Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #121
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trialst Nick Wood Signed.

Quote:
The 19-year old centre back joins from Sheffield Wednesday where he came through the youth system. He joined Tranmere on trial a week and a half ago and impressed in the pre-season friendlies against Nottingham Forest and Mansfield, scoring the first goal in the 2-0 win over Forest.
http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page...104080,00.html

Sounds promising, the team is rounding into shape!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #122
rich76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Well, if this is the "Noob OK" thread, then I am wondering if someone could clarify my understanding of the transfer process. How does that work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
If a player is under contract and is to be sold, the selling team usually has a price in mind of what they think the player is worth and it is up to the buying club to come up with the cash. The player then has to agree to personal terms (wages) and pass a medical.
This is a big difference between hockey trades and football transfers.

Because football currently is not subject to the salary cap, the contract does not travel with the player, and therefore the player always has the final say on whether he gets transferred or not.

In addition to the permanent transfers that NBC has talked about, there is also the possibility of a loan signing whereby the player is still under contract to one club, but is allowed to play for a second club on a temporary basis;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan_%28football%29

It enables younger players who are at bigger clubs (but no real chance of breaking into the first team on a permanent basis) match fitness and league experience.

It also gives teams struggling with injuries a chance to sign players on a short-term basis (often month-by-month, or maybe season-long).

David Beckham played a few games for Preston North End when he was younger.

Notable loan players at Bournemouth down the years have been Jermaine Defoe (who equalled the consecutive scoring record in league games at 10 in a row) and Rio Ferdinand.
rich76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rich76 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #123
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think one thing that has been missing from the English game is loaning young players to other leagues. English players have been accused or being one-dimensional. Why not loan these players to other leagues nearly like Belgium or France... learn a different way of playing!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #124
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think one thing that has been missing from the English game is loaning young players to other leagues. English players have been accused or being one-dimensional. Why not loan these players to other leagues nearly like Belgium or France... learn a different way of playing!
Why do that when the English way is the best?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Potential JPT opponents released.

The full list of regional groups is as follows:

Northern Section - West
Accrington Stanley
Macclesfield Town
Morecambe
Oldham Athletic
Port Vale
Rochdale
Shrewsbury Town
Tranmere Rovers

Northern Section - East
Chesterfield
Hartlepool United
Lincoln City
Northampton Town
Notts County
Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday
Walsall

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page...106208,00.html

Lookin at you Shrewsbury Town, you're goin down.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #126
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres going to be a friendly at 'The Gay Meadow' <- Not even making that up, no word of a lie, The Rovers take on Shrewsbury Town, a rival CP club and potential draw for the JPT.

The Gay Meadow....oh Shrewsbury....so affirmative action

Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #127
rich76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Theres going to be a friendly at 'The Gay Meadow' <- Not even making that up, no word of a lie, The Rovers take on Shrewsbury Town, a rival CP club and potential draw for the JPT.

The Gay Meadow....oh Shrewsbury....so affirmative action

Shrewsbury moved from their old ground a couple of years back - they now play at "The New Meadow"

Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #128
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Boooo can't be blowing 2 goal leads!

Quote:
A young Tranmere side continued their pre-season preparations with a disappointing 3-2 defeat at Altrincham.
Trialist Steve Connor and defender Zoumana Bakayogo gave Rovers a two-goal lead but they were undone by three goals in nine minutes by the non-league side.
Rovers will send a full first-team squad to face Shrewsbury on Saturday.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #129
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page....html#continue

Quote:
Tranmere's trip to League 2 side Shrewsbury ended in a 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat.
The home side took the lead on the stroke of half time and though Aaron Cresswell levelled for Tranmere, the Shrews responded within a few minutes to seal the win.
Rovers lined up with the majority of the players expected to start the first game of the season against Oldham, though trialist Max Blanchard was at right back. Tim Cathalina started for the second day in a row after also featuring at Altrincham, as Ian Goodison missed out. In attack Dale Jennings lined up alongside Enoch Showunmi and Ian Thomas-Moore with Terry Gornell not in the squad.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #130
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Once Tranmere started to get somewhat good in the Jim Steele/Ian Muir/Johnny Morrissey era it was like a dream. We started to get 5,000 and more in the stadium! One of my best memories was a last match of the season game against Crewe. I think there was 10000 or more in attendance. The match ended 1-1 and both teams were promoted. The pitch invasion at the end was incredible. Both sets of fans on the field hugging, shaking hands, chanting. It was freakin' awesome. I still get tingles up my spine even now thinking about it.
I got chills just reading this...I'm in. Gotta find a jersy.

Where can you watch the matches? Or do I get my uncle to capture them on his computer and email the dvds?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #131
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Season starts on Saturday!

From now until then Tranmere have one more friendly, Tuesday at home against some side called Liverpool XI!

Meanwhile predictions are coming in. This is from some guy...

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/spo...ue_One_title_/

Quote:
So, that being said, here are my top three and four relegation predictions.
Champions: Southampton
2nd: Sheffield Wednesday
Promoted via the play-offs: Charlton
Relegated: Exeter, Tranmere, Rochdale, Oldham

Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #132
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

^ That sounds reasonable. The Saints are the class of League 1 and should be promoted as division champions. Wednesday and the Addicks will have strong sides as well.

Tranmere will be in tough to stay up this season. Oldham were in the playoffs a few seasons ago and it would be nightmarish for them if they went down.

Judging by the what the pundits and bookies are saying, it'll take something substantial to keep Rovers up in League 1 this season.

But hey, I can't be too harsh on the CP community for backing them. At least it is something different from the typical support given to the big 4, plus a big 4 wannabe (Spurs). Life in the Football League is definitely a wild ride.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #133
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Think Wednesday can finish 2nd with all their financial troubles? They might be in freefall!

And we wanted to back a small struggling team. Makes it more fun when they do well!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #134
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/sport/8...of_new_season/

Quote:
LES Parry is preparing an injury-hit Tranmere Rovers for this weekend's opening home game of the n-power League One season against Oldham.
The Saturday afternoon fixture, which starts at 3pm, is expected to draw one of Prenton Park’s biggest crowds of the season.
But it is not without its headaches for Parry, because a few players look set to be missing from the squad, because of injury.
On the casualty list are midfielder Josh Labadie, centre-backs Marlon Broomes and Ian Goodison, Alan Mahon, Paul McLaren, Ash Taylor and Dutch striker Tim Cathalina.
Parry hopes some of the injured will be in training by the end of the week and is looking at bringing in other players.
He told Globe Sport: "We are struggling to put a side out and it's something we've always feared, but hoped it wouldn't happen this early in the season.
"It's something we feared, because we're only a small squad so it doesn't take that many injuries to cause us problems.
"We've got some problems with some injuries. If we can rest Ian until Thursday, he should be fine for Saturday. Paul McLaren doesn't look too serious, so he should be okay.
"Oldham is always going to be one of our biggest games of the season.
"It doesn't matter when we play them, it's always going to be a massive game and one of our biggest crowds, because it's only up the road.
"So for it to be the first game of the season to be here, they've got a new manager and a lot of new players, they're going to have the same expectations as every club's fans."
Some odds:

Tranmere:

To win promotion - 22/1
To be relegated - 11/4
Thomas-Moore to be League Top Scorer - 50/1

Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #135
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I got chills just reading this...I'm in. Gotta find a jersy.

Where can you watch the matches? Or do I get my uncle to capture them on his computer and email the dvds?
If you could do that, that would be awesome.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #136
rich76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you could do that, that would be awesome.

If you "have" a UK IP address, you can watch highlights from all 3 lower leagues on the BBC, either as individual matches directly here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8199491.stm

Or via the weekly Football League Highlights show on iPlayer;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/sport/football/

You would be hard pushed to find full games anywhere unless the match were televised live (unlikely for Division 1).
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #137
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

aaaaww..

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page...109626,00.html

Quote:
A young Tranmere team lost 2-0 against a Liverpool XI in Rovers' final home pre-season friendly of the summer.
With the start of the npower League 1 season just days away and Les Parry's squad carrying several injuries, Rovers opted to field a side containing a mixture of first team squad players, youth players and trialists.
Liam Darville, Max Blanchard, Marc Manga, Adam McGurk and Jake Simpson were all given a chance to impress the Manager while there was a place for first year scholar Will Vaulks at centre back. Liverpool too lined up with a young side with former Rovers coach John McMahon in the dugout.
Ready for the season now!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #138
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Loan Signing!

Quote:
Tranmere have signed Leeds United defender Liam Darville on a one-month emergency loan deal. The 19-year-old right-back played for Tranmere as a trialist in the 2-0 defeat by Liverpool on Tuesday night.
"I'm really pleased to be able to bring Liam in on loan," said Rovers manager Les Parry.
"With defenders Ash Taylor and Marlon Broomes definitely out of the start of the season due to injury we are short of options at the back."

He added: "As we saw on Tuesday, he's a talented young defender and I'm grateful to Leeds and Simon Grayson for allowing him to join us for a month."
Darville has also represented England at Under-17 level and spent part of last season on loan at Rotherham

Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #139
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanna play the 'Can You Rock the Crossbar' game!

Quote:
At every home game in 2010-11, three supporters over the age of 14 will have the chance to take three shots at the cross bar from the edge of the 'D' on the penalty area during half time. Everyone skillful, or lucky, enough to hit the bar with one of their three shots will win a signed ball and place in the end of season semi-finals for hitting the bar.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #140
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I wanna play the 'Can You Rock the Crossbar' game!
No wonder the Brits always lose in shootouts, hitting the crossbar!