Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #21
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oboeus is my main character name.

FinnerTime is my secondary. I figured when he got really good at PVP i could spam "It's FinnerTime" to the guy i was destroying.

I moved over a few systems last night to a .9 pretty empty system and started mining Plagiocase as it's more profitable currently. The great thing about mining in an empty systems is it takes way longer for asteroids to pop (empty of minerals). Make about 3 or 4 million per hour now.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We could start a CP Corp though. Haha we'd need more then two though. Anyone else?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #23
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Great.....I've been wanting to try out a new type of MMORPG and this is starting to really interest me again. I tried to get back into WoW but not sure that is going to do it for me. Spose there is nothing wrong with giving it a few months.

PM me in game and i'll send you some cash.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #24
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is our corp's wiki page, there are many publicly viewable pages for newbies to get some good info out of:

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Main_Page
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post

Sweet, will do! Thanks

I took a quick look at the Eve webpage, do I need to select a proffesion of sorts? Looks like there was a scouting type proffesioin, an Economics one and one other class. What would be good a good solo class?

A CalgaryPuck corps would be awesome!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much cash are you sitting on right now Finner?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #27
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I took a quick look at the Eve webpage, do I need to select a proffesion of sorts? Looks like there was a scouting type proffesioin, an Economics one and one other class. What would be good a good solo class?
https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Basic_Character_Creation
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #28
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not a ton...since moving i realized how much more is to be earned in "quieter" systems, nor have i had much time since i got my retreiver.

All together maybe 15 - 20 million? Though that should go up pretty quickly.

In terms of professions, you can pretty much choose in game. The class you choose (As far as i know) doesnt really matter. Just the skills you choose in game.

I chose miner so i researched the skills to get into mining ships and increase mining yields, however lots you could do.

You could be an explorer, a trader, a manufacturer, miner, fighter, refiner, etc.

The class you select / race you select doesn't really matter because you can train any skill and become whatever you want. I can train for other races ships because they might have the best battlecruiser for example.

edit: I just read the article on that link you posted about restats. Didn't even think of that, i have a ton of points in Charisma that are nearly worthless.

Last edited by Finner; 12-17-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

How much a month is eve?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #30
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
How much a month is eve?
1-month-plan $ 14.95
3-month-plan $ 12.95
6-month-plan $ 11.95
12-month-plan $ 10.95

That's in USD.

However many people make so much in-game money (ISK) that they can actually pay for their subscription with that money. Players can buy PLEX cards that give you 30-60 days of game time, they usually go for about 300 million in-game (depending on the current market prices). For players in a low-sec or 0.0 space corp this kind of money is incredibly easy to come by, so they end up not paying a cent to play.

The market is one of the most intriguing parts of EVE, it is really a totally true free-for-all capitalist market. I remember reading an article in the Economist about how some have studied it and how it reacts to the players actions. If you are a producer or trader you can literally sit in a station all day and make money buying and selling goods.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #31
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...208-Eve-Online

It says it all. It seems like the only way to have any fun in EVE is to put your entire life into it and get heavily involved in a corporation and all that. For someone like me that wants to play casually, it ends up with me mining somewhere with the game minimized.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #32
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a low-risk gamer. I play games to have fun for me, so playing a game where someone like the Goon crew could come along and ruin everything I've done does not appeal to me in the slightest.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #33
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...208-Eve-Online

It says it all. It seems like the only way to have any fun in EVE is to put your entire life into it and get heavily involved in a corporation and all that. For someone like me that wants to play casually, it ends up with me mining somewhere with the game minimized.
Nah, you don't need to put your whole life into it. You just need to get into a good corp that is active enough that you can log on and have some good PVP opportunities. Goonwaffe has over 1800 members so there is always something going on.

Remember what I said in my first post, Eve is a terrible game. Don't play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm a low-risk gamer. I play games to have fun for me, so playing a game where someone like the Goon crew could come along and ruin everything I've done does not appeal to me in the slightest.
We live to make pubbies cry, heck we took down the largest corporation in Eve (Band of Brothers) back in 2007 or so. Technically the goons "won" Eve, and all the others cried about our "e-honour" and other such ridiculous notions in a game. A game about internet spaceships, serious business.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-18-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #34
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a ton...since moving i realized how much more is to be earned in "quieter" systems, nor have i had much time since i got my retreiver.
How is your Retriever fit?

A couple of fits for you:

High
2 Strip Miner I
Medium
Survey Scanner
Low
2x Inertia Stabilizer for better speed/align, or Small Armor Rep/Istab, or Warp Core Stab/Istab.

or:

High
2 Strip Miner II
Medium
Nothing
Low
Co-Processor I Mining Laser Upgrade I

(Requires Electronics V, or you could swap out Co-Proc I for Quantum Co-Proc I (but seriously you should train Electronics to V anyways). Or you could try training Electronics IV and Mining Upgrades III and get there a few days faster.)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #35
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
We live to make pubbies cry, heck we took down the largest corporation in Eve (Band of Brothers) back in 2007 or so. Technically the goons "won" Eve, and all the others cried about our "e-honour" and other such ridiculous notions in a game. A game about internet spaceships, serious business.
That's the thing, though. I don't mind that doing things like that is how some folks have fun in a game. Heck, I have even snickered at some of the things I have read about going on in EVE Online and other MMO's (though EVE is the worst for it).

I just know myself well enough to know that if I was playing a game like that, and it happened to me, I'd be upset. Which is too involved in a game for me. It's the same reason I didn't play on a PVP server in WoW. I didn't want to have my fun ruined by someone with nothing better to do than pick on someone on the internet.

For me, it's just a case of knowing what to avoid. In WoW's case, it was a pvp server. In EVE's case, it's the whole game.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #36
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear that, goons in Eve was best summed up by one of our members many years ago:

"You may be playing Eve online, but we are playing SomethingAwful."
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

This game sounds like 25% MMO fun and 75% playing the Auction house in WoW, and yet still the prospect of space ships over epic-flightform is very tempting.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #38
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Heart-Rate Factor

Due to the monetary, and long lasting effects of PvP combat, it is not uncommon for each participate to feel a jump in heart-rate during close encounters. Many pod pilots refer to this as their combat rush, adrenaline rush, or 'PvP High' along with many other phrases for the excitement of PvP in Eve.

However, PvP is not the most commonplace event in Eve, even when you are looking for a fight. Because of this, Eve is often compared to real world war and combat situations where you may often spend "hours of boredom for 60 seconds of gun blazing, heart wrenching, adrenaline pumped excitement
I think that's why people like "real" consequences for death...it adds a lot to the game.

For my Retriver i'm running:

High
2 Strip Miner 1

Medium
Nothing

Low
Mining Upgrade 1
CPU upgrade 1

My electronics skill isn't high enough yet to have a roid scanner in my middle slot.

I think Eve gets an unfair rap about being a spread sheet. No different then WoW really.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #39
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Reminds me of all the serious gamers getting their panties in a bunch over a free game on Steam called Moonbase Alpha, where you run "realistic" missions on the moon.

Thanks to a text-to-speech feature, the game has becoming popular for...having fun with the too-serious-players, and they're crying out about people ruining that "seriousness" of the game. If they didn't make such a big deal about it, then it wouldn't have gotten to the point it is now. Aren't you supposed to have fun with a game? (Note: the missions are NOT fun, they're typical scenarios astronauts deal with)

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #40
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Aren't you supposed to have fun with a game? (Note: the missions are NOT fun, they're typical scenarios astronauts deal with)
As mentioned in my earlier posts...different people have different definitions of fun, and game developers need to keep this in mind. Some people want to get immersed in a game/fantasy world and lose themselves, and some folks want to get under those folks skins.

If my idea of fun is completing missions of 'normal' astronauts on the moon, who are you to tell me that's wrong? If your idea of fun is to come along and try to ruin my fun...should you be allowed? I'd think that's where an unlimited 'ignore' feature would come in handy. Just toss the folks you aren't interested in, and away you go. I have my fun without your 'additions', you get your fun thinking you are ruining mine, and we are both happy.

As a note, this is why I tend to prefer/play single player games. I want to enjoy my time in game doing what I want(however I chose to do so), not spend my time dealing with someone else's social issues.

Tags
fat bee best bee , goonwaffles , internet spaceships , pew pew pew