
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
In other tennis news, the ITF is going to transform the Davis Cup into a World Cup of Tennis:

Very interesting - but I like best of 5 better than best of 3.

Takes away home court advantage (except for the host).
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #570
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post

LONDON — The Davis Cup is set to be transformed into a one-week, 18-nation World Cup of Tennis in a major overhaul of the international team event in the men’s game.

The International Tennis Federation says it has unanimously endorsed a proposal to create a new season-ending event in November starting in 2019.

The World Cup of Tennis would be played over seven days in the traditional week of the David Cup final, and comprise a round-robin format followed by a quarterfinal knockout stage. Each match would consist of two singles and a doubles.

Sixteen teams would automatically qualify for the finals and two more would be selected.

I don't like this, I don't like that it will be indoor hard court all the time. Takes away strategy from other countries in deciding where to play. Also, Davis Cup was one of the few tennis events that occasionally made its way to Alberta, now I highly doubt the World Cup of Tennis will come back.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #571
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Takes away strategy from other countries in deciding where to play.
Strategy, or unearned advantages?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #572
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
In the list provided by Tennis.Com Novak comes in at #5 for the Mens side

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...jokovic/72329/

I think he's the better all around player than Sampras but until he gets to 14 majors I just can't have him ahead. Will be interesting to see how he finishes his 2018 season, should rest and take it easy and aim at a big US Open push to end the year IMO.
this is where the comment section just got a big dose of fan anger. some people think he should be as high as #3, ahead of Laver, because of how he dominated the Rafa and Fed H2H during his peak. I'd be willing to listen to the argument that at his absolute best, he produced the most unbeatable tennis in the history of the sport. but if you look at it more as a marathon than a sprint, then it gets murky.

I think I'd still put him right around equal with Pete, and above if he manages to add at least one more slam. it will be interesting to do this list again in 10 years once all these guys are done (though there's no guarantee 47 year old Roger won't still be out there showing up to exactly one tournament per year and winning it)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #573
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
this is where the comment section just got a big dose of fan anger. some people think he should be as high as #3, ahead of Laver, because of how he dominated the Rafa and Fed H2H during his peak. I'd be willing to listen to the argument that at his absolute best, he produced the most unbeatable tennis in the history of the sport. but if you look at it more as a marathon than a sprint, then it gets murky.

I think I'd still put him right around equal with Pete, and above if he manages to add at least one more slam. it will be interesting to do this list again in 10 years once all these guys are done (though there's no guarantee 47 year old Roger won't still be out there showing up to exactly one tournament per year and winning it)
The one thing you can say about Novak is that he beat the greatest clay court player ever at the French Open and he beat the greatest grass court player ever in the Wimbledon finals. However, he did miss a great opportunity to have more majors losing to Murray twice in the finals and Wawa twice in the finals. His 12-9 Grand Slam finals record isn't amazing as well especially when compared to say Sampas (14-4).

Plus the first couple years of his career he would always quite matches and players on tour hated him, Roddick tried to fight him once lol. But out of everyone else for the past decade he was really the only one who rose up and took on the King and the GOAT and won his fair share of matches. So as much as I hated Rafa losing to him, I always recognized he was one of the greatest.

It's crazy to think that the big 3 will end up most likely with +50 Grand Slam titles combined.

Full disclosure Troutman I'm only mad about Davis Cup of Tennis being indoor hard because this greatly reduces Spain's chances at another title.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #574
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

well.... there goes Calgary's shot of ever hosting world tennis. don't see this being more of a draw for fans to travel for than Laver Cup.

poor decision which hurts the fans I think. Its hard to grow tennis in areas which don't usually get to experience world class players.

Atleast we got Edmonton.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #575
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
well.... there goes Calgary's shot of ever hosting world tennis. don't see this being more of a draw for fans to travel for than Laver Cup.

poor decision which hurts the fans I think. Its hard to grow tennis in areas which don't usually get to experience world class players.

Atleast we got Edmonton.
I assume the qualification for this tournament will still be played in other locations and I don't think Canada would be seen as an automatic qualifier most years.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #576
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post

Atleast we got Edmonton.
Just my opinion, but I think the ITF are hearing the concerns about player's injuries and have taken a step to reduce the wear and tear of some of the top players with this new format. Yeah, it's too bad about losing some live Davis Cup tournament action here in Canada, but if it helps guys stay healthy, I think it's a step in the right direction.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #577
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pistol Pete comes in at #4. Such a good player in any era, him and Agassi were the originals before Nadal and Fed came and broke all the records. I would love to see a prime vs prime matchup between him and Federer at Wimbledon, would be amazing. When he retired many were thinking that 14 grand slams would never be broken, now we may have 3 men do it in 30 years.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #578
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Pistol Pete comes in at #4. Such a good player in any era, him and Agassi were the originals before Nadal and Fed came and broke all the records. I would love to see a prime vs prime matchup between him and Federer at Wimbledon, would be amazing. When he retired many were thinking that 14 grand slams would never be broken, now we may have 3 men do it in 30 years.
I'm not even sure which Fed I'd want to do that computer simulation with, the 2006 baseline assassin or the 2017 serve + smother version. I was too young and fickle to really appreciate Pete and even remember cheering against him towards the end of his career for whatever reason, but he was the ultimate fast tennis machine and might have been the reason they slowed Wimbledon grass down in the early 2000's. that's like how they changed the rules for offsetting penalties because of Gretzky.

comically though, my enduring memory of Pete will always be his charity Hit for Haiti in 2010 with Andre, Rafa and Fed. probably the cringiest thing that has ever happened on court.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #579
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Sampras and Federer played some exhibition matches after Sampras had retired, and Sampras even beat Fed once. It's crazy that he retired at 31 that seems so young, you have to think he figured his 14 Grand Slams were safe no need to keep playing. I wonder if he regrets retiring at 31 seeing Fed and Nadal continue to dominate in their 30s.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #580
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I remember Sampras and Federer played some exhibition matches after Sampras had retired, and Sampras even beat Fed once. It's crazy that he retired at 31 that seems so young, you have to think he figured his 14 Grand Slams were safe no need to keep playing. I wonder if he regrets retiring at 31 seeing Fed and Nadal continue to dominate in their 30s.
I believe Pete has mentioned on a few occasions that he wishes he swapped out his trusty 85 square inch Pro Staff for a modern racquet; he says it could have extended his career. I think it definitely would have allowed him to hang around longer with all the baseline pounding youngsters, but an athlete of the 90's is a totally different specimen than the scientifically managed freaks we have today. they just didn't have the knowledge around training and nutrition (and...supplements??) to maintain peak physical levels so long.

I also think Roger hung on too long to his Pro Staff 90. might have picked up a couple extra slams during those lean years between 2010-2014. I'll fully admit that when I actually played a little, I went with the giant head Babolat Aero and the grippiest spinniest Luxilon strings. I still sucked but it was fun doing the buggy whip forehand and watching the ball bounce up near my opponent's head.
Closed Thread