Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Even if (when?) Looch goes PPG in the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe, I’m not sure Seattle takes him and the rest of that contract, when they can get a young, cheapish, contributing player with more upside (Bennett or Kylington). I also don’t see Treliving adding anyone of note (with term) without subtracting a piece at the same time. I think he learned his lesson last time by wasting a second rounder in trying to “exploit” Ottawa by picking up Lazar.

Let’s see how the next two months plays out. Lots of time and opportunity for players to prove themselves worthy of their next contract, let alone being protected for next year’s expansion draft.

EDIT: exposing Backlund is also an interesting option — 32 is not “old” but he’ll certainly get there before his current contract is up.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #42
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Backlund has a NTC. He isn't going anywhere.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Well, he could go to Seattle if they choose to expose him. NTCs don't preclude exposure.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #44
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
The NTC doesn't keep him from being exposed in the expansion draft if the Flames so choose. Only a NMC can do that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #45
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Well, he could go to Seattle if they choose to expose him. NTCs don't preclude exposure.
Hmm. Surprised by that. He still isn't going anywhere.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #46
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is exposed and picked and becomes the captain of the Kraken.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Wow. Even if (when?) Looch goes PPG in the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe, I’m not sure Seattle takes him and the rest of that contract, when they can get a young, cheapish, contributing player with more upside (Bennett or Kylington). I also don’t see Treliving adding anyone of note (with term) without subtracting a piece at the same time. I think he learned his lesson last time by wasting a second rounder in trying to “exploit” Ottawa by picking up Lazar.

Let’s see how the next two months plays out. Lots of time and opportunity for players to prove themselves worthy of their next contract, let alone being protected for next year’s expansion draft.

EDIT: exposing Backlund is also an interesting option — 32 is not “old” but he’ll certainly get there before his current contract is up.
That was a great move. Unfortunately he grabbed a player that never materialized. But the play was a good one.

This time is different though, because he is long bodies. But I doubt that deters him from improving the team if he has an opportunity to do so.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #48
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund will be exposed. Not sure VG takes him over someone the younger guys
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #49
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

You also have to factor in who else the Kraken pick off the other teams, how well they are stocked at different positions. Just because the Flames have, say, an abundance of centres to pick from doesn't mean that Seattle takes a centre.

They may choose a defenceman with the idea it's easier to flip a defenceman for, say a prospect they can put in Palm Springs.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-13-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #50
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
This thread is 3 months too early no?
Nah the buzz from winning the Cup won't even be over by then. It's probably further out.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really surprises me how many think it will end up being Backlund exposed.

Bennett will have to still be here and will have had to have taken a MAJOR step forward or Treliving will have had to have acquired another really good C for that to happen IMO.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it'll be that the Flames get another good C and as Backlund gets older, his contract to output aren't ideal. Not saying he'll be garbage but I think he'll be supplanted by then and be pushed to the third line and it doesn't make sense to pay a third line guy over 5 mil.

Or it could be the same things I've said but instead of Backlund, it's Gio.

I honestly think one of the veteran leaders on the team will be a big part of the Kraken moving forward. Even if they take Gio just so they can trade him at that deadline.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #53
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Well, I'll say it, I'd leave Giordano and Gaudreau unprotected.

Gio is trending down, the last years of his contract are going to be poorer value as they go. He had an okay year, but he's just not the dominant defender he once was.

Gaudreau I just think we can replace or fill in for. It's been a long time since we saw Johnny Hockey. We have Johnny Nothanks right now, and at 6.9 or whatever he's at... yeah we need more production.

Early nomination for post of the century.

Even if you absolutely hate Johnny and think he’s a horrible player, surely you would have enough sense to understand that he has decent trade value.

Or probably you don’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #54
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not Gio I hope. Dude has completely lost his wheels.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Josh Anderson just had an injury riddled season where he scored one goal. He's not getting $6 million AAV or 6 years term.
It wont be much less....either now or next summer.

He isn't going to be signed based on this year, particularly when he was injured twice. This is a write off season for him.

Big hulking RS RW guys who can skate and score are rare in this league right now.

He will get a nice deal, likely from Columbus (if thats where he wants to play) as they are the only ones who can sign him long term.

Otherwise he takes the QO and become UFA and probably gets what is suggested above unless he completely craps the bed next season.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #56
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He isn't going to be signed based on this year, particularly when he was injured twice. This is a write off season for him.

Big hulking RS RW guys who can skate and score are rare in this league right now.

He will get a nice deal, likely from Columbus (if thats where he wants to play) as they are the only ones who can sign him long term.

Otherwise he takes the QO and become UFA and probably gets what is suggested above unless he completely craps the bed next season.
My bet is on the QO. He's still out with injury.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #57
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Anderson gets a 6x6 deal, I hope it's from one of the Flames rivals.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

It's not going to be based off this year so, what, it's going to be based off a rough average of >40 points before that?

$6 million is a pretty extreme amount for a player like Josh Anderson. People here think Bennett is overpaid at $2.5M, that would make Anderson overpaid at $4M.

The guys in the 40-50 point range who make over $5M generally signed their contracts a little younger, had proved more, or had exceeded wherever Anderson is at prior to signing their deal.

I think $3M to $4M is most likely, $5M if someone desperately overpays (i.e. he gets traded this year to a team that would be his first choice and they want to sign him past UFA).

$6M for 6 years though? If everything stays the same, that would make him the highest paid player of his calibre by a long shot, for a guy that has under .5 points per game and under .25 goals per game. He needs to take a one year deal and have a monster season to earn that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #59
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Steinberg seems to think other major moves may be made it feels like it is just signing some cheap vets to fill out the roster. Obviously the team can change a lot between now and the expansion draft. After expansion here is my updated list

Forwards:
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Monahan
Mangipane
Dube
Bennett

Notable exposed: Backlund, Lucic (waives NMC)

Defense
Andersson
Hanifin
Giordano

Notable exposed: Tanev, Kylington

Goalie
Markstrom

I am of the opinion the Flames could still add another Dman and consider exposing Giordano.

Reason I am exposing Backlund is even though it would be tough to lose him having that 5.3M in cap space open up could make it very easy to re-sign Valimaki, Dube, Bennett to their deals and make another free agent splash.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #60
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
While Steinberg seems to think other major moves may be made it feels like it is just signing some cheap vets to fill out the roster. Obviously the team can change a lot between now and the expansion draft. After expansion here is my updated list

Forwards:
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Monahan
Mangipane
Dube
Bennett

Notable exposed: Backlund, Lucic (waives NMC)

Defense
Andersson
Hanifin
Giordano

Notable exposed: Tanev, Kylington

Goalie
Markstrom

I am of the opinion the Flames could still add another Dman and consider exposing Giordano.

Reason I am exposing Backlund is even though it would be tough to lose him having that 5.3M in cap space open up could make it very easy to re-sign Valimaki, Dube, Bennett to their deals and make another free agent splash.
This seems pretty close to me based on what we know today.

I'd say that who gets exposed between Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund and Bennett will depend on a) if we add a forward without giving up one of the 7 above, and b) how their season progresses next year. I can't see it being Dube. But could see it being one of the other 3 depending on their season. I could also see a Gaudreau trade as well though, so there's a few what if's there.

I have to believe - that at 38, they would strongly consider making Gio available if they acquired another dman or Kylington really stepped it up this year.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GettinIggyWithIt For This Useful Post: