Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #81
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...one_data_plans

So does this mean people with existing buckets won't get charged extra? I mean, even people without the 6GB bucket.
I'm betting that they'll try to jack existing customers with non-jailbroken phones at least $5-10/month for the privilege.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #82
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't think they will.

It says that you'll need a minimum 1GB data plan (which is $30) in order to use tethering, and the 6GB plans from launch were $30. So, my thinking is as long as you're paying $30/mo for data, you're good. The only difference is people without the 6GB plan (was only available for 2 months I think) will have an easier time of hitting the overage charges, and will probably end up in the flex bracket.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #83
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...one_data_plans

So does this mean people with existing buckets won't get charged extra? I mean, even people without the 6GB bucket.

At the end of the day, this is all I really care about. Give me 3.0 on my existing 3G and don't charge me extra for tethering... and they can keep their 3GS.
Yeah, as I understand it, those of us with the 6 GB / month plan (or even the 1 GB version, as indicated) get tethering for free, which is quite astounding if you ask me. I was fully expecting for Rogers to charge for that.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #84
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I emailed rogers to ask for clarification, will let you know what I hear back.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #85
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that wording actually makes me have a bit of hope for that part.

Still would like to know what it'll cost to upgrade. Rogers of course isn't on the ball at all, at least Fido had a link to the new phone on their site (no more info tho).
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #86
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers will allow tethering immediately after the update is available. Only requirement is a 1GB (or larger) data plan.

Time to get what I pay for. On the last day of each month I'm going to download torrents all day using 3G.

MMS will be available in the weeks after the update comes out, Rogers 'needs time' to develop the proper structure within the network.

As for upgrades, Rogers has 'recently' implemented a rule restricting upgrade eligibility to those costumers who's contract is at least 24 months old. Of course they did.

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 06-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #87
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't read through all five pages but what about $29 for Snow Leopard??? For anyone running a relatively new Mac, it's going to be a killer update. Sounds like they make much better use of the capabilities of the hardware. And you'll get 5 GB of space back.

Can't say I'm too disappointed in what was announced today. Other than I should have waited a few more weeks to get my MacBook... But waiting is a losing game every time.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #88
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Im stupid... what is MMS?
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #89
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Send pictures / video / audio to other peoples phones. Like text messaging.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #90
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Okay, so about 2 years ago I walked into Rogers and asked for a SIM card and a 1 year contract. I took the SIM and threw it into a 1G iPhone that I got off craigslist. I take it that since it is expired, it is the same as having no contract and I don't have to "upgrade"?

According to Keith Arthur, senior director of social media and digital communications @ Rogers posted that Rogers is (a)following the pricing model that Apple presented today and that (b)the $30 for 6GB plan is back as of tomorrow.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #91
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody familiar with rogers return policy? I got my phone less than a month ago from the place in costco, just wondering if I might be able to return it and then get a new version.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #92
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I was golfing today, so save for a few tweets i haven't been in on this discussion. I have comments on two quotes:

Referring to downloading tv shows/movies on iphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Probably won't work in Canada
Why don't you think it would? Why wouldn't we be able to get what we otherwise could find in the Canadian iTunes store?

Quote:
So, to clarify...

A brand new customer who has never spent a dime on an AT&T phone or contract, ever, in their lifetime, gets a new iPhone for $99.00 with a two-year contract.

Someone else, however, who has spent thousands of dollars on AT&T phones and contracts, has to spend $499.00 and extend their current contract by another two years, just to get that same phone.

Someone remind me how Mobile companies have ever been allowed to stay in business?
Scott Bourne had a couple comments on twitter about this. Obviously can't vouch for confirmation as twitter can be a giant game of broken telephone. Regardless, he said:

Quote:
RT @Xevious Looks like if you have had your 3G iPhone less than 1 year there is a $200 premium (+$18 upgrade fee). After 1 year you're OK.
I'm dying to see how Rogers handles this. I'm trying to find my Rogers contract. I swear I remember being available to upgrade only after 12 months. Perhaps I heard the guy wrong when he was going over it though. I just remember thinking "So if I lose it I just have to wait it out until next June". I could totally be crazy. I'm geeking out hard for this thing. The extended battery and capacity is just taunting me. As somebody who uses the device for several hours each day battery life and storage space are kind of like crack to me.

edit: More twitter posts. Some guy says that he's checked and he won't be able to upgrade even after a year. Son of a bitch.

On the plus side while scouring my files for the contract I found the receipt for my imac which I thought I lost. I think I can send it in and get my expense account at work to kick me back a cheque. Le woot.

Last edited by Russic; 06-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #93
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

Referring to downloading tv shows/movies on iphone.

Why don't you think it would? Why wouldn't we be able to get what we otherwise could find in the Canadian iTunes store?
I mean that the library that they'd have for Canada would be terrible at best. We alway get the shaft with these international licensing agreements from archaic times.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #94
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I mean that the library that they'd have for Canada would be terrible at best. We alway get the shaft with these international licensing agreements from archaic times.
Have you looked at Canadian iTunes lately? We get all the good TV shows, etc now. Gone are the days of only being able to buy Anne of Green Gables...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #95
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
As Fanin80 said, the Canadian iTunes library had a pretty big overhaul a couple of weeks ago. It isn't just for Corner Gas fans anymore! Unfortunately they don't have back seasons of the shows, just the current ones, but it's still wayyy better than it was.

edit: holy crap, they actually do have some old seasons now! When I looked last week they didn't have them. I can finally get season 3 of Lost without a 2 month battle with bit torrent!

Last edited by Russic; 06-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Nice!

Yeah, now the the door is open, the catalogue seasons will continue to be right around the corner.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #97
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

For some extra geek infos: Apparently, the new iPhone 3GS has a 600MHz processor and 256MB of RAM, compared to the 412MHz processor and 128MB of RAM in the iPhone 3G.

I don't think they talked about that during the keynote, but it was definitely something I was wondering about.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/10/...m-powervr-sgx/
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #98
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Fido going to allow tethering since they are practically Rogers?
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #99
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Is Fido going to allow tethering since they are practically Rogers?
looks like it http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...gers-and-fido/
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #100
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
That, if true, rules.