Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #541
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody looks at an artwork and thinks "it's only okay, but I love how cheap it was!" That mindset only works for things with strict utility. The value gained by art is too nebulous to put a dollar value on, so it's hard to pick the 'better choice at a better price' before committing to build something.

But there certainly is a market for art. I'm coming at this as a dealer myself. We've sold two pieces for public display in the last couple years and are close to closing another one. Our buyers are private companies and they've done their research on pricing for sure. I've seen rfp's from the city and the problem we have is they don't actually come out and say what the price tag needs to be, but they definitely make it easy enough to figure out. So we're doing that wrong for sure. And I think the average public art artist is much less talented than fine art artists.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #542
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I get that there are some people in this thread that don't like the public art projects that are being built. Can those people answer one question for me?

a) Would you rather see different art projects? What are some examples of public art projects that you approve of? or,
b) Would you prefer that the government saved the money to fix more potholes, do more street cleaning, or whatever else?
A!

- Luminous Crossings
- Jumping Trout
- Chinook Arc
- Family of Horses
- Brotherhood of Man
- Conversation
- Bearing
- The Colour of Snow
- The Device to Root Out Evil (gone)

From other cities:

- Cloud Gate
- Charging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Instead of throwing out a tender and seeing who responds maybe we could approach someone established as a fine art artist and work with them on a commission.
That's called sole-sourcing and one of the consequences of the Peace Bridge brouhaha is that it's politically toxic. (Which, I think, is a shame. Open bidding is good for commodities, but has drawbacks when applied to art, or even architecture.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #543
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they add a public art component to the budget of the library? If so that is ridiculous, the whole building design is public art?

I like the drinky bird but not sure it fits with the rest of the building

Last edited by GGG; 11-02-2018 at 07:09 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #544
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like the ladder and I like the bird. both are interesting to me.

I get that there are some people in this thread that don't like the public art projects that are being built. Can those people answer one question for me?

a) Would you rather see different art projects? What are some examples of public art projects that you approve of? or,
b) Would you prefer that the government saved the money to fix more potholes, do more street cleaning, or whatever else?

There is some public art I like, the laughing men in English Bay are both interesting and accessible, the stacked cars are great particularly in the context next to the viaduct.

Most public art is dreadful though just because it is so dull, it is bought not because it is good but because it fills a space,
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #545
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I like the ladder and I like the bird. both are interesting to me.

Most of the art the city puts up is actually decent. Others have already given several examples.

Likewise, it is inevitable that, when left to a small, exclusive council of bureaucrats, there will be awful choices made from time to time. And that's not just a Calgary issue. Though, when our small, exclusive council has failed, it has done so spectacularly. The blue circle is just as stupid today as it was the day it was approved, and the Bowfort garbage heap is going to still be a garbage heap until the day it rusts apart and the city removes it in shame.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #546
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Likewise, it is inevitable that, when left to a small, exclusive council of bureaucrats, there will be awful choices made from time to time.
A council of bureaucrats does not select public art. The selection panel is made up primarily of citizen volunteers.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #547
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Volunteer bureaucrats are still bureaucrats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #548
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is the alternative to weigh input from every forum member, Facebook post, and newspaper comment?
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #549
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Argument from extremes is never an intelligent rebuttal.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 11-04-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #550
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://goo.gl/maps/9yv4uKZmhMz

This was the ugliest hunk of metal ever put on display, made only worse by the dimly lit alcove it was stuffed into. Fortunately it is gone now, hopefully melted down into something more aesthetically pleasing, like a wheel rim for winter tires.

Sorry, for the crap pic, couldn't find anything other than Streetview, probably because no one ever stopped to take a picture of this titan of turds.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #551
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

This was the ugliest hunk of metal ever put on display, made only worse by the dimly lit alcove it was stuffed into. Fortunately it is gone now, hopefully melted down into something more aesthetically pleasing, like a wheel rim for winter tires.

Sorry, for the crap pic, couldn't find anything other than Streetview, probably because no one ever stopped to take a picture of this titan of turds.
It's still there. It's just inside now. The plaque on it says something like "the interpretation is largely left to the viewer."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #552
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Titled:

"An Ode to the Laziest Custodian Who Refuses to take this to the Dump"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #553
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would actually be really hilarious if it wasn’t a piece of art, and just some random refuse that people were complaining about.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 AM   #554
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

At least you can't say that's it's ruining a beautiful location.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #555
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That would actually be really hilarious if it wasn’t a piece of art, and just some random refuse that people were complaining about.
Or even if it was some random refuse that the lazy custodian decided to call art so that he didnt have to take it to the dump!

So many possibilities.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #556
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually like that metal pile. Looks interesting enough to stop me when I walk by. Can you tell me where it is so that I can walk over today to see it in person? I might change my mind when I see it.

Either way, I like seeing at least a few things that aren't a photo of a horse/pumpjack or animals stamped on concrete.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #557
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Better or worse than Vancouver's new ladder to no where?

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/108-s...der-public-art
That's art?

I drive by it every day twice. I thought they were building a cell tower or something.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #558
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
That's art?

I drive by it every day twice. I thought they were building a cell tower or something.
Lightning rod?

Old 11-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #559
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just for convenience so all those Vancouverites can get up on their high horse more easily.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #560
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lightning rod?
that would actually be useful in a prairie city like Calgary.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote