Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Rockmelt Browser

http://www.rockmelt.com/

Marc Andreessen's new project (Netscape founder), a chromium-based browser with an emphasis on social networking and super-fast searching.

At first I thought this is only going to appeal to die-hard social networkers. But I can't help but wonder if we aren't going to see more of these features built into more mainstream browsers before long though if this catches on.

Of course it doesn't appear to be offering anything you can't get with a few plugins/extensions, but it's a select few who really use plugins and extensions.

Looks interesting, if for no reason other than its unique take on the UI (compared to today's mainstream browsers).

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 11-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even though I tweet semi-regularly, have foursquare on my iPhone and sometimes post on my blog I still feel like I must not be in their target market because this just gets a big meh from me :/

I don't use Facebook THAAAT much that I need it to live in my browser...same for Twitter.

Cool concept though...I'm just not sure who their market is. They might actually be *too* early to market
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Even though I tweet semi-regularly, have foursquare on my iPhone and sometimes post on my blog I still feel like I must not be in their target market because this just gets a big meh from me :/

I don't use Facebook THAAAT much that I need it to live in my browser...same for Twitter.

Cool concept though...I'm just not sure who their market is. They might actually be *too* early to market
Same for me.

It's an extremely cool concept and I love the integration - but as someone who doesn't use Facebook, it has little appeal to me.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll probably try it out for a week or so, just because I'd probably try out pretty much any webkit browser for a week or so.

I kinda like twitterrific on my 2nd monitor and facebook on my phone only.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

OMG.
I installed this today to humour a co-worker...and I fell in love (not with the co-worker).

This browser is amazing. RSS feeds (too bad no google reader support) for all your favourite sites on the right and Facebook chat on the left. Plus I think I've finally begun to find some value in twitter in a way that's manageable with this browser.

You guys have to try this.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote