Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #361
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Negative sentiment within the Native community is picking up steam: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/bl...ture-1.4247127
They should head over to BC so the good people of Vancouver and Victoria can educate them on Art.

They seem to know best.

"Its not Garbage...its Art! Super-swearsies!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #362
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
They should provide a side by side illustration showing how their culture was "stolen", because those don't really look anything like burial scaffolds. I'd say the "sick to their stomach" feeling is associated with them not cashing in on the contract as opposed to any "appropriated" culture.
Already done a while back. And the last part seems a bit much.

http://www.windspeaker.com/news/wind...econciliation/

http://globalnews.ca/news/3653569/re...ers-sculpture/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Maybe the death theme of the art will help people drive more carefully and slowly on the road.

Nahhhhh.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3653569/re...ers-sculpture/

“I don’t think they were set out to offend anybody but without truly checking in with the indigenous voices, you’re going to do something that isn’t right,” Stimson says. “As a Blackfoot man, I will have difficulty going by that piece and even as a contemporary artist, I can accept it, but I will go by thinking funeral platforms no matter what I do.”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #363
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The notion of "cultural theft" implies that ideas, styles etc. should be the exclusive domain of certain people by virtue of ethnicity. It is an inherently racist and regressive notion.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #364
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The notion of "cultural theft" implies that ideas, styles etc. should be the exclusive domain of certain people by virtue of ethnicity. It is an inherently racist and regressive notion.
This.

Never understood the big brouahaha about cultural appropriation. No, having borderline racist sports emblems and names are poor, but most appropriation is simple innocent and fine. I shouldn't eat ginger beef?
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #365
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably going to get creamed on this board for writing this, but from an artistic perspective, I am now loving this commission. I'm not a huge fan from an aesthetic perspective, but I sure as hell am one from an artistic perspective. This piece of art is invoking a response from all over. Good or bad, people are interpreting it and forming opinions, which is what art is supposed to do.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #366
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm probably going to get creamed on this board for writing this, but from an artistic perspective, I am now loving this commission. I'm not a huge fan from an aesthetic perspective, but I sure as hell am one from an artistic perspective. This piece of art is invoking a response from all over. Good or bad, people are interpreting it and forming opinions, which is what art is supposed to do.
Some things that are controversial can be art; however, something isn't art because it's controversial.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #367
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should head down and drive through Michigan. If burned out junk on the side of the road is your bag then Michigan is your Mecca.

That is such an ignorant opinion.

"All discussion and opinions are good! Art flourishes!! This is what great art does!!"

We paid $500K for a bunch of crap that was scrounged out of a dumpster. That doesnt make us connoisseurs, it makes us the complete opposite.

Even the Natives that they tried to defend themselves with are getting out of the way of this one.

It was a bad decision. Its terrible and we got fleeced. But its done. So either take it down and chock it up as a sunk cost or move along, but dont pat your own back about how its a legendary victory in the battle for the relevancy of art.

We got sold some rocks on sticks. And by all appearances they were our rocks and our sticks anyways.

Is the artist this guy?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #368
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I think the appropriation here is a bit different. This sculpture would have been fins as a stand alone piece with no indigenous reference at all. Instead the artist decided to throw the native card at it without doing any research or enough research. The sculpture is no different than any other sculpture he's ever done but he wanted to make it culturally significant by referencing our indigenous population in a pretty cheap way. It back fired. He's been called out for it and I think rightly so.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #369
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This piece of art is invoking a response from all over. Good or bad, people are interpreting it and forming opinions, which is what art is supposed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Some things that are controversial can be art; however, something isn't art because it's controversial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We paid $500K for a bunch of crap that was scrounged out of a dumpster. That doesnt make us connoisseurs, it makes us the complete opposite.
Give me $500,000 and I can make sure a massive pile of literal crap will be dumped along (and in the middle of the road). You can be absolutely sure that people will form opinions and be controversial.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #370
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Give me $500,000 and I can make sure a massive pile of literal crap will be dumped along (and in the middle of the road). You can be absolutely sure that people will form opinions and be controversial.
Perhaps you're the greatest artist of our age?

Controversy is art and art is controversy!!!

Go chemgear! Go and release the Philistines from their tormented existence!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #371
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...This piece of garbage is invoking a response from all over. Good or bad, people are interpreting it and forming opinions, which is what art is supposed to do.
fyp

Why wouldn't a $500,000 piece of garbage paid for with public money invoke a response from all over?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #372
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Art should evoke a reaction. Sometimes, art that provokes disgust has a purpose - to effect a change in society perhaps. However, when the disgust provoked is directed towards the piece of art itself, and the public art program, I fail to see how that can be what it was supposed to do.

This is like if someone took a bunch of wedding photos that made the bride look fat and ugly, and when she says they're garbage you say, "they're really making you react, that's what arts supposed to do!"

If this piece is really doing what it's supposed to, then the committee actually intended to purchase meta-commentary on the flaws of the public art process and we've got bigger problems than we think.

Specific pieces of art need to create specific reactions to be successful based on their purpose. And my list of what reactions Calgary's public art should create excludes most of the reactions this piece is creating.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #373
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Never understood the big brouahaha about cultural appropriation. No, having borderline racist sports emblems and names are poor, but most appropriation is simple innocent and fine. I shouldn't eat ginger beef?
Ginger beef was invented in Calgary. So we can all enjoy it guilt-free.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #374
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not what I ever said, or ever suggested. This is controversial art. Not art because it's controversial.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #375
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You should head down and drive through Michigan. If burned out junk on the side of the road is your bag then Michigan is your Mecca.

That is such an ignorant opinion.

"All discussion and opinions are good! Art flourishes!! This is what great art does!!"

Even the Natives that they tried to defend themselves with are getting out of the way of this one.

It was a bad decision. Its terrible and we got fleeced. But its done. So either take it down and chock it up as a sunk cost or move along, but dont pat your own back about how its a legendary victory in the battle for the relevancy of art.

We got sold some rocks on sticks. And by all appearances they were our rocks and our sticks anyways.

Is the artist this guy?

This response sums up my post very nicely. Thank you, Locke.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #376
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This response sums up my post very nicely. Thank you, Locke.
Ditto. Thanks Muta.

I always wonder about the meaning of that burnt out Pontiac on the side of the highways, it really illustrates the duality of man and the impermanence of life.

Oh...and its way cheaper than $500k.

Thanks Muta! You've clarified art!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #377
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not what I ever said, or ever suggested. This is controversial art. Not art because it's controversial.
Actually I disagree, this is only art because it's controversial, it has no other defining feature
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #378
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Actually I disagree, this is only art because it's controversial, it has no other defining feature
Disagree. It is controversial art. It was an artistic commission, and executed as such. Just because it isn't popular doesn't not make it art.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #379
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. It is controversial art. It was an artistic commission, and executed as such. Just because it isn't popular doesn't not make it art.
But being controversial doesn't add value to it. You're acting like that's a positive attribute of this piece, when it isn't.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #380
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But being controversial doesn't add value to it. You're acting like that's a positive attribute of this piece, when it isn't.
Its value is what it is - 1% of the project budget. If you think its value changes because it's controversial, that's your opinion, definitely not mine.