Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead on the Hitmen today, and I was thinking about how the Tigers have been playing unreal and may be better than I initially thought. Then the Hitmen took control of the game completely, and have just dummied the Tigers ever since.

6-3 with time winding down.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #42
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was worried in the first that they were still suffering the turkey hangover like they were in the Thanksgiving day game vs Edmonton.Then they came back and were playing more like they're capable of. Peters was incredible in his relief duties.

If this team keeps their feet moving and stops taking lazy penalties, they can play with any team in the league.

On a side note, Carl Stankowski isn't with the team right now, though the Hitmen still retain his WHL rights. I suspect it has to do with the fact that he has ab autoimmune disorder called ankylosing spondylitis, which presents like
Rheumatoid Arthritis but in the spine. Article
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #43
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bret Hart night tonight at the 'Dome! I've got my Mankind costume ready!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #44
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Would be hilarious if you had two other friends dress up as dude love and cactus jack
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #45
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oliver Okuliar looking like a heck of a pick up for the Canes.

Goals in 7 straight now, including back to back hatricks. He leads the WHL in goals now.

Canes are 8-0-0-2 in their last ten, although mostly games vs weaker teams.

Still impressed by them so far.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #46
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Congrats on the jersey win!
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #47
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bah. Canes just had a 10-0-0-2 streak come to an end where they out shot TC 49 to 16.

Listened to a podcast where they said the Canes are the 2nd youngest team in the WHL and have the lowest amount of collective WHL game experience on their roster. Pretty impressive to be sitting where they are a quarter of the way into the season.

Also, despite being the 2nd youngest, they are the tallest and heaviest team in the league. Just thought that was interesting.

Around the league Kelowna is getting worked tonight by Spokane. They do not look like a legit Memorial Cup contender so far this year. Barely above .500 and 7 of their 9 wins have come against 500 or lower teams. Going to be interesting to see if they can turn it around and not have to back into the memorial cup as a super weak host team.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #48
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Around the league Kelowna is getting worked tonight by Spokane. They do not look like a legit Memorial Cup contender so far this year. Barely above .500 and 7 of their 9 wins have come against 500 or lower teams. Going to be interesting to see if they can turn it around and not have to back into the memorial cup as a super weak host team.
The Rockets actually had a nice start to the season and looked pretty decent but the wheels have fallen off recently and it hasn't been one thing.

-Lack of true top-six centres is now an issue as an already-thin group lost overager Kyle Topping to injury and had to replace him with a 20 who was playing junior A

-Rookie of the year candidate (and great 2020 draft prospect) Pavel Novak just got an 8-game suspension for a nasty hit and will sit for a bit now

-Going through a stretch of poor defensive play right now. Carson Sass isn't a good enough 20 in this league and none of the blueline has taken a step forward as one would have anticipated this year. Kaedan Korczak is a fine shut-down player but hasn't developed offensively as hoped and isn't physical. Sean Comrie has been a huge disappointment since coming over from NCAA - he's still adjusting to the WHL game so perhaps there's more there but early returns aren't good. Jake Lee has bite to his game but doesn't move the puck that great. Elias Carmichael is 16. And Devin Steffler and Cayde Augustine just aren't that good at hockey - none of them have any traits that they do exceptionally well. Part of good defensive hockey though is desire and compete level and this is lacking big-time and it shows on the penalty kill as well

-The aforementioned issues with the D is that none are truly elite gamebreakers and struggle to move the puck up to the forwards. It's resulted in a very pedestrian 5v5 systems play that pretty much relies on the powerplay to score goals. Thank goodness the PP looks good

-Adam Foote isn't a very good coach. He has the team playing a very conservative style and they don't have the puck much. They give up the blueline easily and chip pucks out rather than make good outlet passes. It's almost like he's trying to recreate the 2004 Rockets team that won the Memorial Cup without a player scoring more than 48 points all season. But he doesn't have the same kind of players to achieve that

-Tensions between him and Bruce are pretty high right now. He thinks he doesn't have the personnel to play a more skilled game (partly true) and Bruce thinks Foote isn't maximizing the players he has (also true). The players don't seem to be playing with any heart and tend to fold up shop quickly on nights where it's not going their way. They don't elevate their game against division rivals and in big situations. Foote looks out of ideas

To summarize, there's a lot of uncertainty. Bruce's plan was to evaluate the first 20 games before making any moves, so in a way it's good that the adversity came early so nobody's in denial about what this team is. They need one if not two 20-year old upgrades. They need a top-line centre who can distribute the puck. They need an elite puck-moving defenseman who can lead and play in all situations. That's at minimum. Problem is there's very few teams who are out of the playoff race and willing to sell at this point, and some of the teams who were thought to be potential sellers have started hot so there's not many upgrade options just yet. They've already dealt the 2022 1st so perhaps need to convince some of their top prospects to waive the NTC (which isn't likely) to facilitate deals.

This team looks to be much better in 2021 and probably will have another golden generation in 2022-24 with the amazing crop of 16s and 15s they've drafted so you don't want to jeopardize that either by chasing it this year at all costs. Looks like they just are on a bit of a rare down cycle last year and this one, and picked a bad time to host the tournament. It happens.

Tonight's game is pretty much a must-win or heads will begin to roll.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #49
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of the other Hurricane fans here have any takes on the team this year?

Just beat Swift 6-2 and are currently tied for 1st overall despite being the 2nd youngest team in the league. I believe they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and are routinely putting up 40+ shots. They had over 50 shots tonight. They seem to be getting better.

18 year old Dman Alex Cotton is having a break out season leading the league in Dman scoring, and Addison is not far behind him.

Two of the three highest scoring forwards in the league and Tetachuk is also having a break out year in net, at or near the top of the league in all the goaltending stats.

Kudos to Anholt and Kisio, they seem to be doing a bang up job, I thought this would be more of a down year for sure.

Big test coming up against PA next.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #50
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think that with the Canes you'll see the need for some strong secondary scoring. Cousins/Okular are running the point totals with D-Jay getting in on the action playing with them. Once they start playing the higher end teams is where you hope that someone is able to step up.

I'd also love to see them change up the PP. Right now it's very predictable. Addison to Cousins and return. I'm getting frustrated with how even Addison hits the goalie right in the crest. Especially against a team like Swift though you should see better puck movement with the man advantage.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I think that with the Canes you'll see the need for some strong secondary scoring. Cousins/Okular are running the point totals with D-Jay getting in on the action playing with them. Once they start playing the higher end teams is where you hope that someone is able to step up.
Agreed. Those three have accounted for just over half of the Canes goals. None will likely be back next year either despite Cozens and Okuliar only being 18 and 19 years old respectively, so it may result in the team struggling to maintain linear progression next year despite being so young overall.

Hopefully as the year progresses we see lots of improvement from guys like Barlage, Boyko, Stringer and Thacker. Really sucks that Boucher is losing this whole season, lots of upside with him.

I'm assuming the Canes aren't as high on Thiessen as they were earlier on since they dealt a 3rd to Kamloops to grab 17yo Dman Thurston this week. Hopefully he can slide in seamlessly and be a piece to build on as the D is going to take a big hit next year when they lose Addison, Wilson and Prefontaine.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #52
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hopefully as the year progresses we see lots of improvement from guys like Barlage, Boyko, Stringer and Thacker.
I would hope to see Boyko or Thacker go off. I'm not expecting a huge year from Stringer and could actually see Nash getting a little more of an offensive side. He plays hard and more of a middle game where Stringer I have always felt is too much of a perimeter player.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #53
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I would hope to see Boyko or Thacker go off. I'm not expecting a huge year from Stringer and could actually see Nash getting a little more of an offensive side. He plays hard and more of a middle game where Stringer I have always felt is too much of a perimeter player.
Yeah Nash definitely has some jam to his game.

Speaking of 16 year old forwards, what was your opinion of Collora in his 2 games?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #54
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He did not look out of place from what I saw. It's always difficult with 16 year olds because there is such a jump from MAAA to WHL. His foot speed will catch up as well his thought process but he sees the ice well and has been taking responsibility in his own end. It's a good, YOUNG start
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #55
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swift Current needs a new athletic trainer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1201569005431140352
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #56
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #57
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Swift Current needs a new athletic trainer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1201569005431140352
Lol. Brockman is a joke. Kids have been asking for trades or to be released. The trainer was the only one willing to stand up for the kids and he gets fired for it.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #58
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Lol. Brockman is a joke. Kids have been asking for trades or to be released. The trainer was the only one willing to stand up for the kids and he gets fired for it.
Is this actually true?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #59
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Memorial Cup ticket packages go on sale Wednesday morning.

Not that many good seats left. Grab them while you can.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #60
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes took their first real beat down of the season last night, courtesy of the Tigers.

8-3. Ouch.

Medicine Hat is on a roll, and are creeping up near the top of the league standings. That's a deep team, and Desjardin has added a couple more really solid depth pieces in the last couple of weeks with 19 year old forward Cyle McNabb from the Blades and 18 year old dman Nick Perna from Portland.

They've lost Brinkman and Soogard to team Denamrk for a little while here, but they'll be back in a few weeks, and with Bjorklund in net, and tremendous forward depth I don't think they will slow down much, if at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: